Installing ground wire on refrigerators necessary? type A plug

Newblesse Obblige

We recently bought a fridge and we are wondering we should put the "optional" ground wire or not. My father said we should put it but i read some (old)forums that is isnt necessary if the fridge only has a 2 prong plug(because the plug is a type A) 

do you thing we should install it? if yes, could you give me some tips on how to install it?

(i live in asia so the plug is different)

In the UK grounding is a requirement for most things and almost all of our plugs have a ground(Some simply use a plastic pin where the ground should be for things like phone chargers.

Anyway, for higher power devices like a refrigerator I'd think a ground is a great idea! (Especially since refrigerators produce water through condensation, meaning the likelihood of something shorting is higher than some other devices)

As for the best way to do it, I'd suggest you looked it up on Youtube or your local version(make sure you are looking for a professional who is qualified) as you want to make sure any modifications you do to electrical equipment are meeting the codes and regulations of your own countries standards. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

does your home wiring have ground? ground is a fail safe in case live wire touches the body of fridge breaker pops and no electrocution happens no it does not affect the function of fridge itself  but its nice to have

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

54 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

As for the best way to do it, I'd suggest you looked it up on Youtube or your local version(make sure you are looking for a professional who is qualified) as you want to make sure any modifications you do to electrical equipment are meeting the codes and regulations of your own countries standards. 

I already search on YouTube and I am still confused. 

Legal requirements and electrical installation schemes vary by country so of course youtube videos will be all over the place, and you don't say where you are.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I'm interested in how it looks, could you post photos of your plug and where the optional wire comes in? In my case most high power devices have ground and the wiring always has ground in the kitchen and the bathroom, the rest of the house too if it's less than 20 years old. I had no fridge fail on me, but if something goes wrong, you can have all of the metal doors shorted and that'd be very dangerous.

It's hard to believe a house wouldn't have ground at all, are you sure about that?

10 minutes ago, Caroline said:

00851fcb9026408b3ef459fa79fd2c80a58dae4a

This has to be the craziest thing I have ever seen lol.

8 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

We recently bought a fridge and we are wondering we should put the "optional" ground wire or not. My father said we should put it but i read some (old)forums that is isnt necessary if the fridge only has a 2 prong plug(because the plug is a type A) 

do you thing we should install it? if yes, could you give me some tips on how to install it?

(i live in asia so the plug is different)

If the outlet in the house has a ground, I would personally connect it. It's purpose is mostly to prevent the fridge from shocking you if the electricity leaks out from its defined path.

6 minutes ago, Caroline said:

only a couple of things require ground (fridge, washing machine, oven) so doing that is cheaper than rewiring your entire house, it'd make no sense to have ground in all of your outlets if the plugs still lack the pin.

I found out all of this while repairing and replacing stuff in my own house

Again that depends a lot on location. 

In my country every single plug installed in the past 50 years or so has an earth connection.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Again that depends a lot on location. 

In my country every single plug installed in the past 50 years or so has an earth connection.

They all should, imo. 

using a corded drill and drill into a wire? You’re fucked, if the cord has a ground pin, you’re all good. 

stick your finger in the outlet? Your not the direct ground, you’re good.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6