The RTX 3000 FAQ - Check this first!

St. Nick

The entire forum right now is alight with questions about the RTX 3000 Cards, Most of them are variations on the same questions. So Here is a list of the most frequently asked questions. Please read this first. Thank you!

Q: Will my powersupply work with the new RTX 3000 Cards

• A: NVIDIA gave the recommended power supply wattage's for use with the RTX cards  when paired with the most power hungry mainstream CPU in their presentation. These are 650W for the 3070 and 750W for the 3080 and 3090. The cards themselves take 220W, 320W and 350W respectively. Depending on your CPU, motherboard and other components most systems will not go past around 200~250w so if you are above 750w you are almost guaranteed to be fine unless you run a Threadripper or Xeon system. For everything else 650W will be perfectly fine even with a 3090. 

Q: What about the new 12 pin connector?! Do I need a new powersupply!?

• A: No, you will be fine with your standard ATX or SFX power supply. The 12 pin connector so far has only been confirmed to be on NVIDIA's owner founders editions and even then it comes with an adapter that lets you use 2 8 PIN cables to power it. You do not need a new powersupply. Moreover, the board partner cards (Those made by brands like Gigabyte, MSI, Gainsward, Zotac and such) will probably use standard 8 pin or even 6 pin connectors. I have seen at least one that takes 3 8 pin cables however, so make sure that your power supply does have enough cables for the specific card you are using, however in most cases if the wattage question we answered before checked out, you will be fine here too! 

Q: Is CPU X good enough not to bottleneck the new RTX 3000 cards?

1. First off, bottleneck is not a great term to be using here. A bottleneck in the strictest sense exists in every system. The slowest component in the chain between CPU, RAM, Storage Medium, Chipset and GPU will always hold the others back from performing at the pinnacle of their ability. ALWAYS. However whether you experience any bottlenecks that severely hamper your performance depends on many factors. How many programs are running in the background, what program am I running and quantum mumbojumbo happening elsewhere in the universe. Aka random factors. There just isn't a yes or no answer to this question. What you are actually asking is: how much FPS will i lose with this CPU compared to a 10900K, and under conventional wisdom this depends on your chosen resolution! Right now your CPU matters most at 1080p, less at 1440p and even less at 4k however this may not necessarily be true for the 3000 series. 
  2. Second, we just do not know. Even conjecture based on how the 2000 series performed with certain CPU's as above, is just a guess at this point. Nvidia's new RTX I/O may change this completely. Like the PS4 the flow of assets to your GPU has been changed radically allowing for theorethically much greater performance while bypassing the CPU. It may well be that this changes the load from your CPU to your SSD, it may well be that your motherboard chipset becomes the deciding factor and it may well be that AMD systems with GEN 4 PCI-E hold the deciding advantage regardless of which CPU. Or this may end up not having as big an effect as it seems it might. We have no data to tell you so you will just have to wait for benchmarks. Any other answer is a GUESS at best. 

Q: Will I need PCI Gen4 to run the new cards?

• A: No, according to NVIDIA the difference between Gen 3 and gen 4 is minimal for the cards. It may well be, however, that gen 4 SSD's with their faster speeds make your card perform faster due to RTX I/O. However, as before. We do not actually know how this will affect performance yet. Wait for Benchmarks!

Q: When will these cards be out?!

• A: The 3080 is set to launch on september 17th, The 3090 will launch on september the 24th.  A week later and the 3070 will come somewhere in October. Board Partners have begun announcing their own cards but assume they will come a little later and that these cards may not be available at launch quite yet. Everyone wants them and they will probably sell out quick! If you really want a founders edition on Day 1, go to the NVIDIA site for your region and click the button that says: Let me know any new info on when I can tell you to shut up and take my money NVIDIA!

Q: OK! But what will they cost if I'm not paying in freedom dollars?!

Q: Will the RTX 3000 cards fit in my case?

• A: This completely depends on your case but other then the 3090 the cards don't seem that much bigger then current cards. Partner models WILL have different dimensions. As always research your chosen model of card and your case. Specs will come, wait for them!

Q: Should I upgrade?

• A: Can you afford it? Do you have better places to spend the money? Will you gain any real benefits from upgrading? Will you be able to feed your family if you buy it? Upgrade only if you can answer all of these with yes.

Q: This all sounds great, But my cash is burning a hole in my pocket! WHEN CAN I PREORDER!? 

• A: Magic 8 ball says: Ask again later. No preorders of any sort have been announced. We simply do not know. Look under the question about release dates for advice on what to do if you just cannot wait!

This needs to be temporarily pinned, time to start spamming this link!

Hot Mist (Main PC)

Case: NZXT H700 Black (Signed by LTT) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | Cooler: EKWB AIO CPU Cooler 360mm, with 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Gaming Motherboard | RAM: 2x G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF Gaming 24GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200i Platinum 1200W, CableMod PRO AXi Cable Kit Black/White | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG27UQ, 2x ASUS ROG PG27AQ | Peripherals: Razer Huntsman Elite (Red Switches), Razer Mamba Wireless, Elgato Stream Deck Mini | Audio: Sony MDR-M1ST, Audio Technica AT2020, Audio Technica BP40, Rode PSA1 Boom Arm, Topping D70 (Bluetooth) DAC, Drop x THX AAA 789 Amp, Rode RODECaster Pro Audio Interface, Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | PCIe: Elgato HD60 Pro | Webcams: Logitech C922, Logitech BRIO 4K | Other:  iPad 7th Gen 32GB

Self Loathing (Portable Gear)

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ (Exynos 990) | Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm (w/ Pink Strap) | Audio: Samsung Galaxy Buds+ (Black), FiiO BTR5 Bluetooth AMP/DAC | Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz), Razer Mamba Elite | Other: Spektrum Prospek-50 Arctic (Prescription)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Case: BLOODYRIPPA Luxury Watch Box 12 Grids | IEMs: Audio Technica ATH-CKR100iS, TINHiFi P1, FiiO FH7, Audio Technica ATH-E70, Shouer TapePioneer SE-CH9T (BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! Roselia Collaboration Model), Moondrop S8, Moondrop Starfield, Kinera Nanna, IKKO OH7, IKKO OH10

So Head? (Headphone Collection)

Hooks: 2x Razer Headset Stand, 1x Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | Headphones: Kingston Hyper X Cloud II, Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Sony MDR-CD900STBeyerdynamic TYGR 300 R, Sennheiser HD600Sennheiser HD6xx, Cooler Master MH751

Crossed out means they are too be purchased, on the way for delivery, or broken and planning to repair.

Spoiler

Nuf Repus (Arcade PC) (upcoming)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Wi-Fi Motherboard | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 1650 EX OC 4GB | PSU: Corsair RM550x Gold 550W | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Monitor: Viewsonic VX3276-2K | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Yellow Switches), Razer Deathadder Elite, 2x Dance mat EX PRO + The Handbar | Audio: 2x Klipsch R-610F Floorstanding Home Speaker, Behringer A800 AMP | Webcam:  Logitech C922

Sound Euphonium (Music Setup) (upcoming)

Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz) | Monitors: LG 24BL650C-B, 5x iPad 7th Gen 32GBInstruments: ESP Electric Guitar Random Star (Red), Yamaha APX600, ESP Electric Bass Viper (Pink), Roland RD-88, Pearl Export Double Bass 8-Piece Drum Set (Black Cherry Glitter), Neumann TLM 103Audio: 5x Sony MDR-CD900ST, speakers5x PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 Audio Interface, Golden Age Project PRE-73 MKIII | Webcams: 5x Logitech C922, 5x Logitech BRIO 4K

right now seeing the word "RTX", "3070", "3080", or "3090" will trigger my fight or flight response

so thanks for this thread, time to annoy people by spamming/quoting this pls dont spam this thread without context, add relevant reply first before linking this thread for additional info

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Please let me know if there are any other pressing questions I missed and I will update this FAQ with awnsers! Thank you!

I simply like this, thank you LOL.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

Please let me know if there are any other pressing questions I missed and I will update this FAQ with awnsers! Thank you!

You could also include that the 12pin is pretty much the FE only and an adapter to 2x8pin is included. Many people think they need new PSUs because of that.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Should I Upgrade?

Hot Mist (Main PC)

Case: NZXT H700 Black (Signed by LTT) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | Cooler: EKWB AIO CPU Cooler 360mm, with 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Gaming Motherboard | RAM: 2x G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF Gaming 24GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200i Platinum 1200W, CableMod PRO AXi Cable Kit Black/White | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG27UQ, 2x ASUS ROG PG27AQ | Peripherals: Razer Huntsman Elite (Red Switches), Razer Mamba Wireless, Elgato Stream Deck Mini | Audio: Sony MDR-M1ST, Audio Technica AT2020, Audio Technica BP40, Rode PSA1 Boom Arm, Topping D70 (Bluetooth) DAC, Drop x THX AAA 789 Amp, Rode RODECaster Pro Audio Interface, Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | PCIe: Elgato HD60 Pro | Webcams: Logitech C922, Logitech BRIO 4K | Other:  iPad 7th Gen 32GB

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ (Exynos 990) | Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm (w/ Pink Strap) | Audio: Samsung Galaxy Buds+ (Black), FiiO BTR5 Bluetooth AMP/DAC | Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz), Razer Mamba Elite | Other: Spektrum Prospek-50 Arctic (Prescription)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Case: BLOODYRIPPA Luxury Watch Box 12 Grids | IEMs: Audio Technica ATH-CKR100iS, TINHiFi P1, FiiO FH7, Audio Technica ATH-E70, Shouer TapePioneer SE-CH9T (BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! Roselia Collaboration Model), Moondrop S8, Moondrop Starfield, Kinera Nanna, IKKO OH7, IKKO OH10

Hooks: 2x Razer Headset Stand, 1x Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | Headphones: Kingston Hyper X Cloud II, Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Sony MDR-CD900STBeyerdynamic TYGR 300 R, Sennheiser HD600Sennheiser HD6xx, Cooler Master MH751

Crossed out means they are too be purchased, on the way for delivery, or broken and planning to repair.

Spoiler

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Wi-Fi Motherboard | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 1650 EX OC 4GB | PSU: Corsair RM550x Gold 550W | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Monitor: Viewsonic VX3276-2K | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Yellow Switches), Razer Deathadder Elite, 2x Dance mat EX PRO + The Handbar | Audio: 2x Klipsch R-610F Floorstanding Home Speaker, Behringer A800 AMP | Webcam:  Logitech C922

Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz) | Monitors: LG 24BL650C-B, 5x iPad 7th Gen 32GBInstruments: ESP Electric Guitar Random Star (Red), Yamaha APX600, ESP Electric Bass Viper (Pink), Roland RD-88, Pearl Export Double Bass 8-Piece Drum Set (Black Cherry Glitter), Neumann TLM 103Audio: 5x Sony MDR-CD900ST, speakers5x PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 Audio Interface, Golden Age Project PRE-73 MKIII | Webcams: 5x Logitech C922, 5x Logitech BRIO 4K

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You should also maybe include the release dates in a section so people know when the cards start coming out.

We don't know about a release date afaik. 

10 minutes ago, Alex Ushigome said:

Should I Upgrade?

Depends, I'm thinking of upgrading my 3100 to a 3080/90 and I think that'll be a nice upgrade. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

24 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

For everything else 650W will be perfectly fine even with a 3090

🤔

I hope so but not so sure.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You should also maybe include the release dates in a section so people know when the cards start coming out.

13 minutes ago, Alex Ushigome said:

Should I Upgrade?

14 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

You could also include that the 12pin is pretty much the FE only and an adapter to 2x8pin is included. Many people think they need new PSUs because of that.

These are some excellent questions and they have been added to the list!

Will LTT be testing and comparing the new cards with PCIE 3 vs. PCIE 4? 
I’m interested to see what different performance one would get. 
Thanks 

A: Can you afford it? Do you have better places to spend the money? Will you gain any real benefits from upgrading? Will you be able to feed your family if you buy it? Upgrade only if you can awnser all of these with yes.

the answer to the first question should be no.

Hot Mist (Main PC)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Spoiler

Just now, bostonbongrips said:

Thanks 

Hopefully! I can't give an official awnser to that one. I am not with LTT in any way shape or form.

1 minute ago, bostonbongrips said:

Thanks 

nobody knows until they make a video, because nobody can see the future, but I would assume they will address it.

Hot Mist (Main PC)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bostonbongrips said:

Thanks 

Probably every major techtuber will be testing/talking about that.

i think the question 

what does the 30XX will cost in X country? should be added

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

2 minutes ago, Oswin said:

i think the question 

what does the 30XX will cost in X country? should be added

I would love to, but I'll need help putting that one together. Every country will be diffrent especially in europe since list prices generally include tax. And every country does tax diffrently. Heck pretty sure every US state does to XD

2 minutes ago, bostonbongrips said:

Release dates are late sept - early Oct 

Does anyone know if YouTubers usually get the cards beforehand? 

Steve said the press hadn't even been briefed before the release video. The 3080 is comming in exactly 14 days. if they get  it sooner it won't be by much.

Edit: the source for the exact dates is the nvidia site. They are listed on there as 17th and 24th respectively.

10 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

I would love to, but I'll need help putting that one together. Every country will be diffrent especially in europe since list prices generally include tax. And every country does tax diffrently. Heck pretty sure every US state does to XD

tbh i'd just link them to nvidia's website for each respective country with notes regarding that this price may change depending on tax, which manufacturer they bought it from etc.

or the list will just go on and on 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/location-selector/

most countries listed here should already have prices in the "buy" section for the 3090-3070

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

@St. Nick, I've edited your title and part of the opening paragraph. This is forum and we do encourage of asking questions and discussion. You can and should create threads like this, but it will not be treated as only valid option.

41 minutes ago, Alex Ushigome said:

This needs to be temporarily pinned, time to start spamming this link!

38 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

so thanks for this thread, time to annoy people by spamming/quoting this

No and please don't. Forum is for discussion and this will blow over in a week or two. Its same for every major release. If you go on just spamming this link and not replying properly, that will be seen as pointless or unhelpful in the eyes of moderation team.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just a question. 

Im thinking of a 3070, and a new 3600 (or 3600 replacement when 4000 comes out) to replace my i5-7400 and rx 480. Should I get the CPU or GPU first?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Forum is for discussion and this will blow over in a week or two. Its same for every major release. If you go on just spamming this link and not replying properly, that will be seen as pointless or unhelpful in the eyes of moderation team.

meant as sarcasm, but it's a good place to link to after replying with relevant info to OP

ie: 550W is fine, assuming it's of good quality

for more RTX 30 series info, check out this thread

<link to this thread>

edit: i edited my post to be clearer

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately