Questions regarding dual monitor setups

CWellB

Hi everyone,

I currently use a PG279Q on an rtx 2080ti and I am looking to add a second monitor strictly for productivity purposes. I am looking for insights from the community regarding pros/cons and things to be aware of when doing various multi monitor setups as I have never done this before. I appreciate any help offered.

I am currently looking at potentially using this https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_1953_1957&item_id=170350   as the second monitor unless there are glaring issues with this idea.

Will I run into issues using a second monitor that is not G sync like the PG279Q?

Will I encounter odd behaviour when trying to run games on the PG279Q? Can I run a game while still using the second monitor simultaneously to display a video?

I am using display port for the PG279Q, must I also for the second monitor or can I use hdmi without issue?

Any other insights definitely welcome, thank you everyone.

Don't mix resolutions like that, it's super annoying in a bunch of small ways. Everything on the second monitor will be slightly enlarged

I've never bumped into problems mixing refresh rates but I know others have

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

10 minutes ago, CWellB said:

Will I run into issues using a second monitor that is not G sync like the PG279Q?

No, multi-monitors and GSync works fine together from my experience with it.

Will I encounter odd behaviour when trying to run games on the PG279Q? Can I run a game while still using the second monitor simultaneously to display a video?

That depends. Most games will default to running on the primary monitor, so if the PG279Q is not the primary monitor, you may have trouble getting some games to run on it as not all games allow you to choose. If you set it as primary though, you'll have no issues. You'll probably want to run games in Windowed boarderless as alt-tabbing out is much quicker than in true fullscreen. 

I am using display port for the PG279Q, must I also for the second monitor or can I use hdmi without issue?

No need to use the same. I have 3 monitors connected via DP and 2 via HDMI, no issues. 

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Don't mix resolutions like that, it's super annoying in a bunch of small ways. Everything on the second monitor will be slightly enlarged

You do get used to it. The difference between 1080p and 1440p isn't too bad. I used to have a 4K monitor that I only ever ran at 1440p because the difference between 4K and 1080p with multiple monitors is genuinely terrible and Windows scaling is even worse. 1440p and 1080p together are fine if you ask me though. 

9 minutes ago, CWellB said:

nope

you can control gsync for monitors individually

same goes for refresh rate

Will I encounter odd behaviour when trying to run games on the PG279Q?

not to my knowledge

some games may pop up at the 2nd screen (very rare if you set the main display right), but just have to set the display to the proper one in settings and it's all good

11 minutes ago, CWellB said:

Can I run a game while still using the second monitor simultaneously to display a video?

yes, i've never had issue with it

though i've seen people complain about doing so will make their game/video choppy, not sure what's wrong

12 minutes ago, CWellB said:

you can use any connection you want, even pass-through from iGPU if you have one (though AMD iGPU has issues when dGPU is plugged in from all i've seen, intel has been flawless in my record for this regard)

14 minutes ago, CWellB said:

Any other insights definitely welcome

mixing resolution works, but it can be annoying to use/navigate as windows will resize when you drag them across screens and your cursor might get stuck at corners of the larger resolution while trying to navigate from one screen to the next, not a great experience.

i've used dual monitor on my main desktop for 2 years now, half a year later i bought an extra for my bedside setup because i cant live without a 2nd monitor, it's just so good

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You do get used to it. The difference between 1080p and 1440p isn't too bad. I used to have a 4K monitor that I only ever ran at 1440p because the difference between 4K and 1080p with multiple monitors is genuinely terrible and Windows scaling is even worse. 1440p and 1080p together are fine if you ask me though. 

Yeah, I agree. I just found it easier to manage running the same resolutions across the board. Probably a personal preference

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Yeah, I agree. I just found it easier to manage running the same resolutions across the board. Probably a personal preference

Definitely the better choice if it's an option. 

I personally use 5 monitors and not willing to move them all to 1440p to just match the one :D

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Definitely the better choice if it's an option. 

I personally use 5 monitors and not willing to move them all to 1440p to just match the one :D

5 monitoring XD why do you need that??

11 minutes ago, BlazerBuddy said:

5 monitoring XD why do you need that??

I mostly had it just so I could have pretty much everything I was using open without needing to switch monitors. 

Since working from home with Covid and all that, it's proved to be extremely useful for the work I do. 

Mine are setup in a kind of odd way though compared to most multi-monitor setups:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.2e9f3011eceed4f108c163fbd57dafbd.jpg

Absolutely don't need it, but I also don't really NEED a desktop PC or home server, but technology/IT is both my hobby and work so I mostly have it because I enjoy it, while also being useful for my profession.

42 minutes ago, CWellB said:

add a second monitor strictly for productivity purposes.

Might I suggest a 21:9 screen. They are great for productivity. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.