"Minimum" GPU to run a single 1080p monitor

mao91

TL;DR version today, because typing hard - Audio engineer. Home studio occupies different floors of the house. Current PC (specs in signature) is in mix room upstairs but is being relegated to vocal booth on main floor, replacing old laptop. New PC is going in mix room. Vocal booth = 1x1080p monitor. Mix room = 2x 1080p + 1x 4k monitors. New PC will reuse current GTX970 to save initial build cost and the card is perfect to drive my monitors. Need a cheap (like $25-35) used graphics card for current soon-to-be-relegated PC that can drive a single 1080p monitor. Recommendations? I'm not savvy on older hardware so while my budget for it is minuscule, I still want a good deal.

For those still confused:

CURRENT SITUATION

MIX ROOM:

- X99 system. i7-5820k CPU, GTX970 GPU. 

- 2x 1080p + 1x 4k monitor.

VOCAL BOOTH:

- 2011 laptop. i7-2720qm. 

NEW SITUATION TO COME

MIX ROOM:

- X570 system. 3700X CPU (no integrated graphics), GTX970 GPU (will move GPU from current system to this one).

- 2x 1080p + 1x 4k monitor.

VOCAL BOOTH:

- X99 system. i7-5820k CPU. GPU is what I am looking for here.

- 1x 1080p monitor (the only thing that GPU will have to drive)

If you are still confused, you are likely experiencing a PEBCAK error and should refrain from commenting.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Buy a CPU with an iGPU, so anything from Intel (without an F at the end) or one of AMD's chips that ends in a G. Any dedicated card that cheap is a waste of money.

Edited by BobVonBob
Forgot about the F chips, they don't have an iGPU

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

(like $25-35) graphics card

why not getting a cpu with integrated graphics, or do you need a bit more performance than that ?

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

9 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Buy a CPU with an iGPU, so anything from Intel (without an F at the end) or one of AMD's chips that ends in a G. Any dedicated card that cheap is a waste of money.

9 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

why not getting a cpu with integrated graphics, or do you need a bit more performance than that ?

Perhaps in my effort to be succinct I was not sufficiently clear in my OP.  If you look at the specs in my signature (which I referenced previously) you can see that my current PC is X99. I am keeping this PC but moving it to a new location where it will only need to drive a single 1080p monitor. It will not be used for gaming. So I'm looking for a sort of "minimum" graphics card option to put in it.

for which cpu?

anyway, used rx570 =gtx970 is always the best deal, ~$70, i got mine for $63

lower end will be gt1030 / 750ti but not really worth the price

1 minute ago, dfsgsfa said:

for which cpu?

anyway, used rx570 =gtx970 is always the best deal, ~$70, i got mine for $63

lower end will be gt1030 / 750ti but not really worth the price

Hello,

As I mentioned in my OP and in my reply, you can see my system specs in my signature. My CPU has no integrated graphics option. As I also mentioned in my OP, my budget for this "bare minimum 1080p" graphics card is $35. Please read the OP and my replies to answer your questions.

1 minute ago, B.Toast said:

Perhaps in my efforts to be succinct I was not sufficiently clear in my OP.  If you look at the specs in my signature (which I referenced previously) you can see that my current PC is X99. I am keeping this PC but moving it to a new location where it will only need to drive a single 1080p monitor. It will not be used for gaming. So I'm looking for a sort of "minimum" graphics card option to put in it.

Oh I see. If all it needs to do is display just grab anything a few generations old off Ebay. A GT 710 is my go-to for "it just needs to show an image".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

9 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Perhaps in my efforts to be succinct I was not sufficiently clear in my OP.

my bad, i figured you were building a new rig, i would heavily recommend looking at the used market 

EDIT: cause even the bare minimum cards are overpriced to buy new, you will save a few bucks buying used , but if you cant find any good deals the 710 new is good enough (the Gigabyte version is 35$ on amazon)

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

1 minute ago, Tamesh16 said:

my bad, i figured you were building a new rig, i would heavily recommend looking at the used market 

I had assumed my mention of a $35 budget would imply used, but I have updated my OP to reflect this. I understand I will be buying used. I am trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for.

Look on ebay for older stuff like GT 710, maybe even GT 210 if all you need is 2D 1080p 

You could also look at 10$ cards like Radeon HD 6xxx , HD 7xxx (these may only have the built in windows 10 drivers) ,  from around 12-15$ you have AMD R5 230, R5 240, R7 2xx  ....   lots of these are pulled from oem dell / hp machines so they're really cheap..

AMD cards will have 2-3 outputs, at the very least. 

You'll also find cheap nvidia quadro cards but like with hd series cards you may only get the built in windows 10 driver with minimal 2d acceleration. 

well... do bear in mind that nvidia dropped 600 series from driver support recently, so 700 series is next

if that matters to you of course

if you only need display out, any PCIE GPU made in the last 10 years will do

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

55 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well... do bear in mind that nvidia dropped 600 series from driver support recently, so 700 series is next

Yeah looks like I can snag a zotak or msi gt710 for right arouund $30-35 which will be perfect for this.

56 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

That's wrong... they dropped Fermi and they dropped Kepler mobile, but they did not drop 600 series cards. I have a Kepler based GT 630 with the latest drivers working well.

1 minute ago, B.Toast said:

Yeah looks like I can snag a zotak or msi gt710 for right arouund $30-35 which will be perfect for this.

GT 720 is basically the same price and slightly faster. Alternatively, you can get an R7 250x for $30 to $35.

Just now, brian105 said:

That's wrong... they dropped Fermi and they dropped Kepler mobile, but they did not drop 600 series cards. I have a Kepler based GT 630 with the latest drivers working well.

i remember not seeing 600 series on the driver compatible list, maybe i misremembered

regardless, 600 and 700 series cards are on the edge of driver support, though may still last thru 4 to 5 years for 1 or 2 more gens

9 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Why do you say "without an F at the end"?

10 hours ago, B.Toast said:

TL;DR version today, because typing hard - Audio engineer. Home studio occupies different floors of the house. Current PC (specs in signature) is in mix room upstairs but is being relegated to vocal booth on main floor, replacing old laptop. New PC is going in mix room. Vocal booth = 1x1080p monitor. Mix room = 2x 1080p + 1x 4k monitors. New PC will reuse current GTX970 to save initial build cost and the card is perfect to drive my monitors. Need a cheap (like $25-35) used graphics card for current soon-to-be-relegated PC that can drive a single 1080p monitor. Recommendations? I'm not savvy on older hardware so while my budget for it is minuscule, I still want a good deal.

Not sure what you will need as far as CPU power, but you could get a new (or used) Ryzen 3 2200g/3200g or Ryzen 5 2400g/3400g w/ igpu which would be more than enough to run a single 1080 monitor.

12 hours ago, brian105 said:

GT 720 is basically the same price and slightly faster. Alternatively, you can get an R7 250x for $30 to $35.

That would be great. I'm looking at the GT710 and GT720 since both have available fanless models, which I'd likely prefer. No fan = no noise. 

12 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i remember not seeing 600 series on the driver compatible list, maybe i misremembered

regardless, 600 and 700 series cards are on the edge of driver support, though may still last thru 4 to 5 years for 1 or 2 more gens

As long as I can find a driver somewhere, I can always download and created a backup of the file for later use. I still have backups of all of the drivers for my laptop from 2011.

3 hours ago, steelo said:

Not sure what you will need as far as CPU power, but you could get a new (or used) Ryzen 3 2200g/3200g or Ryzen 5 2400g/3400g w/ igpu which would be more than enough to run a single 1080 monitor.

Again, please read the OP carefully before commenting.

3 hours ago, B.Toast said:

As long as I can find a driver somewhere, I can always download and created a backup of the file for later use. I still have backups of all of the drivers for my laptop from 2011.

well Nvidia keeps every single driver they released afaik, so shouldnt have an issue there

From the used market.

Best options, I think, would be any of the following:

• GeForce GT 730 / 720 / 710
  • AMD R5 240
  • AMD R7 250 / 250X

Check to make sure it has the output(s) that you need; they come with a mix of VGA / DVI / HDMI / DP ports, depending on the variant / model.

These also come in pull width PCI-E, or low-profile PCI-E variants.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

7 hours ago, -rascal- said:

From the used market.

Best options, I think, would be any of the following:

• GeForce GT 730 / 720 / 710
  • AMD R5 240
  • AMD R7 250 / 250X

Check to make sure it has the output(s) that you need; they come with a mix of VGA / DVI / HDMI / DP ports, depending on the variant / model.

These also come in pull width PCI-E, or low-profile PCI-E variants.

These are the options I am currently looking into. Thank you, and thank all of you, for your suggestions and help.

10 hours ago, B.Toast said:

These are the options I am currently looking into. Thank you, and thank all of you, for your suggestions and help.

Be careful with the GT 730. nVidia thought it was real clever when it released both a Fermi version and a Kepler version of the card. The Fermi version is obviously inferior and is no longer supported by the newest drivers.