using xmp is it safe?

Cyneptic

hi, so my cpu is a i7 4790k and i have 16gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram

I noticed my motherboard (asus z-97k) has an xmp profile which I turned on

it has synced all my cpu cores to 4599 MHz max and 4399 MHz min

though temperature is fine at idle (havent stress tested yet) i noticed the voltage default is increased from 1.26-7 to 1.315-25 in cpu-z

is using this profile safe? or should i go and turn it off 

also my motherboard had a powersaving mode which i set to performance.

XMP is fine. RAM OEMs are not going to program in XMP profiles that cause their sticks to self-immolate.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

XMP is fine. RAM OEMs are not going to program in XMP profiles that cause their sticks to self-immolate.

im more worried about my cpu. it has increased its core voltage and even though performance has increased SIGNIFICANTLY and i have a water cooler. when i stress test for like 1-2 seconds it goes upto 88-89. and to not reach 90 i immediately stop it.

2 minutes ago, Cyneptic said:

im more worried about my cpu. it has increased its core voltage and even though performance has increased SIGNIFICANTLY and i have a water cooler. when i stress test for like 1-2 seconds it goes upto 88-89. and to not reach 90 i immediately stop it.

At 1.31V?! What cooler do you have?

1 minute ago, dfsgsfa said:

xmp means overclocked your sys, your cpu is no longer undee warranty

its too old anyway

yeah i know its no longer under warranty, im just wondering if its gonna die on me with this settings

25 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

its too old anyway

That just...no. XMP does not void your warranty.

26 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

its too old anyway

Even if it was, the only way they'll know is if you tell them.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Even if it was, the only way they'll know is if you tell them.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That just...no. XMP does not void your warranty.

guys the cpu is too old its warranty is already gone.but is it safe. after 10 seconds of stress test at 100% load it went to 95, so i'm scared to leave it more.

but normally when within the game its sitting at 70-75

can i safely keep this setting without the cpu dying on me or worse frying?

without xmp max ingame is 69-70. so its only a 5 degree increase under load. but huge difference when at max. without xmp i hardly reach 80 , probably never.

but with it, after 10 seconds went to 95

3 minutes ago, Cyneptic said:

guys the cpu is too old its warranty is already gone.but is it safe. after 10 seconds of stress test at 100% load it went to 95, so i'm scared to leave it more.

without xmp max ingame is 69-70. so its only a 5 degree increase under load. but huge difference when at max. without xmp i hardly reach 80 , probably never.

I'm aware I'm just saying even if it was under warranty, xmp shouldn't be an issue unless you go telling them under rma you turned on all the oc stuff

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

20 minutes ago, Cyneptic said:

When’s the last time you removed the cooler, cleaned out the system and changed thermal paste?

Using XMP should not OC your CPU or use TurboEnhancers like it currently is.

Is likely why he is concerned.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

XMP has been advertised by Intel for years as a safe way to increase RAM speed. The more modern CPUs are "specced" to be able to handle 2666-3200mhz and you can go higher if you have the money and decent cooling. You can't even reach those RAM speeds without enabling XMP because DDR4 RAM defaults to 2133 or 2400mhz on most systems. You can find videos by LTT, Gamers Nexus, and JayzTwoCents, etc. that delve into it.

Whatever that "Performance" setting is probably put an all-core overclock on your CPU and synced the cores. If there is a "Standard" option, change it to that or put it back on "Power Saving."

I can't find any LTT videos that are relevant to your situation in a Youtube search, so below is my favorite one by Jay.

Edited by Taco Annihilator
Did not complete post before posting.

7 minutes ago, Taco Annihilator said:

XMP has been advertised by Intel for years as a safe way to increase RAM speed. The more modern CPUs are "specced" to be able to handle 2666-3200mhz and you can go higher if you have the money and decent cooling. You can't even reach those RAM speeds without enabling XMP because DDR4 RAM defaults to 2133 or 2400mhz on most systems. You can find videos by LTT, Gamers Nexus, and JayzTwoCents, etc. that delve into it.

Whatever that "Performance" setting is probably put an all-core overclock on your CPU and synced the cores. If there is a "Standard" option, change it to that or put it back on "Power Saving."

I can't find any LTT videos that are relevant to your situation in a Youtube search, so below is my favorite one by Jay.

Love the title to the video.

"XMP vs Overclock"

99% of the time the XMP profile is the integrated memory controller's overclock lol. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Love the title to the video.

"XMP vs Overclock"

Titles be damned, it was the best video explanation of why you should just enable XMP that I've found to date lol.

3 minutes ago, Taco Annihilator said:

Titles be damned, it was the best video explanation of why you should just enable XMP that I've found to date lol.

Lol. Indeed!

Tweaking memory can take hours. Even just to run some modules at their rated XMP profile. 

A lot of boards, when turning on XMP, will try to do some other stuff like MCE or w/e. So I get that.

8 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

A lot of boards, when turning on XMP, will try to do some other stuff like MCE or w/e. So I get that.

I think Asus boards of that era certainly did. If you turn on XMP it would immediately ask you it you want something like enhanced turbo, which is MCE, which I now decline.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 minutes ago, porina said:

I think Asus boards of that era certainly did. If you turn on XMP it would immediately ask you it you want something like enhanced turbo, which is MCE, which I now decline.

so OP should just redo the XMP and just not use the "also toast your CPU" setting?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity