Albion College Forces Students to Install 24/7 Tracking App that Readily Leaks Personal Health Data

Skipple
8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Yup.  So if you don’t want to go don’t go.  Simple. Colleges often have even more onerous requirements than this one.  The college I went to required that any car driven by a student had to be parked in a special lot, and it’s license plates removed and handed in along with keys.  They literally took your car away for the year.  You can choose a school for example whose campus is closed and is doing online learning since that seems to be the other option.

There are schools still pretending Covid doesn’t exist of course. Not many. There are always those.  Go to an unaccredited bible “college”.  And maybe kill your parents .

Trade School.

I need to go back to one myself.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Trade School.

I need to go back to one myself.

Trade schools (they tend to prefer technical college.  Same thing) do all of this the same way.   They have different requirements more often.  For one they generally don’t have dorms (though some do) but just as much capacity. Some have big football teams and sports scholarships and everything.   The only difference is the type of accreditation.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

I can safely take out my 2006 phone outta my bag and ask them to install it

what? they're going to suspend me because I'm poor? nice discrimination right there, a lawsuit like that not only will make them pay me a sick amount but destroy their image because if something like that ever happens to me be sure I'll be posting it everywhere and take it to the news

no institution can force me to spend the money I don't have ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They can just hand you a phone though.  There is a strong argument that the system isn’t enforceable enough to work and kids will die anyway.   This is why a lot of schools are just going remote learning I think. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Trade schools (they tend to prefer technical college.  Same thing) do all of this the same way.   They have different requirements more often.  For one they generally don’t have dorms (though some do) but just as much capacity. Some have big football teams and sports scholarships and everything.   The only difference is the type of accreditation.  

Seems like a safer career path to me.

Welding, machining, carpentry can make you a lot if you're good at it.

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Seems like a safer career path to me.

Goes to definition of safe. Job security? No. Injury avoidance? no. Hire-ability? Usually very much Yes. Unless the technology changes.  Then No.  Pay level? yes. Flexibility? very much no. (See hireability)

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Goes to definition of safe. Job security? No. Injury avoidance? no. Hire-ability? Usually very much Yes. Unless the technology changes.  Then No.  Pay level? yes. Flexibility? very much no. (See hireability)

Flexibility in that there is always work that needs to be done, and at a certain level you can travel for work. I do.

It's worked for me longer than I thought it would.

47 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Flexibility in that there is always work that needs to be done, and at a certain level you can travel for work. I do.

It's worked for me longer than I thought it would.

An example of failed flexibility:  my best friends dad went to one of the best watchmaking schools in Europe and was a mutch sought after catch as a young man.  The stories my friends mom tells of the lengths she went to to catch his attention are hilarious.  She was also smokin hot as a young woman.  He was a well paid in demand technician until the silicon revolution.  So he pivoted: he turned his skills to mechanical calculators.  This was even more disastrous he probably would have been better off as a watchmaker.  He wound up working in a corner hardware store. 

Tech education is great.  As long as it doesn’t get outmoded. Got to keep moving.  This actually applies just as hard to non tech stuff, it’s just that history doesn’t change, math has been a thing for a long time, philosophy (lying) is older than math, etc..   liberal arts doesn’t teach information so much as it teaches how to acquire information.  This is why it used to be said that which undergrad degree you had meant little.   This has become less true over time. An undergrad degree is not really job training.  It’s prep for upper level job training which is what post grad degrees are all about.  You got a BA in English you can still become a lawyer.  You got a MA in English lit there are only a few things you can do with it.  This is the deal: Law School IS tech school.  Medical school IS tech school. They’re just schools you need a ba to even apply to. An undergrad degree is nothing.   The skills it does teach, (reading writing, working in a system, meeting a deadline) are useful enough in “corporate America” that a person could get a job for a while with just that.  Less so now though. 

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

I can safely take out my 2006 phone outta my bag and ask them to install it

what? they're going to suspend me because I'm poor? nice discrimination right there, a lawsuit like that not only will make them pay me a sick amount but destroy their image because if something like that ever happens to me be sure I'll be posting it everywhere and take it to the news

no institution can force me to spend the money I don't have ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, requiring certain models of phones to be obtained isn’t a drastic escalation from a teacher requiring students to buy an access code to an online portal to actually do homework. *Gives the finger to Pearson*

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Ah that word. “Karen” The generic hate term. people you don't like you mean.  Could be for any reason.  The convenience of “Karen” is because everyone dislikes different things it effectively means “whatever you don’t like about a given type of person?  That”

Its dangerous.  

You get to define “Karen” in this situation, but so does anyone else that uses it.   By being a “Karen” user you give yourself over to anyone choosing to direct your hate for their own purposes. 

So let’s defang it by trying to define whom you mean.

Having trouble in this case determine the definition of your ire “mothers who want to keep their children safe”? Unlikely.

“Rich people who spend wild amounts of money to send their not terribly bright children to schools who will mix them in with smarter children to make them seem more competent than they actually are”?  It’s a much more likely one and you allude to it somewhat obliquely.  It’s obnoxious. It’s sort of a variant on “mother’s who want to keep their children safe” I guess, except the mothers know their children aren’t very good at keeping themselves safe so they work over hard at doing it for them.  And of course spend a lot of money.