Covid Sheer Boredom Build

Thachaw

Budget (including currency): $3000 USD Excluding shipping

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Multiboxing Everquest / Work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Case: Asus TUF Gaming GT501

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x

MB: Asus TUF x570 

CPU Cooling: Aorus RGB AIO 360

Ram: G.Skill RipJaws V series 128gb

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Overclocked 8g EVO Dual Fan

Drives: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1tb M.2, TeamGear Delta Max 250g x3, WD 4TB 

PSU: Asus Thor 1800w

Accessories because why not:(not included in the build price) Lian-Li RGB 24 pin and 8 pin extender, Asus Aura Sync 5v 3pin RGB 10 Hub Splitter, ( not yet installed stupid shipping )

For the last 15 years I worked overseas so I was never able to build a performance PC.  Now I work in California and with lock down for Covid I wanted to upgrade from Laptop gaming to something a tad better. 

I will update this once the Lian-Li and Hub arrive.  It performs very well with the temp even running up to 18 instances of my game of choice which is very thread and core heavy at a cool 41c on the CPU.  CPU utilization is at 26% with RAM at 28% GPU at 46%.  I can play with frame rates on unfocused instances that will help with the GPU.  

The Cinebench attached is running stock no overclocking but the memory working at 3600.

Thanks for looking!

8FA81EB8-476D-41C4-87D3-9AB03AE44CF6.jpeg

0DBA8374-1017-42AA-8F8C-7EDBA5ED67F9.jpeg

SSD's I got because they were cheap $25 bucks each.  The power supply was because it was on sale for $215 and I will be upgrading in the not so distant future and giving my daughter the parts from this that I don't use for her own system but that PSU should be good for when I upgrade next year.

5 minutes ago, Thachaw said:

that PSU should be good for when I upgrade next year.

No sensible system needs more than a 650w PSU. You wasted about $90.

6 minutes ago, Thachaw said:

SSD's I got because they were cheap $25 bucks each.  The power supply was because it was on sale for $215 and I will be upgrading in the not so distant future and giving my daughter the parts from this that I don't use for her own system but that PSU should be good for when I upgrade next year.

That PSU is enough to drive three separate systems, even if GPU power usage goes up dramatically in the future. Way overkill. Honestly, didn't know they made that kind of wattage for even the prosumer market.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

7 minutes ago, Thachaw said:

I saw those Teams Gears on sale awhile back at that price and was curious about the performance and longevity 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

9 minutes ago, Thachaw said:

You don know that this current system doesn't even consume 350w right? Even if you slap 2 2080ti's in there (don't sli is dead) it would barely reach 550w. So this psu is going to last you forever basically :p.

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

That PSU is enough to drive three separate systems, even if GPU power usage goes up dramatically in the future. Way overkill. Honestly, didn't know they made that kind of wattage for even the prosumer market.

Time to bring out the 4x gtx 295's again :p.

Yes that was understood when I purchased it.

9 minutes ago, gloop said:

No sensible system needs more than a 650w PSU. You wasted about $90.

The key word you put in there was sensible.  Not really a waste if it works for me and I get at least 20 more FPS from the LED Screen and RGB on it alone.  

-= Topic moved to Build Logs =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What's the deal with people complaining about too much power supply? Unless something is very wrong, it doesn't pull (much) more power from the wall than it has to put out right? It could be a 50kw PSU but if the hardware only requires 300w it'll only pull a little over 300w. Having the ability to pull out more doesn't hurt anything. It doesn't really require much more to be built. Not like they use 50 times the precious metal to build it. I literally don't understand why it needs to be even discussed.

23 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

I saw those Teams Gears on sale awhile back at that price and was curious about the performance and longevity 

I am using them for document storage for work.  I have not had any real issue with them.  I have only had them for about two weeks so will have to wait and see on the longevity.

9 minutes ago, Thachaw said:

The key word you put in there was sensible.  Not really a waste if it works for me and I get at least 20 more FPS from the LED Screen and RGB on it alone.  

I hate it when people think they finally know the "rules" of computer building.

The whole point of doing it is being able to choose whatever you want. If someone asks for help with a budget build and they plan to buy an overkill PSU instead of spending more on the GPU, we try to talk them out of it so that they have a better experience.

But at some point we need to stop lecturing everybody and shoving an "optimal" system down their throat.

I know why I bought a PSU more than 3x as powerful as I need. Noone else might agree with those reasons, but they also aren't me and they don't sit next to my tower. Nevermind the custom loop I'm about to put into it, despite it seeming unnecessary to everyone else.

Sorry for the tangent, let me just add - lovely rig dude.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

2 minutes ago, EricX2 said:

What's the deal with people complaining about too much power supply? Unless something is very wrong, it doesn't pull (much) more power from the wall than it has to put out right? It could be a 50kw PSU but if the hardware only requires 300w it'll only pull a little over 300w. Having the ability to pull out more doesn't hurt anything. It doesn't really require much more to be built. Not like they use 50 times the precious metal to build it. I literally don't understand why it needs to be even discussed.

True.  When I was looking at the build I knew that I would be upgrading to gen 4 as soon as the prices start to come down.  The way I see it even if I upgrade to a Threadripper with every new graphics card I should never have a problem with power.

2 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

I hate it when people think they finally know the "rules" of computer building.

The whole point of doing it is being able to choose whatever you want. If someone asks for help with a budget build and they plan to buy an overkill PSU instead of spending more on the GPU, we try to talk them out of it so that they have a better experience.

But at some point we need to stop lecturing everybody and shoving an "optimal" system down their throat.

I know why I bought a PSU more than 3x as powerful as I need. Noone else might agree with those reasons, but they also aren't me and they don't sit next to my tower. Nevermind the custom loop I'm about to put into it, despite it seeming unnecessary to everyone else.

Sorry for the tangent, let me just add - lovely rig dude.

I had a budget.  I came in about $80 under budget even with the because more unicorn puke is always welcome parts that have not arrived.  Thank you, I will post final build once those parts arrive.  I generally do not run rainbow that photo was taken as I was installing the OS and just thought Those SSD's look cool.

4 minutes ago, EricX2 said:

I literally don't understand why it needs to be even discussed.

I get it in the "New builds" section.

A $600 rig will never need a 1000W PSU. By the time it would be upgraded enough to use it, a new PSU would barely raise the price of the upgrade.

But in "Build logs", there's literally no point. These rigs are in progress or complete, what's on the list and in the pictures is in the system. Swapping it out for something else is an absolute waste.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

2 minutes ago, Thachaw said:

True.  When I was looking at the build I knew that I would be upgrading to gen 4 as soon as the prices start to come down.  The way I see it even if I upgrade to a Threadripper with every new graphics card I should never have a problem with power.

i mean the looks of the psu can out way the price or the extra power. how on earth did you get 3 ssd for $25 each are the used? arnt these like $150+ each?

i like the sexy look lintel i get to the hhd...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i mean the looks of the psu can out way the price or the extra power. how on earth did you get 3 ssd for $25 each are the used? arnt these like $150+ each?

i like the sexy look lintel i get to the hhd...

I found them on a random website new.  Amazon has them for $60 new, the $150 are for 1tb version.  About that HDD there is a shroud that wasn't installed at the time of that pic.

5 minutes ago, Thachaw said:

I found them on a random website new.  Amazon has them for $60 new, the $150 are for 1tb version.  About that HDD there is a shroud that wasn't installed at the time of that pic.

oh i guess your right that sounds a bit cheap. i no they have a history of there rgb ssd catching fire they clame there "new ones" don't...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

oh i guess your right that sounds a bit cheap. i no they have a history of there rgb ssd catching fire they clame there "new ones" don't...

Ah, I didn't see that in any of the reviews, I must research this cause F RGB if it will burn down my system.  Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah was surprised to see so many putting down the choice of PSU - the guy was bored and fed up of covid (who isn't) but to make himself a happy bunny he had a cool $3K burning a hole in his pocket, I see no reason for him not to throw the kitchen sink at it. If you are under budget you didn't add enough RGB ;)

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

I just built a rig for a guy I work with, 68 year old gamer, he bought a new 10900k, spent $600 bucks on board, bought 4000 mhz ram, bought a 1200 watt psu. I explained why his choices were unnecessary but he said he liked the hardware and wanted to overbuild. That was the end of that conversation, I used what he wanted, he knew the facts and still chose it so who am I to judge him on it, its his money and he is happy as hell with the turn out, everyone wins. 

To the OP the rig looks great although I would suggest maybe getting custom cables just to be able to clean up some of your cabling, but over all well done

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

I just built a rig for a guy I work with, 68 year old gamer, he bought a new 10900k, spent $600 bucks on board, bought 4000 mhz ram, bought a 1200 watt psu. I explained why his choices were unnecessary but he said he liked the hardware and wanted to overbuild. That was the end of that conversation, I used what he wanted, he knew the facts and still chose it so who am I to judge him on it, its his money and he is happy as hell with the turn out, everyone wins. 

To the OP the rig looks great although I would suggest maybe getting custom cables just to be able to clean up some of your cabling, but over all well done

funny my dad has a x77 sabertooth (the one that uses a 3570) and i wanted his mb so he decided to upgrade (we was looking at that full watercooled mb that's like $2000 so i asked him why that one he said well if things seem to hold its value more then why not if it might still be worth $1500 down the road or so. anyway his mb he spent like $200 new is worth like $150. i guess you got to about for inflation thow. it might be the last upgrade for him as he is 60 and well thx god for the easay mode bullet sponge game play....his reaction is really bad now.

any way i talked him out of it because there were shady sellers on ebay with like 4 sold items....

oooooh ❤️

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro