So you guys been noticed Youtube ads on desktop while you have an AdBlocker?

arcus05

So lately I'm seeing this ad saying "Choose when you see ads" with an option of "Watch during video" or "Watch 4 ads now" what to they mean by that and is Youtube is cracking down users with an Adblocker?

I'm a Firefox user and my adblocker of chose if AdBlocker Plus so is there any AdBlocker effected by this? (Also yes I'm watching a LTT video)

Screenshot_2020-08-22 (1) Our Smallest Gaming PC Build EVER - Velkase Velka 3 - YouTube.png

I use Ublock and haven't seen an ad on Youtube in years.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I use adblock in conjunction with Adblock plus and sometimes I get ads like these

image.png.c3593dac4c1b3cf2bef5db94b3e250c1.png

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

I personally use "Enhancer for YouTube" in Firefox. Never once seen an ad or popup for a channel that wasn't whitelisted.

Probably the adblocker is either being payed to allow certain adds through or they don't work well. Ublock Origin is community run and hasn't given me any issues in the years I've used it.

Had these problems with Adblock switced to ABP fixed it

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

@James Evens can you tell a small summary? I can't read the whole entire thing because I have the worst Attention span at reading

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Holy shit, Google, how greedy can you get

Youtubers need to start using other platforms and sell merch, even a single sticker can report more money than Google Ads

I don't think google is very greedy, I clicked the "Watch 4 ads now" button and all I get is a 2 15 to 20 secs ad

7 minutes ago, James Evens said:

In a nutshell they take or at least have taken the money from the website to get them "certified" so ads can appear on there website but there is more to it.

like that exactly?

When you get ads with an adblocker it usually means your blocklists aren't up-to-date or they haven't been updated yet

🙂

56 minutes ago, krobushead said:

so is there any problems with AdBlocker?

I reinstalled Chrome and Adblocker, and the ads stopped

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

There was something strange a few days ago for me on Youtube, where it looked like an ad was going to play in the front of a video, there was even the skip button at the bottom (video wasn't playing, it was a blank screen). But no ads were playing. I had to press the skip button to see the video.

I thought for sure Google had figured out a way to display ads that couldn't be blocked anymore...

Then I forcefully updated my adblocking lists and I haven't seen it again. 🤷‍♂️ 😂

I use the ublock origin extension.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, krobushead said:

I don't think google is very greedy, I clicked the "Watch 4 ads now" button and all I get is a 2 15 to 20 secs ad

Our multimedia box for the TV. its not uncommon to see youtube throw around 4 ad breaks into 15 minute videos with each one being between 1 and 2 ads with some being around 30 sec. So for a worst case scenario, that's up to 4 minutes of ads during a 15 minute video. I have also seen 30 min ads popup requiring you to watch 1 minute before you can skip.

This time last year, it was around 1 - 2 ads every couple of videos. I would say that's a pretty big jump over a year, with most of the increase in ads being since Covid. YouTube was doing just fine before and I am sure viewer consumption rate has increased. So I would say that is rather greedy. I however wouldn't doubt that the increase in ads is also an attempt to move more people to its premium monthly subscription.

Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger, Firefox, Ubuntu Linux, no ads at all and videos do not auto-play.

Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger, Chrome, Windows 10, no ads at all and videos do auto-play.