What to I upgrade on my old PC to get ready for RTX3070?

QueenObama
Go to solution Solved by SFFDesigns,
1 minute ago, QueenObama said:

Hey, thank you for answering! This motherboard should be fine for the RTX 3070 right ?

Sure is.

I've got a B550 Tomahawk with a 3080 right now, works great!

Budget (including currency):499 (RTX 3070) + 300$ for upgrades.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming 720p 60 fps + Valorant, Warzone, GTAV, New games.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fredfredyjoe4/saved/#view=6vgsYJ Also I have an SSD already

Hello everyone, I built this PC around 3ish years ago, now that I am in college, working, and have extra money and don't have to save 5 years of birthday/Christmas money to buy a new PC, I want to upgrade. This RTX 3070 anoucement is the exact upgrade I can justify, its cheap (relative to previous new graphics cards) and will last me the next 4-5 years. What I don't know or quite understand which I guess other people wont know till information comes out is if I need to upgrade the motherboard, power supply, and any other components. I for sure want to upgrade my CPU because I want to be able to Stream using just one PC and as well this CPU needs an upgrade. I know AMD is winning the Race over Intel but I dont understand quite what CPU fits my budget and which is the best. If anyone can help me figure out what to upgrade to within my new budget that would be appreciated. I am trying to be able to eventually use a 244hz monitor when those become cheaper.

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

Then do whatever the fuck you were going to do anyway

2 minutes ago, QueenObama said:

Budget (including currency):499 (RTX 3080) + 300$ for upgrades.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming 720p 60 fps + Valorant, Warzone, GTAV, New games.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fredfredyjoe4/saved/#view=6vgsYJ Also I have an SSD already

Hello everyone, I built this PC around 3ish years ago, now that I am in college, working, and have extra money and don't have to save 5 years of birthday/Christmas money to buy a new PC, I want to upgrade. This RTX 3080 anoucement is the exact upgrade I can justify, its cheap (relative to previous new graphics cards) and will last me the next 4-5 years. What I don't know or quite understand which I guess other people wont know till information comes out is if I need to upgrade the motherboard, power supply, and any other components. I for sure want to upgrade my CPU because I want to be able to Stream using just one PC and as well this CPU needs an upgrade. I know AMD is winning the Race over Intel but I dont understand quite what CPU fits my budget and which is the best. If anyone can help me figure out what to upgrade to within my new budget that would be appreciated. I am trying to be able to eventually use a 244hz monitor when those become cheaper.

Current specs?

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Current specs?

Its in the PC part picker link

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

The main thing to consider is your power supply -- recommended specs for the 3080 is 750w.  I wouldn't even worry about that, though; unless you overclock, I doubt you'll run into any issues -- you'll just run your PSU a little hotter than it's optimum power band.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 minutes ago, QueenObama said:

Its in the PC part picker link

The psu won't cut it. Also is it correct that you do not ahve a 6700k? If not then that is pretty unfortunate.

20 minutes ago, QueenObama said:

499 (RTX 3080)

Good luck with that... launch price is US$699.

19 minutes ago, QueenObama said:

244hz monitor

That'll be either 144Hz or 240hz...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Good luck with that... launch price is US$699.

edited * ups

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

Do you have a 240Hz or a 4K monitor?

For 1080p60, a 3070 would be much preferable and you'd want to increase your upgrade budget by a lot. For $300 you won't find a big CPU upgrade buying new since you're talking CPU + Motherboard

As mentioned, that PSU will not cut it. The capacity is fine, but the model is old and very bad. Another thing to throw into consideration.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Assuming you have $1k total, here's a proposed upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.00 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $513.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-07 18:12 EDT-0400

+ RTX 3070

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Assuming you have $1k total, here's a proposed upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.00 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $513.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-07 18:12 EDT-0400

+ RTX 3070

Hey Energycore Thank you so much for being helpful, this is what I was looking for!!! Of course I will go in and look at all parts but will this MicroATX board fit in my case? Also is that motherboard PCIE 4? Jayztwocents talked about that being potentially needed for the future. Also Could I save 25$ and keep the cpu Cooler I currently have?

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

2 hours ago, QueenObama said:

Hey Energycore Thank you so much for being helpful, this is what I was looking for!!! Of course I will go in and look at all parts but will this MicroATX board fit in my case? Also is that motherboard PCIE 4? Jayztwocents talked about that being potentially needed for the future. Also Could I save 25$ and keep the cpu Cooler I currently have?

B550 motherboards do have PCIe Gen 4. Not that you'll need it anyway, the 2080 Ti barely saw a performance difference between 3.0 x16 and 3.0 x8 (which are respectively half and a quarter of the bandwidth of 4.0 x16).

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Hey if you still follow this post I could use your help, Amazon Prime Deal has this CPU and Motherboard for sale for a good price I think, Can you tell me if this is a good idea?

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-16-Threads-Unlocked-Processor-Motherboard/dp/B08K3FDVWS?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_349e4521_60&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-core, 16-Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor Without Cooler with MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

1 hour ago, QueenObama said:

Hey if you still follow this post I could use your help, Amazon Prime Deal has this CPU and Motherboard for sale for a good price I think, Can you tell me if this is a good idea?

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-16-Threads-Unlocked-Processor-Motherboard/dp/B08K3FDVWS?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_349e4521_60&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-core, 16-Threads Unlocked Desktop Processor Without Cooler with MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard

Good deal! I would have gone for that if I could. Same cost as 3700X + B550 Tomahawk bought separately, you'll just need a cooler

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

5 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Good deal! I would have gone for that if I could. Same cost as 3700X + B550 Tomahawk bought separately, you'll just need a cooler

Hey, thank you for answering! This motherboard should be fine for the RTX 3070 right ?

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

1 minute ago, QueenObama said:

Sure is.

I've got a B550 Tomahawk with a 3080 right now, works great!

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1