Nintendo planning Switch upgrade with 4K

Jet_ski
1 minute ago, Dreeda said:

Higher FPS (120/144) is cool and all but what % of current gen TV's in people home's are actually able to output over 60 fps without 40 ms latency? 95% of the console buyers don't even care about that, and probably never will.

We aren't talking about 120fps, we're talking about even a steady 30fps.  Every modern TV can show 60fps.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

We aren't talking about 120fps, we're talking about even a steady 30fps.  Every modern TV can show 60fps.

I was mostly responding to "someone" wanting 120/144hz+ on console, it seems useless to me.

60 fps is all we really need on console.

8 minutes ago, Dreeda said:

I was mostly responding to people wanting 120/144hz+ on console, it seems useless to me.

I don't see anyone saying that.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah Dave Lee made a video about why he doesn't like consoles targeting higher resolutions and they'd do better to focus on 1080p with better framerates instead.

I'd pick 1080p at a locked 144 fps over 4k at a shaky 40 any day.

Haha nice meme. Maybe make 1080p120 actually. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I could see the possibility of bumping the hardware to make the thing 1080p capable and then doing some sort of upsampling to make it work (sort of) at 4k on televisions. They might need the hardware to run newer games.  They’ve already got stuff like witcherIII running though.  Remember the switch is both a battery operated handheld and a standard wall power console depending on whether it’s docked or not.  I think putting a 4k screen on the handheld is stupid. My guess would be leave the handheld screen at 720p because of battery power restrictions, but possibly upgrading internal hardware in the handheld, the dock, or both, to make things look better on 4k TVs. The Nintendo’s strength has always been as a handheld.  I don’t think Nintendo will compromise that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

IMO this only makes sense if there is a new dock that will handle the increased resolution. like a docked gpu. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

4 hours ago, Vector0102 said:

I mean, if there's a 4k version of a switch, cant people just dock it to a TV and play at 4k? or can the existing version do that too? Im sure 4k will be a massive upgrade over 720p/1080p (whatever the switch runs at)

I read the article like this too. It doesn’t make sense to put a 4K display on a small console. But outputting 4K to a TV would be a nice upgrade.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's manageable, usually at the expense of lowering the frame rate to 30.  Even then, games like Fallen Order can't always maintain 1080p@30fps.  60fps should be way more important than resolution.

Depends on the game

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

22 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends on the game

Of course, but it shouldn't.  60fps shouldn't be hard to get at 1080p when you're paying $500.  The problem is consoles are being designed to focus on lower frame rates and "higher" (but not really) resolution.

Your original statement was that it could easily handle 1080p, which isn't accurate.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Of course, but it shouldn't.  60fps shouldn't be hard to get at 1080p when you're paying $500.  The problem is consoles are being designed to focus on lower frame rates and "higher" (but not really) resolution.

Your original statement was that it could easily handle 1080p, which isn't accurate.

Hehehe Flight Sim 2020 get 60FPS on that at 1080p for $500 for the GPU alone.

Can handle 1080p30 on the more demanding games and it's severely limited by the CPU. On the less demanding games it can hit 60.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I wonder if this means they will update the SoC or if they will just update the dock to support 4K output (if it doesn't already).

If they change SoC, which one will they upgrade to? They use the Tegra X1 right now but later chips from Nvidia have mostly been focused on automotive applications.

I imagine they will update the dock itself and introduce some of that secret sauce magic they used on their Shield TV devices to use AI for "4K upscaling", and call it a day. Honestly, nobody needs 4K resolutions on a small handheld gaming device, so they will probably introduce an expensive eGPU-style dock with some extra magic software algorithms built in. If they can pull this off and let the dock itself work with current Switch devices, that'd be pretty neat, but I doubt that would be the case.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

Hehehe Flight Sim 2020 get 60FPS on that at 1080p for $500 just the GPU

Can handle 1080p30 on the more demanding games and it's severely limited by the CPU. On the less demanding games it can hit 60.

That's not "easily" though.  Surely you can see the point I'm making?  If not, I'm tired of trying to explain it.

27 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's not "easily" though.  Surely you can see the point I'm making?  If not, I'm tired of trying to explain it.

It runs games at 1080p30 at worst, it doesn't have to downscale. 

@Jet_ski Please add a Quote to your topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, Dreeda said:

I was mostly responding to "someone" wanting 120/144hz+ on console, it seems useless to me.

many TVs now do 120 and even if you can't display it means quicker response times.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The higher the resolution, the more heat will build up. Nintendo must have been smoking some real serious shit if they really planning that.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 hours ago, Vector0102 said:

I mean, if there's a 4k version of a switch, cant people just dock it to a TV and play at 4k? or can the existing version do that too? Im sure 4k will be a massive upgrade over 720p/1080p (whatever the switch runs at)

Spoiler. Look up the USB-C spec. HDMI over USB-C is HDMI 1.4b (4Kp24). Displayport 4K or 8K is 60hz only.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Spoiler. Look up the USB-C spec. HDMI over USB-C is HDMI 1.4b (4Kp24). Displayport 4K or 8K is 60hz only.

I'm not very confident that even an upgraded switch can even max out 4k@60 tho.

52 minutes ago, Vector0102 said:

I'm not very confident that even an upgraded switch can even max out 4k@60 tho.

It's more than likely that a SoC can do 4K, but I doubt you could design a SoC GPU for 4K without a 5nm dieshrink. the existing X1 is a 16nm part.