1 CPU but 4 users (2005/2006)

Moonzy

back in 2005/2006, my school have a system where 4 students would share 1 PC

4 screens, 4 keyboard and mouse, 4 simultanous users. USB ports are shared, floppy disk drive is shared

edit: windows XP is the OS

what kind of VM is it?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Probably a basic VMware setup if it was Windows based. If not, probably a UNIX derivative. 

Just now, Applefreak said:

Probably a basic VMware setup if it was Windows based

running win XP

The backend would have been Windows Server 2003 then. XP was good with 1 CPU so a VM would not have been difficult to set up.

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

The backend would have been Windows Server 2003 then. XP was good with 1 CPU so a VM would not have been difficult to set up.

hmm... so a pentium 4 system can run 4 users on win xp?

not sure what cpu it is tbh

not sure what the hardware is entirely, including GPUs

curious to know if it's possible to split up a single GPU horsepower for multiple users

By 2005, the old Pentium 4 was ancient history. You had Pentium D (dual core). Also that was the the era of Core 2 Quad based systems. Workstations used dual or quad socket motherboards giving you basically up to 16 cores, however with some latency when addressing cores across the controllers (northbrigde).

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

By 2005, the old Pentium 4 was ancient history. You had Pentium D (dual core). Also that was the the era of Core 2 Quad based systems. Workstations used dual or quad socket motherboards giving you basically up to 16 cores, however with some latency when addressing cores across the controllers (northbrigde).

hmm... wondering if my school had the budget for dual socket boards, over 4 individual PCs

didnt C2Q came out around 2007?

also VM i know cant share usb devices, unless there's certain VMs that can? how would mouse and kb input be split up then?

how bout splitting up GPU horsepower to multiple user? or it's multi GPU?

I think you could use different controller cards for that, so basically different PCI cards for each machine. But I haven't touched an a server like that in a decade or so. I know it was possible. Also the rendering in the vm was done by the CPU, not the GPU. Good enough for a session of SimCity if I remember correctly. I have a Core 2 Quad here (Q6600) that is labeled May 2004 and a Q6700 from April 2005. Those were from HP workstation systems. I know that pre-builts got those parts earlier and many schools did to (probably advertising how great they are). I remember that my P35 chipset board in 2008 was about 128 USD and the CPU was roughly 300 USD (Xeon X3360 = Q9550). The multi-socket CPUs were quite a bit cheaper but would not run in single socket boards. My guess is a system like that, if bought retail, would have been around 2000 USD at the time. Still pretty expensive but there are always rebates for educational stuff so maybe 20 or even 40 percent less.

6 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I think you could use different controller cards for that, so basically different PCI cards for each machine. But I haven't touched an a server like that in a decade or so. I know it was possible. Also the rendering in the vm was done by the CPU, not the GPU. Good enough for a session of SimCity if I remember correctly. I have a Core 2 Quad here (Q6600) that is labeled May 2004 and a Q6700 from April 2005. Those were from HP workstation systems. I know that pre-builts got those parts earlier and many schools did to (probably advertising how great they are). I remember that my P35 chipset board in 2008 was about 128 USD and the CPU was roughly 300 USD (Xeon X3360 = Q9550). The multi-socket CPUs were quite a bit cheaper but would not run in single socket boards. My guess is a system like that, if bought retail, would have been around 2000 USD at the time. Still pretty expensive but there are always rebates for educational stuff so maybe 20 or even 40 percent less.

hmm... was thinking if i could build a budget PC and split the hardware for multiple users to browse the internet

and even maybe light gaming if the GPU power could be split without needing individual GPU for each instance

guess it's still very complicated

as for the separate PCI cards, i remembered we used the front panel to plug in USB, the desktop was in a cupboard, and we could only access the front of it

i have could remember wrongly, though

Unless you need to use windows, maybe build a system based on a raspberry pi 3 or 4.

I have a Pi 3 running ubuntu as a print server and it is a pretty good experience. Also browsing the web, youtube etc. is running really well. Will save you a lot of money and power (also money eventually) and of course space.

As for gaming on windows, look for old boards with CPUs and stack them into a custom enclosure.

Basically you get an old case and cut the motherboard base where the standoffs thread into and use long threaded screws and nuts with plastic washers in between to sandwich those boards. Now you need a case, so get some plywood or whatever you prefer and build yourself a box. If using stock coolers, you should be able to keep the case reasonably sized. 

I'd recommend cutting some holes for 200 mm fans in the front and leave the back mostly open so air can easily travel across. 

If you are have more advanced tools you can make it out of aluminium but I would start with some plywood to get a good feeling for the layout and then use it as a template for a more solid build.

You will need a drill head for wood and metal, a hand saw or jigsaw (Dremel if you can do a straight line),

9 long threaded screws that will fit through the holes on the motherboard, 18 plastic washers and nuts (I prefer stainless steel but that is up to you).

If you can multiple cases on the cheap, maybe consider cutting out the motherboard trays with the expansion card holders to make a more stable and cleaner back for your box. That also enables you to later screw them together with the frame of your new case. 

image.png.db43f25dc29f3e9bef043ba9a651ae4c.png

this probably wasn''t using a vm setup, there are many ways to do multiple users all one one os.

You can use software like microsoft multippoint, or aster to run multiple sessions on one os with one gpu aswell. No need to setup any vms for this type of use case.

In the biz they call this Multiseat. Ibik Aster works on modern computers, but under the XP era you were probably seeing Thinsoft BeTwin.

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

I highly doubt it was a VM setup. Hypervisors were mostly non existant then, the first multi-core processors commercially (other than the old Power CPU's) only came out in 2005.

It would have been some sort of virtual desktop session, or perhaps you remember incorrectly, and it was 4 terminals connecting to a terminal server like Windows Server 2003...or perhaps they did a 'hack', which you could do on Windows XP to enable terminal services. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 8/19/2020 at 11:28 AM, Applefreak said:

The Core 2 architecture didn’t produce any chips until 2006. Anything before it was Netburst still. The last P4 was released in 2006, on the Cedar Mill core, just a few months before Core 2 launched. It was by far the most common processor in computers in 2005.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:42 AM, Applefreak said:

have a Core 2 Quad here (Q6600) that is labeled May 2004 and a Q6700 from April 2005. Those were from HP workstation systems. I know that pre-builts got those parts earlier and many schools.

Print says nothing on Intel. Even a 2006 Pentium 4 is labeled as Intel 2001. 

The Core 2 Quad was released to the public, that includes OEMs, in 2007.

Core 2 Duos in 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

On 8/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

this probably wasn''t using a vm setup, there are many ways to do multiple users all one one os.

You can use software like microsoft multippoint, or aster to run multiple sessions on one os with one gpu aswell. No need to setup any vms for this type of use case.

the most likely, indeed. We still manage a handful of Multipoint Services machine on Windows Server 2012. Does the job fine.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro