Youtube accused of exploiting children's data in UK

porina

YouTube is facing a legal battle for allegedly breaching the privacy and data rights of under-13s in the UK.

A claim lodged with the High Court against parent company Google accuses the firm of collecting children's data without parental consent.

Privacy expert Duncan McCann, who is bringing the action, argues this is a breach of UK and European (EU) law.

A YouTube spokesperson said it does not comment on pending litigation and the platform is not for use by under-13s.

Source

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54140676

Summary

In short, Youtube is being accused for unlawfully using the data of children in the UK since the EU General Protection Data Regulations and UK Data Protection Act became law in 2018. If successful there could be damages awarded of the order of hundreds of pounds for each violation (£1=US$1.27 at time of writing). Youtube's response is along the lines that the platform is not for use by under 13's, which could still leave some wiggle room as to the definition of "children" in this use case.

My thoughts

If this sounds familiar, it is. Youtube already went through a similar argument with COPPA requirements in the US last year, where from memory they came out with a fine and saying they'll change their ways. This had a serious impact to some content creators who content may be considered "made for children". The response was essentially to try and pass the buck to the content creators, who now must declare if their content is "made for children" or not. If declared as such, monetisation is not possible.

It remains to be seen how this goes in the UK. The laws will be different, so don't expect it to necessarily take the same route.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

24 minutes ago, porina said:

the platform is not for use by under 13's

So I guess that's why YouTube kids exist, huh. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

"Personalized ads" and data harvesting analytics should be outlawed,

And when it comes to the web the word consent must be defined clearly within the law since it's abused by websites and advertisers,for example:

Atro.thumb.png.ec61b0f7c27b3a283aa24a90af00b938.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

And when it comes to the web the word consent must be defined clearly within the law since it's abused by websites and advertisers,for example:

Yeah, the whole concept of implicitly consenting to something on the web gets really messy from a legal perspective real fast, since it's really hard to figure out if the user actually did consent, or just wanted the notification to go away. But then again, implicit consent is a complicated topic in real life as well.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Even is “Personalized Ads” were to be outlawed, how would enforcement work? Given the skill of the programmers on hand (and probably not a lot of emphasis on ethics in this field vs pursuing ambition), Google can probably go much more covert to conceal wrongdoing. Do we go so far as to demand regular code audits? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

54 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

how would enforcement work?

It can work like GDPR,it works and that's what matters.

56 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Google can probably go much more covert to conceal wrongdoing. Do we go so far as to demand regular code audits? 

Traffic and script analysis of websites is easy,i do that from time to time.

There are also a lot of extensions that will alert you if a malicious or data harvesting scripts are detected.

Here is one data harvesting script that i found during the analysis of this very page on the forums:

https://ssl.google-analytics.com/ga.js

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 hour ago, adithyay328 said:

Yeah, the whole concept of implicitly consenting to something on the web gets really messy from a legal perspective real fast, since it's really hard to figure out if the user actually did consent, or just wanted the notification to go away. But then again, implicit consent is a complicated topic in real life as well.

Consent in regards to the web must be defined by the law as an active act,

Because even if i didn't press any agree button,they still claim that i consented because i visited their website,

It's like saying that i have to order in a restaurant because i entered it and don't have an option to say no.

Youtube kids have always been a strange place. Guess it's not too different from regular youtube data harvesting.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

We have YT kids for you know, kids. That one is for them. 

Kappa

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 hours ago, Vishera said:

I think that there should be limitations, but really outlawing that kind of thing comes with consequences.  Depending how things go, I could see CPM dropping, more smaller sites would have to move towards more intrusive ads...or non-skippable ads on websites...etc.  Not saying that it would happen, but there is a good chance it would if it was outlawed.

It also would in general mean a worse experience.  Google comes to mind, it is good because of things such as data mining and such.  [Anyone who points to duckduckgo remember that ultimately since it uses results from other places it is inherently utilizes data mining (even though their users aren't being data mined, some of the results would have been garnered from people who did)]

To the topic though

Things like this are what makes startups harder and harder.  (Either do the straight and narrow and get no userbase because you need to go through so many hoops to show that the user is over 13, or ignore it and hope you become big enough to withstand a suit like this)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It also would in general mean a worse experience.  Google comes to mind

Are you sure about it?,Users were happy in 2006 before those privacy invasions took place.

And i wouldn't mind to get ads like back then if it means no privacy invasions.

Kid: Mom can we have YouTube

Mon: We have YouTube at home.

YouTube at home:

YouTube Kids - An App Made Just For Kids

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Are you sure about it?,Users were happy in 2006 before those privacy invasions took place.

And i wouldn't mind to get ads like back then if it means no privacy invasions.

The introduction of tracking for ads was what likely saved google.  It also allowed for better searches when that data was used.

Yes, users were happy in 2006, but they were also happy with their flip phones back then (search engines were still different back then, and a lot more primitive)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef