Why do people care how their system looks like internally?

PatriotDBoss

Seriously?  This is like asking why do people care what the inside of their house looks like.  I care what the inside of my house looks like basically so it is easy to keep clean... same goes for my pc.

My rig =SCOUT2= 

First good looking gold and black pc i have seen. Probably because this is X79 and not mainstream 1150.

no thats not.

no thats not.

Oh you are correct. I didn't look like poop so i assumed that it was the best looking gold and black Asus one.  

Some people like to show off there machines at LAN parties and good cable management means better air flow.

Steve Jobs' design philosophy was that a computer should be a work of art externally and internally.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

As the title says, why does it matter? Seriously what are you doing with your pc? You probably dont stare at it.....

i like to look into my case and see wow i built that and it looks better than something i could buy and yes i do stare at it. i guess its the same with everything else why do people care how a game looks if it runs everything at the lowest settings just fine

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

Because it makes it a lot easier for me when Im going to replace or install new components.

Except when I need to replace the psu...

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.

Its the same thing as saying that the looks of your car / house dont matter. I dont see your point.

Because people come into my room and go all wowzy because they had never seen a computer look so beastly. 

I pretty much keep all my electronics in mint condition and I'm pretty OCD about how they look. Taking off your side panel is like lifting the hood of your car. It's something only us geeks could ever understand.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Its the same thing as saying that the looks of your car / house dont matter. I dont see your point.

to some people like me they really dont matter all that much as long as they arnt run down and what not.

Because people come into my room and go all wowzy because they had never seen a computer look so beastly.

I pretty much keep all my electronics in mint condition and I'm pretty OCD about how they look. Taking off your side panel is like lifting the hood of your car. It's something only us geeks could ever understand.

once my pc is built the side pannel only comes off for cleaning, upgrades, and fixing.

Because this is why.

murderbox-mkii-gold-03.jpg

Thats unnatural.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

Combination of having a side panel, lots of LEDs, my water cooler has a light up intel logo(cant disappoint intel), and OCD.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

I could understand airflow, but other than that? nah, and why do people spend more on a graphics card that looks good but performs the same?

Well, whatever floats your boat

because they can afford to? for some people an extra 100 or whatever to improve the looks isnt exactly much money if they are not building to a budget

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Do you want you're pc to look like this:

post-8537-0-64979900-1394464271_thumb.jp

or this:

murderbox-mkii-gold-03.jpg

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

because they can afford to? for some people an extra 100 or whatever to improve the looks isnt exactly much money if they are not building to a budget

Everyone builds to a budget, though that budget may e higher than others.

I chose a nice looking case for my build (Node 304), but on the inside I chose parts entirely based on cost to performance and nothing else. I could care less what it looks like as long as it performs. I did the best I could for cable management, but mainly because it's a mini-ITX case and I wanted it to be as easy as possible to assemble/disassemble and perform future upgrades. 

For me it's mainly function > fashion. The Node 304 is an awesome little case that makes very good efficient use of the space it occupies and has excellent air flow. The fact that it looks good is a bonus and only a small part of the reason I bought it.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Aesthetics, why people buy lots of things even houses and cars.

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

mainly airflow, but whenever I modify my rig (like today I put in a fan controller to make it not as noisy as hell when it's idle) and I spend hours on it tucking each and every cable in perfectly.

I literally spent 5 hours installing that fan controller, scared to death that I would get OCD in it, and I did. I did a lot. It took so long! simply because if it is not absolutely perfect, it bothers me, and I had to pull myself away from my computer just to stop and go [GOOD ENOUGH]

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I have OCD, people like nice things, it improves airflow, makes it easier to swap parts, and it makes me feel proud to have a good looking computer. 

The cables aren't perfect and I might still tighten a couple of them, but here's mine: http://i.imgur.com/yyRmJM1.jpg 

I have OCD, people like nice things, it improves airflow, makes it easier to swap parts, and it makes me feel proud to have a good looking computer. 

The cables aren't perfect and I might still tighten a couple of them, but here's mine: http://i.imgur.com/yyRmJM1.jpg 

Good looking in my opinion is far different than god cable management. I wouldnt put a PC together with bad cable management if I can avoid it. As for looking good that costs more so I usually dont bother unless it kinda just happens.

because sharing is caring... i obviously dont care  ^_^

hellooooooooo

It's about the time and money we put into these systems. Why would you spend $2,000 on a full build, and not do proper cable management? But I guess that just goes for me and everyone else that takes building computers seriously.

Put it like this, having clean and proper cable management is like having a clean room or house. People that don't do proper cable management are the same people that are lazy, and they probably get their parents to clean their house while they sit back.

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

I love it when systems look neat and tidy, it's almost like artwork.

But it's too bad that I'm too lazy to ever finish a build.

So it almost always looks ghetto,

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

• 3 years later...

the same reason people care about how their car looks, its a thing of pride for them