Facebook may have to stop serving Europe if data protection ruling is enforced

pythonmegapixel
11 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Well they kinda have... Facebook and Twitter really have little to no appeal among younger generations anymore.

Facebook, being a huge company, cleverly snapped up Instagram and Snapchat.  But I reckon even if they hadn't, those two platforms would have beaten them.

Besides, Facebook comes from a time before mobile platforms were widespread, so it will naturally be less attractive in modern situations than Instagram and Snapchat, which were designed from the ground up for mobile devices.

Facebook is for old people yes. But Twitter? Uh what? News to me. I know younger people like that cancer like tiktok but I don't think you can compare that to twitter and Facebook.  Different types of social media. 

They'll just end up like mixer.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

2 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

Facebook is for old people yes. But Twitter? Uh what? News to me. I know younger people like that cancer like tiktok but I don't think you can compare that to twitter and Facebook.  Different types of social media.

Twitter might be here to stay for a while. But they're doing an even worse job at evolving than Facebook anyway, so eventually they'll go the same way. I think you'll find a large proportion of high school age kids and younger university students have Snapchat and Instagram installed on their phones, but not Twitter.

But what the hell does Twitter have to do with this anyway?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

52 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

Lol really? No way you can actually believe that.

That a no name social media site can take over Facebook and Twitter. Never going to happen. 

Never say never. Yes i do believe that, Facebook is on it's way, unless they have some radical innovation than having to snatch competitions.

People use Facebook merely to "register" them self to the online world, beyond that, it's loosing it's social functions.

Most of all my peers are moving away from it and just use a basic way to stay intouch : group chat.

Instagram and Snapchat will stay a lot longer, as the main corporation slowly implode.

40 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Well they kinda have... Facebook and Twitter really have little to no appeal among younger generations anymore.

Agree. Kids don't wanna mix with mom's and pop's friends.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

But what the hell does Twitter have to do with this anyway?

it is like the biggest social media site? which is what we were talking about.

You trolling me?

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

3 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Nothing, for you and me.

But thousands of people who have relied, perhaps naïvely, on Facebook to store memories, to run their business, or to keep contact with others, could find all of that wiped up.

I'm not sure it would be wiped out, though. Facebook would probably keep what it already has, and while it would no longer offer services in the EU, it could not be ordered by the EU (where it no longer would operate) to destroy it. People could easily circumvent the restrictions with VPNs, so they could arrange something for them if they so desire. It may not be a bad idea for Facebook users in the EU to download what they currently have there (I think they offer something similar to what Google's "download my data", but I could be mistaken).

it is like the biggest social media site? which is what we were talking about.

You trolling me?

@kaylexmorganaBut they're not Facebook, which is the topic of this thread.

Also unlike Facebook they are - rightly or wrongly - not under scrutiny by the EU. Which, again, I'd the topic of this thread

Unlike Facebook, Twitter still remains slightly popular with younger generations (though less so than other platforms) but there is no way that will stay the same.

Want yet another example? See the downfall of MySpace. From something that everyone had, do a little thing in the background that hardly anyone knows still exists. And with all the mistakes Reddit is making, it looks like it will go the same way.

And it happens it other industries too. Before cars were mass produced, trams and streetcars were the defacto means to get around, but then cars and buses quickly took over.

It can - and in my opinion will - happen. It's just a matter of time

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I know what I want for xmas!!!Come on 2020, give us at least one good thing!!

That might be a big loss for Facebook as they have a lot of users in Europe. But I think they will find some way.