What wattage and PSU

Marnex

I'm currently looking to upgrade my PC. But my PSU is rather old and low wattage (450W).

Future specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x

RTX 2080 Super

2 SSD, 2 HDD

16 or 32GB RAM

What's the recommended wattage for this system? And possibly even a recommended quality PSU (I don't mind spending a bit more for a quality one) and preferably a modular one.

The 3700x will consume up to 100-120 watts if you don't overclock it.

The 2080 super is going to consume up to around 250 watts.

This is all from 12v output of your psu.

HDDs consume around 8w each (half from 5v, half from 12v), SSDs consume around 2-5w each (1-2w reading, up to 3-5w while writing), all from 5v

RAM is around 2-3 watts per stick.

So you need a power supply that can provide AT LEAST 400 watts on the 12v output, which your psu probably can't handle.

You will want at least a 550w - preferably 600-650w - power supply from a reputable manufacturer.

I'd go for an RM550x or Straight Power 11 550W.

Have you already purchased these parts though? New CPUs and GPUs are releasing soon - in fact Nvidia is revealing their new Ampere GPUs in two weeks.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I highly suggest you wait a couple months for hardware releases, they’re coming soon, and you will end up getting a lot better hardware for the same price.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

8 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I'd go for an RM550x or Straight Power 11 550W.

Have you already purchased these parts though? New CPUs and GPUs are releasing soon - in fact Nvidia is revealing their new Ampere GPUs in two weeks.

Oh right. Will probably go for the new GPU, as for CPU I can't wait much longer as I'm having issues with my current one.

But probably will go for a 3080 or 3070 when it comes out.

I suppose I can wait till it comes out to see it's power consumption.

You'll have to keep in mind that yeah, on one hand you're gonna get new hardware but on the other hand it will expensive (because it's just launched and they'll know it's gonna fly off the shelves) and drivers may be buggy for a few weeks until they smoothen everything out.

Depending on stocks and demand, you may see the 2080 cards get a small discount, but doubt it.