I'm planning on pre-ordering a 3080 for my 4790k system...

GuruMeditationError

Am I being dumb...? ...(if "yes" please say why)  :0)

Here's my spec:

Monitor:

Asus ROG Swift PG278QR (2560 x 1440) 165Hz

System:

4790k with a 4.7GHz overclock
32GB 2666 MHz RAM
Asus Z97-WS (Motherboard)
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB NVMe M.2
EVGA Supernova 850 T2 (PSU)

Using the founders edition card prices as a rough guide, a 3080 will cost me 180 more than a 3070...

...180 won't buy me a system upgrade, but it might get me better performance if I invest it into buying a 3080.

Is it worth spending the extra 180 for a 3080...? ...or will the performance increase the 3080 would give me not be worth that extra money? 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

until there has been proper reviews there is just no way of knowing.

though its quite likely that your processor will bottleneck the GPU

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

The 3070 is a better option imo. Don't think you can fully harness the power of the 3080 unless you plan to upgrade the system later on then get the 3080.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

3 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Am I being dumb...? ...(if "yes" please say why)  :0)

Yeah. I would get the 3070, then spend the 200 left over on a r5 3600. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Am I being dumb...?

preordering is almost entirely a bad idea. it encourages bad industry practices and could instill buyer's remorse pretty easily.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

preordering is almost entirely a bad idea. it encourages bad industry practices and could instill buyer's remorse pretty easily.

Yup 

wait it for team red then look at both, compare and then buy

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Buying an RTX 3080 for your system is a fine idea, but I'm hesitant about recommending you to pre-order.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

40 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

until there has been proper reviews there is just no way of knowing.

though its quite likely that your processor will bottleneck the GPU

39 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

The 3070 is a better option imo. Don't think you can fully harness the power of the 3080 unless you plan to upgrade the system later on then get the 3080.

Yeah, I'd love to know how much of an improvement a 3080 is over a 3070 before ordering.

Also, not planning on upgrading until 2022. Hoping for a full system build incorporating RTX 4000 series. Going to start putting money aside for it as soon as I've purchesd the 3000 series card.

38 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Yeah. I would get the 3070, then spend the 200 left over on a r5 3600. 

But I'd have to buy a new motherboard and new RAM, and probably a new cooler, so even if I bought budget stuff it'd still be more expensive and I'm not sure budget stuff is good value.

38 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I know, but I want the founders edition and I'm worried I won't get one unless I pre-order. :0/

27 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Yup 

wait it for team red then look at both, compare and then buy

Unfortunately I'm tied to Nvidia because I still use 3D Vision

11 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Buying an RTX 3080 for your system is a fine idea, but I'm hesitant about recommending you to pre-order.

Why not pre-order?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

2 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

The thing is I'd have to buy a new motherboard and new RAM so even if I bought budget stuff it'd still be more expensive and I'm not sure budget stuff is good value.

IK. a decent b550 would be 100, a 3600 175, and the ram, about 75. The best ram (IMO) would be Ripjaws, there is a 3600 cl16 2x8 gb kit for 75 right now. You will see a low performance increase due to a cpu/ram bottleneck. So 850 for the new platform/3070, or 700 for the 3080. the extra 150 will increase performance a lot more than the 700 on the 3080.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

IK. a decent b550 would be 100, a 3600 175, and the ram, about 75. The best ram (IMO) would be Ripjaws, there is a 3600 cl16 2x8 gb kit for 75 right now. You will see a low performance increase due to a cpu/ram bottleneck. So 850 for the new platform/3070, or 700 for the 3080. the extra 150 will increase performance a lot more than the 700 on the 3080.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'll have to give it some thought.

I was planning on getting as much use out of my current setup as I possibly could, so that I'd get more for my money when I finally upgraded but maybe that's not the way to go.

I think I'd still want the 3080, even if I upgraded the rest of the system, but if I sold off the parts of my existing gaming PC it might be doable.

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'll have to give it some thought.

I was planning on getting as much use out of my current setup as I possibly could, so that I'd get more for my money when I finally upgraded but maybe that's not the way to go.

I think I'd still want the 3080, even if I upgraded the rest of the system, but if I sold off the parts of my existing gaming PC it might be doable.

thats the spirit.

I think 400-500 would be doable, if you sell with all together, i cant look up individual prices rn.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

thats the spirit.

I think 400-500 would be doable, if you sell with all together, i cant look up individual prices rn.

Yeah, maybe; I'll have to think about it.

My plan was to play through the older titles in my Steam Library using the current build an then upgrading later when the current build wasn't quite cutting it anymore...

...but I must say I would like to play Cyberpunk 2077 with all the bells and whistles.

It's like driving a Lamborghini on a dirt road; 

- Is it faster than your regular car? Probably.

- Is it as fast as that Lambo could possibly go? No.

In the end it's still a Lambo and you're still gonna vroom vroom. 

Mdh3abE.png

Potato

10 minutes ago, jollander said:

It's like driving a Lamborghini on a dirt road; 

- Is it faster than your regular car? Probably.

- Is it as fast as that Lambo could possibly go? No.

In the end it's still a Lambo and you're still gonna vroom vroom. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aMdh3abE.png

Lol, :0)

Also...it's Linus' Lambo...! ...it's orange!!  :p

But yeah, I know what you mean.

Bottom line for me is I want something that can get me at least 120fps at either 1080p or 1440p (I've got monitors for both) so that I can enjoy games in Nvidia 3D Vision...

...and it's not like there's much better value at the moment than at least a 3070, so...

2 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Lol, :0)

Also...hey! it's Linus' Lambo, it's orange!  :p

But yeah, I know what you mean.

Bottom line for me was I want something that can get me at least 120fps at either 1080p or 1440p (I've got monitors for both) so that I can enjoy games in Nvidia 3D Vision...

...and it's not like there's much better value at the moment than at least a 3070, so...

I used to have a 4970k with a 1080 back in the day, and it was great on games that didn't put a heavy load on the cpu, but games like WoW sometimes stumped it.

Potato

5 minutes ago, jollander said:

I used to have a 4970k with a 1080 back in the day, and it was great on games that didn't put a heavy load on the cpu, but games like WoW sometimes stumped it.

Yeah, the stuff I play isn't too CPU intensive? I don't play a lot of RTS for instance, or mmorpgs. I just want a steady minimum 120fps for 60fps in 3D. 

Maybe it is time to upgrade. :0/

Given the games I play and how they perform, I couldn’t use any card within the past 5 years with that cpu. 
I could but I’d rather not have such hindered performance. 
I may get a 3070 as that’s prolly gonna push the limit of my current cpu. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

I may get a 3070 as that’s prolly gonna push the limit of my current cpu. 

Since your current rig is an Intel, it's going to be hindered anyways. (no PCIe 4.0, even if it only affects loading times)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Im pretty sure a 4790k would bottleneck the shit out of your 3080, especially at 1080p. At 4k it wouldn't be as bad, but with the limited cores and threads of a 4790k i wouldnt throw down money on an expensive gpu without a cpu upgrade in the very near future, otherwise you're just wasting money.

Many games are becoming more cpu oriented, and even beyond limiting fps it could cause an overall less smoother experience, especially if you multitask or run numerous apps. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

5 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

4790k with a 4.7GHz overclock
32GB 2666 MHz RAM

You need to upgrade. You're going to be hitting a CPU bottleneck hard in most newer games with that CPU and a 3080.

2 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Maybe it is time to upgrade. :0/

Yes, it definitely is. A 6 year old CPU is not going to be good on newer stuff, even if it is a 4-core 8-thread. A Ryzen 5 3600 should improve performance by 10-100%, (for anything except single-core, which is virtually identical) and 3600 RAM will improve it even further. In addition, the AMD platform has an upgrade path that gets you the next gen of CPUs without having to replace motherboard or RAM.

This PassMark benchmark score sheet is pretty telling for comparisons between the chips...PassmarkScores.png.3973ec431b9e6b33a6aeceb68eb52d3b.png

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

22 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Since your current rig is an Intel, it's going to be hindered anyways. (no PCIe 4.0, even if it only affects loading times)

It was already hindered with a 1080. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Unfortunately I'm tied to Nvidia because I still use 3D Vision

Those 3D glasses Nvidia tried to sell us as „ the future of gaming „ ?

cool 

are they still supported?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

9 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Those 3D glasses Nvidia tried to sell us as „ the future of gaming „ ?

cool 

are they still supported?

No, they've withdrawn support. But there is still a community, with quite a few "shader hackers" converting games.

It's a pain to keep it all working, but if you're into 3D it's worth it.

It doesn't support ray tracing and you generally have to turn off shadows and things like that, but if you're into 3D the trade off is easily worth it.

17 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

You need to upgrade. You're going to be hitting a CPU bottleneck hard in most newer games with that CPU and a 3080.

Yes, it definitely is. A 6 year old CPU is not going to be good on newer stuff, even if it is a 4-core 8-thread. A Ryzen 5 3600 should improve performance by 10-100%, (for anything except single-core, which is virtually identical) and 3600 RAM will improve it even further. In addition, the AMD platform has an upgrade path that gets you the next gen of CPUs without having to replace motherboard or RAM.

This PassMark benchmark score sheet is pretty telling for comparisons between the chips...PassmarkScores.png.3973ec431b9e6b33a6aeceb68eb52d3b.png

So, I've now decided against buying a 3080, and I'm now aiming to upgrade my motherboard, CPU & RAM...

...the problem is: I have no money, so I'm not going to be able to build a new system until the 3000 series refresh. 

This leaves me with the problem that I do still need a graphics card, because I'm still stuck gaming on a GTX 970 (I know, right?)

I had an RTX 2070 that I had to sell, but, as an example, in Witcher 3 it wasn't quite getting me the 120fps I was looking for for 60fps with Nvidia 3D Vision, so I at least want something more powerful than an RTX 2070. I don't really want to buy a second-hand 2080ti when I can buy a new 3070, so...maybe I should buy a 3070...?

...because I need a new graphics card regardless, and the 3070 now seems to be the best option. The question for me at this point is, what would the extra 180 for a 3080 get me; will it get me over the 120fps boundary I need for 3D vision in a few more of the games on my play list than the 3070 would, so that I can play a few more games at 60fps in 3D while waiting to upgrade?  In that case, considering I can sell the 3080 further on, it might still be worth paying the extra for it...the longer I can wait to upgrade, the more money I'll have for the upgrade and the more that money will buy. It's a very specific question however and we've not yet even seen the benchmarks.

57 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

No, they've withdrawn support. But there is still a community, with quite a few "shader hackers" converting games.

It's a pain to keep it all working, but if you're into 3D it's worth it.

It doesn't support ray tracing and you generally have to turn off shadows and things like that, but if you're into 3D the trade off is easily worth it.

So, I've now decided against buying a 3080, and I'm now aiming to upgrade my motherboard, CPU & RAM...

...the problem is: I have no money, so I'm not going to be able to build a new system until the 3000 series refresh. 

This leaves me with the problem that I do still need a graphics card, because I'm still stuck gaming on a GTX 970 (I know, right?)

I had an RTX 2070 that I had to sell, but, as an example, in Witcher 3 it wasn't quite getting me the 120fps I was looking for for 60fps with Nvidia 3D Vision, so I at least want something more powerful than an RTX 2070. I don't really want to buy a second-hand 2080ti when I can buy a new 3070, so...maybe I should buy a 3070...?

...because I need a new graphics card regardless, and the 3070 now seems to be the best option. The question for me at this point is, what would the extra 180 for a 3080 get me; will it get me over the 120fps boundary I need for 3D vision in a few more of the games on my play list than the 3070 would, so that I can play a few more games at 60fps in 3D while waiting to upgrade?  In that case, considering I can sell the 3080 further on, it might still be worth paying the extra for it...the longer I can wait to upgrade, the more money I'll have for the upgrade and the more that money will buy. It's a very specific question however and we've not yet even seen the benchmarks.

Ill be getting a new GPU, which one i dont know yet, 3080 or above performance at the very least since im aiming for 4k 120hz. So a 3080, Big Navi or possibly wait for a 3080ti ..dunno yet. 3090 is out of the question its to overpriced for a gaming GPU, if its the Titan then we should expect a 3080ti as the 3080 isnt on par performance wise like previous gen Titans VS X80ti cards.

Thing is im running a 3930k (4.6ghz) and im ok going with such an upgrade so imo OP, ull be fine with a 3070 at 1440p 165hz.

Sandybridge and newer CPU's once OC'ed can fair pritty well.

For example, since people are using passmark, I just done a quick un-optimised test for the single thread performance, Im getting over 2200 score, thats on par with the 6800k which like a 3930k is a 6c 12t CPU. And a full passmark score of around 11,000 which actually above the 6800k.

Im running a 1080ti right now, and even this kind of setup is often commented on by people saying im bottlenecking it with my 'lowly' 3930k. And yes i am ,,if i was aiming for 240hz +, but i dont, i use 4k DSR, and/or max out setting at 1080p, which brings even the mighty 1080ti to its knees.

Unless u end up playing a game that requires more than 8 threads i think ull be fine with a OC'ed 4970k. Will u be loosing 'some' performance, sure ..but not enough to worry about, ur likely going to be in GPU bound scenario's more often than CPU.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 9/3/2020 at 4:48 PM, SolarNova said:

Ill be getting a new GPU, which one i dont know yet, 3080 or above performance at the very least since im aiming for 4k 120hz... So a 3080, Big Navi or possibly wait for a 3080ti ..dunno yet. 3090 is out of the question its to overpriced for a gaming GPU, if its the Titan then we should expect a 3080ti as the 3080 isnt on par performance wise like previous gen Titans VS X80ti cards.

Thing is im running a 3930k (4.6ghz) and im ok going with such an upgrade so imo OP, ull be fine with a 3070 at 1440p 165hz.

Sandybridge and newer CPU's once OC'ed can fair pritty well.

For example, since people are using passmark, I just done a quick un-optimised test for the single thread performance, Im getting over 2200 score, thats on par with the 6800k which like a 3930k is a 6c 12t CPU. And a full passmark score of around 11,000 which actually above the 6800k.

Im running a 1080ti right now, and even this kind of setup is often commented on by people saying im bottlenecking it with my 'lowly' 3930k. And yes i am ,,if i was aiming for 240hz +, but i dont, i use 4k DSR, and/or max out setting at 1080p, which brings even the mighty 1080ti to its knees.

Unless u end up playing a game that requires more than 8 threads i think ull be fine with a OC'ed 4970k. Will u be loosing 'some' performance, sure ..but not enough to worry about, ur likely going to be in GPU bound scenario's more often than CPU.

Yeah, currently I only really need 120Hz at 1440p.

I've been looking at some reviews of the 4790k and it looks like the 4790k overclocked (mine's O.C.'d to 4.7GHz) can still hold its own against CPU's such as the Ryzen 3 3300X for example, as long as you have fast RAM (I have 2666Mhz RAM)...

...compare that to this July 2020 techspot.com article which suggests that at 1440p the 3300X is for the most part pretty much on par or only just behind most of the modern processors is many games.

I don't have the cash for a full system upgrade anyway, so I'm going to be sticking with the 4790k build for at least another year maybe two years while I save for a complete rebuild and just limit my play to the older titles in my to-be-played list that I've not gotten a chance to play yet. Try and play them on ultra, see how far I get and upgrade when I eventually need to.

Also, I spent a lot of time and money on the CPU overclock (Rockit Cool custom copper heat spreader, Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal delid, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Grizzy Kryonaut between the heatspreader and the AIO cooling plate) and on the fast DDR3 RAM, so it's really got to last me as long as possible so that I can get the most value out of it. Also, the components are old but still pretty high end so I'm reluctant to part with it. It's going to be my everyday use P.C. once I finally build a new gaming rig.

Edit: Just found this too...time-specific link (it varies from game to game)...

"...this one averaged a much more competitive 198fps with a big 12% increase to 222 average with an overclock. This allows an O.C. to encroach on 3600 territory, so it'd be more of a side-grade to move to modern AMD if running on an overclocked 4790k already." [if you're playing F1]

But yeah, the 3080 is still tempting me.