Built this PC a couple years ago, wondering what I should upgrade next

LuckyDrive

Budget (including currency): $300

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: eSports gaming mostly (and probably Cyberpunk 2077)

Other details 

Current build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/o ODD) MicroATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 

So that's my current build. I'm thinking maybe j should upgrade the motherboard and cpu to something more modern like Ryzen 3000 series. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, LuckyDrive said:

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

a lot to go on...

8 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

a lot to go on...

Sorry about that, was posting on my phone and accidentally hit the post button.... Should be fixed now!

3 minutes ago, LuckyDrive said:

Sorry about that, was posting on my phone and accidentally hit the post button.... Should be fixed now!

upgrade CPU and GPU, but a CPU upgrade will most probably need a board upgrade, so just wait for Ampere and Big Navi and Ryzen 4th gen to see what they have to offer

I would hold off on upgrades at this point. After the ryzen 4000 series comes out the 3000 series will go down in price. I would aim for a r5 3600. I wouldn’t go beyond that with a b350 motherboard unless it has decent VRMs. 

For the GPU I would look at a 5700 or 5700xt after big Navi comes out later this year if that leads to a price drop. 

24 minutes ago, LuckyDrive said:

eSports gaming mostly

would look at a CPU upgrade if i had to pick something

though overall this rig looks well balanced.

upgrading any part would depend on which part is limiting you in games

or if you need extra storage. etc

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 hours ago, Som3a said:

upgrade CPU and GPU, but a CPU upgrade will most probably need a board upgrade, so just wait for Ampere and Big Navi and Ryzen 4th gen to see what they have to offer

That makes sense, I actually didnt realize they were being released so soon. Might as well wait.

4 hours ago, Sorenson said:

I would hold off on upgrades at this point. After the ryzen 4000 series comes out the 3000 series will go down in price. I would aim for a r5 3600. I wouldn’t go beyond that with a b350 motherboard unless it has decent VRMs. 

For the GPU I would look at a 5700 or 5700xt after big Navi comes out later this year if that leads to a price drop. 

How can I find out if my current board has decent VRMs? I'll probably just upgrade my motherboard anyway.

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

would look at a CPU upgrade if i had to pick something

though overall this rig looks well balanced.

upgrading any part would depend on which part is limiting you in games

or if you need extra storage. etc

Thanks, yea I've actually slowly been upgrading it over the years. Started with just the 2400g, 8 gb of ram and the 1 tb hard drive. First I increased the ram, then I bought the GTX 1660, an SSD, and then most recently I added the nvme. So now I'm trying to figure out which way to go. I think I'll probably upgrade the CPU and get a new mother board while Im at it. And then maybe by 2021 I can grab a brand new GPU.

Thanks for the help everyone.

@LuckyDrive Here's a good thread to know what CPU your motherboard can handle.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1137619-motherboard-vrm-tier-list-v2-currently-amd-only/

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 hours ago, LuckyDrive said:How can I find out if my current board has decent VRMs? 

You just look up the motherboard model reviews. If you’re going to use the same mobo with 3000 series make sure you update the bios. If you do upgrade to the 400 series or newer you’ll get access to the upgraded PB though. 

8 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

You just look up the motherboard model reviews. If you’re going to use the same mobo with 3000 series make sure you update the bios. If you do upgrade to the 400 series or newer you’ll get access to the upgraded PB though. 

Ahh gotcha, thank you! And yes I actually just upgraded the bios to its most recent firmware a couple days ago. What's PB?

1 hour ago, Fatih19 said:

@LuckyDrive Here's a good thread to know what CPU your motherboard can handle.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1137619-motherboard-vrm-tier-list-v2-currently-amd-only/

Thanks for this! I'll take a look and see where mine falls, or a possible mobo to upgrade to.

4 hours ago, LuckyDrive said:

Thanks for this! I'll take a look and see where mine falls, or a possible mobo to upgrade to.

OOf, i looked into it and it seemed like your motherboard is a Tier F board. Not surprising thouugh since your board (from what I've looked up) only has 2 DIMM slots, typical mATX board has 4. The rule of thumb is that 2 DIMM slots in that form factor usually indicates cost-saving.  You can still upgrade to a 3100 or a 3300X, which is still a significant performance boost compared to the now 2 year old 2400G using Zen 1. I'd get the 3300X, the 20 dollars is worth the performance uplift compared to the 3100.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

5 hours ago, LuckyDrive said:

Ahh gotcha, thank you! And yes I actually just upgraded the bios to its most recent firmware a couple days ago. What's PB?

PB is precision boost. It’s the thing that allows ryzen CPUs to automatically overclock the CPUs. It was upgraded to work better with the 400 series and up mobos. It’s basically just a small performance uptick.