Just buy a Mac Pro

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I’d say just get a game console. The OP doesn’t want to screw around with the machine if something happens. 

Already have a gaming console. And I have lots of games on Steam. In that sense I need a gaming PC that doesn't give me a headache. 

You guys mentioned the Mac Mini. But what about the new iMac? That system is newer and in the same price range compared to a spec'd up Mac Mini. 

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Bit silly getting a console now though

Yes and No. Because we dont know how availability is going to be when they are released. Nintendo shouldn't be releasing anything new this year. A Switch is never a bad option. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Blizzforte said:

Already have a gaming console. And I have lots of games on Steam. In that sense I need a gaming PC that doesn't give me a headache. 

You guys mentioned the Mac Mini. But what about the new iMac? That system is newer and in the same price range compared to a spec'd up Mac Mini. 

Well for me the Mac mini would have worked out well because I have multiple monitors. The iMac the screen is built in, I mean it depends on you. If you feel that works better for you than that's the one. 

As far as gaming PC that doesn't give you a headache. That doesn't exist. Firstly a bad Windows 10 update will ruin anyones day. Add in driver issues, Virus's and bad game updates. Thats the thing about gaming PC's. You get the best experience but you also need to have patience when things dont work. 

8 minutes ago, Blizzforte said:

If you really want a desktop Mac, it’s the best value by a mile. It’s actually pretty price competitive when you consider the screen.

You’d definitely want to go for the 8 core model so you can upgrade to the 5700 GPU. Go with base model selections for the rest, you can easily add cheap RAM on your own. Storage can be upgraded on your own as well with thunderbolt. The 8 core i7 + AMD 5700 would come to $2369 if you go through the education store (just say you’re a student, everybody does it and you save a few hundred).

You’d have an okay gaming experience at 1080 or 1440p with that setup and could simply just hook up an eGPU box down the road when you want to upgrade.

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID, I’m not saying that buying a Mac for gaming is the best choice, but that model wouldn’t be a a disaster either. It would be quite capable in bootcamp.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

You’d have an okay gaming experience at 1080 or 1440p with that setup and could simply just hook up an eGPU box down the road when you want to upgrade.

From what I have read, the OP would have reduce performance in Windows because bootcamp drivers suck. I personally haven't tried Windows on my MacBook Pro, but I didn't buy a Mac to run Windows. Which is why I suggested a game console. Because that would likely scratch the itch. 

Plus the OP does have a decent gaming machine. Just needs to figure out what is wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

From what I have read, the OP would have reduce performance in Windows because bootcamp drivers suck. I personally haven't tried Windows on my MacBook Pro, but I didn't buy a Mac to run Windows. Which is why I suggested a game console. Because that would likely scratch the itch. 

Plus the OP does have a decent gaming machine. Just needs to figure out what is wrong. 

I think the issues you’re talking about are the power management ones on the MacBooks right? They throttle a bit because Apple didn’t add profiles for Windows. I don’t know how much that translates into iMacs to be honest.

The crappy display driver performance on the other hand is exclusive to the 16 inch MacBook. The release driver was never updated. Looking at AMD’s site, every other model though has been getting updates.

But yeah, I agree it’s not an optimal gaming machine. I just don’t think it would be a disaster either. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yes and No. Because we dont know how availability is going to be when they are released. Nintendo shouldn't be releasing anything new this year. A Switch is never a bad option. 

Depends on the games you want, if you’re after FPS look elsewhere. BOTW and Odyssey are worth it, Mariokart 8 is great as is smash 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?