She's toasty now.

Cb2394
Go to solution Solved by SansVarnic,
2 minutes ago, Cb2394 said:

External, from the wall to the PSU. Sorry, I thought I specified that

Replace the cable. Switch the pc back on. 

Most likely the cable shielding failed or something of the like. 

Suggestion, watch the new cable, IF the PSU is over-pulling (over-drawing) then yeah the PSU could be at fault and may need to be replaced.

So, how you all doing? Good? I hope so.

My PSU cable just melted down and caught fire. 

Seasonic m12ii or something like that iirc.

My question. Likely hood of the rest of my PC being deader than a doorknob? Likely hood of my PSU being dead? Unless you guys respond with a "nah PSU will be fine, throw a new cable on her." I'm just gonna but a new PSU. But it was a catastrophic short in the cable, happened so quick I couldn't hit the kill on my surge protector fast enough. So do PSUs have protection in place to prevent total system killing in those cases? Is there a sliver of hope? Or am I building a new PC most likely?

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Find me on Rainbow 6 seige - Beeried94

6 minutes ago, Cb2394 said:

My PSU cable just melted down and caught fire. 

Seasonic m12ii

-stares at mine that's laying on the floor- 😐

did the fire burn anything? was there a bad kink in the cable?

it's hard to say if anything is affected because we dont know which part is shorted

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

-stares at mine that's laying on the floor- 😐

did the fire burn anything? was there a bad kink in the cable?

it's hard to say if anything is affected because we dont know which part is shorted

Nah, it's just the cable the caught fire. Smelled some slight ozone right before, if it would of clicked I'd of hit the kill early. I have everything cable managed onto the desk, so the desk is slightly singed but nothing else got burned up. Cable insulation is straight melted through.

Was scary af tho, ngl. Computer went dark, got really quiet for half a second, then the cable sparked and caught fire.

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

1 minute ago, Cb2394 said:

Nah, it's just the cable the caught fire. Smelled some slight ozone right before, if it would of clicked I'd of hit the kill early. I have everything cable managed onto the desk, so the desk is slightly singed but nothing else got burned up. Cable insulation is straight melted through.

Was scary af tho, ngl. Computer went dark, got really quiet for half a second, then the cable sparked and caught fire.

Which cable? the mobo or a component?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

the cable

the external cable that's connecting the PC to the wall?

not internal cable?

specifically what cable?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, Cb2394 said:

oh, then your computer is most likely fine

unless that's what caused the fire in the first place

Suggestion, watch the new cable, IF the PSU is over-pulling (over-drawing) then yeah the PSU could be at fault and may need to be replaced.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, Cb2394 said:

This will hit the PSU first, your part will probably ok.

The cable might not be good to handle the current, you should replace it with a better one.

Most PSU have a build in fuse, so if anything happens outside the fuse will take the damage.

Replacing the fuse would bring the psu back.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Ok, thank you guys. I think I have a spare PSU cable that paired to a 700w+, so I can try that. As for the fuse, any advice? Should I bother with that or just buy a new PSU? 

11 minutes ago, Cb2394 said:

As for the fuse, any advice? Should I bother with that or just buy a new PSU? 

I ask this cause I've never replaced a psu fuse before and if there's soldering my skills are very rusty

4 minutes ago, Cb2394 said:

Ok, thank you guys. I think I have a spare PSU cable that paired to a 700w+, so I can try that. As for the fuse, any advice? Should I bother with that or just buy a new PSU? 

Try changing the power cable first.

Fuse is easy to replace, probably cost $10 for the technicians.

Don't replace it yourself, when in doubts get a new one.

Oh my Lord, thank you guys, saved me from dropping good money on a new PSU, new cable brought her back to life. Def keeping an eye and nose open for any potential issues

Do you have any rabbits around? They love to chew cables

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

don't worry there's no soldering involved if the PSU is somewhat new

some are soldered btw.

6 minutes ago, Cb2394 said:

Oh my Lord, thank you guys, saved me from dropping good money on a new PSU, new cable brought her back to life. Def keeping an eye and nose open for any potential issues

make sure it's properly plugged, use a good terminals.

On full load, touch the cable, make sure that it's not warm or hot.

If still hot then probably there's something off with the psu.

1 hour ago, Cb2394 said:

caught fire. 

This is one of those Holy Shit moments. Read your comment and this song came to mind. Might I suggest keeping a fire extinguisher near your computer from now on.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

This is one of those Holy Shit moments. Read your comment and this song came to mind. Might I suggest keeping a fire extinguisher near your computer from now on.

It's on the "immediate buy" list now. Essential PC hardware, RGB Class ABC Fire Extinguisher.

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Kill-A-Watt may be in order to see if things are too out of line.  @SansVarnic

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Kill-A-Watt may be in order to see if things are too out of line.  @SansVarnic

Good suggestion.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER