Just got a near new ax1200 for £120 was it a good deal

As the title says I just picked up a ax1200 for £120 it was cheaper than most 850 units I was looking at new and the psu was apparently only a couple months old it came with all the cables , box , ties im just worried if the psu is not good and isn't high quality like Corsair usually is I have warranty but I just don't know if it's the usual top of the end with Corsair has anyone delt with the ax units I've heard they have great reviews but just thought to ask if anyone has one and what they think of it (any model of ax I just want to know if it's good ) 

Wait, AX1200?.. like the gold/beige/brown/whateverthatis label one?

46709067.corsair-ax1200-cmpsu-1200ax.jpg.2f1e205839f08006eaefed79cbd3dd32.jpg

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Wait, AX1200?.. like the gold/beige label one?

Yes that one 

Just now, Hunted_marksman said:

Yes that one 

That's a nearly 10 year old PSU if I'm not mistaken.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

That's a nearly 10 year old PSU if I'm not mistaken.

Don't they still produce them I saw one in stock not a while ago in pcpartspicker along with the ax1200i

4 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Don't they still produce them I saw one in stock not a while ago in pcpartspicker along with the ax1200i

https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_ax1200/ 2010.

The new Corsair AX units look like this:
-CP-9020152-EU-Gallery-AX1000-01.thumb.png.5cfaa99f721652d5e9d1d381078c2971.png

What did you even need 1200W for?

5 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

The AX760, AX860, AX850 Titanium and AX1000 Titanium are completely different. You wasted your money. I have no idea how you got that a decade old PSU is "near new"

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

The AX760, AX860, AX850 Titanium and AX1000 Titanium are completely different. You wasted your money. I have no idea how you got that a decade old PSU is "near new"

According to pc parts picker corsiar had a ax1200 (the model i have ) in stock 

1 minute ago, Hunted_marksman said:

According to pc parts picker corsiar had a ax1200 (the model i have ) in stock 

I think you're confusing the AX1200 for the completely different AX1200i.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/BHg323/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu1200ax

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/vkYXsY/corsair-power-supply-ax1200i

:)

Yea I am sorry I had look last time the one I have in stock was in January of 2019 

34 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Screenshot_20200812_233746_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

It's out of the box. It's not new. 

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's out of the box. It's not new. 

I know that the seller said it's was near new and wasn't used in any serious load if the psu is faulty will it break the rest of my pc it has warranty and the seller is 100% positive 

Well, if it dies it shouldn't kill any of your other components.  Only about a 5% chance of that happening.

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well, if it dies it shouldn't kill any of your other components.  Only about a 5% chance of that happening.

Ok thanks what should I do to test it before I plug it into my pc and what should I do when it's plugged in I have all sorts of benchmarks if all I need to do is pull power to see if it's stable 

1 hour ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Ok thanks what should I do to test it before I plug it into my pc and what should I do when it's plugged in I have all sorts of benchmarks if all I need to do is pull power to see if it's stable 

You don't have any of the hardware necessary to test power supplies.

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You don't have any of the hardware necessary to test power supplies.

So is they nothing I can do to make sure it works before I plug it I to my system or should I just plug it streight in 

6 hours ago, Hunted_marksman said:

So is they nothing I can do to make sure it works before I plug it I to my system or should I just plug it streight in 

you can order a little psu tester off of amazon for 10 bucks that'll tell you the voltages supplied through each connector before you hook it up to your system. if you're cheap you can do the paper clip thing and jump pins 13 and 14 or whichever that'll let you know if it'll turn on

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

The AX Gold series PSUs were truly excellent for their era, but that era was a decade ago.

I'd have much rather bought a new, modern design 750 or 850 than taken a chance on this, and that's coming from someone whose main system is powered by an AX Gold he's owned since about 2011.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

2 hours ago, HM-2 said:

The AX Gold series PSUs were truly excellent for their era, but that era was a decade ago.

I'd have much rather bought a new, modern design 750 or 850 than taken a chance on this, and that's coming from someone whose main system is powered by an AX Gold he's owned since about 2011.

Well I need over 1000w so 850 isn't going to work the 1200w was cheaper than the 850 even some 750s I also got some proof via the seller of it working they used a 3930k and a R9 290 so nothing extreme the psu dosent make any coil whine and the fan which is prone to making alot of noise when old is fine and still nice and quite 

3 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

you can order a little psu tester off of amazon for 10 bucks that'll tell you the voltages supplied through each connector before you hook it up to your system. if you're cheap you can do the paper clip thing and jump pins 13 and 14 or whichever that'll let you know if it'll turn on

Thanks I'll try the paperclip first before I order anything 

10 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Well I need over 1000w 

How many Tesla cards are you using in your workstation?

Or are you LN2 overclocking a Threadripper?

17 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

How many Tesla cards are you using in your workstation?

Or are you LN2 overclocking a Threadripper?

Crossfire 64 I render projects their really good and better than 2 1070s yea powers more but the 64s are better at gaming which I also do on this machine