"Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Doesn't Run at 1080p Natively"

TopWargamer

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/03/killzone-shadow-fall-multiplayer-doesnt-run-at-1080p-natively

In a new Digital Foundry report exploring the prospect of allowing games to run at 60 frames per second at a resolution of 720p rather than 30 frames per second at 1080p, Shadow Fall's resolution and framerate were examined. The single-player does indeed run at full 1080p (albeit with an unlocked framerate and a recently added option to lock it at 30 FPS), but multiplayer does not. Instead, it uses a framebuffer of 960x1080 -- as opposed to the standard 1080p resolution of 1920x1080 -- that allows it to average about 50 FPS.

Well I mean, *technically* it is 1080p, just not the standard 1080p. *Technically.* Still not an excuse though. Sony should have been straight up and honest about this. As for the 50 FPS thing, that still is pretty high FPS and will still let the game run very smoothly, and quite frankly, most console players can't even see the difference, especially with FPS. 

COMIC SANS

this resolution race on the console is absurd, ofc i wanted this new gen to be faster because more complex and detailed games can be made but to rage because is not running at a native res feels stupid, if i were to buy a console the last thing i would care is if a game runs at a native resolution, because it would still looks pretty good compared to last gen, i would only care if the jaggies were like they are now on ps3 and 360 because that just to fucking distracting, but atm they aren't  

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Again on a tv I don't sit close enough to really tell the difference between varying resolutions

These are getting old... Yeah we know console does not run most of the AAA game at 1080p 60 fps.. (no offence, maybe others care)

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

They mostly did this to retain the little 1080p badge on the game box.

What kind of fucked up resolution if that though?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

They mostly did this to retain the little 1080p badge on the game box.

What kind of fucked up resolution if that though?

Console games routinely run at messed up resolutions. A lot of games last gen ran at just under 720p, Theif on the XB1 runs at 1920x900. If the game is close to being able to run at the target resolution and target frame-rate then shaving off a few lines of pixels makes it work and the difference is essentially nill. For all practical purposes it is 1080p.

Console games routinely run at messed up resolutions. A lot of games last gen ran at just under 720p, Theif on the XB1 runs at 1920x900. If the game is close to being able to run at the target resolution and target frame-rate then shaving off a few lines of pixels makes it work and the difference is essentially nill. For all practical purposes it is 1080p.

almost 1000 pixels isn't a few....

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

almost 1000 pixels isn't a few....

Going from 1920x1080 to 960x1080 is WAAAY more than 1000 pixels. 1920x1080 is 2,073,600 pixels. 960x1080 is 1,036,800 or exactly half of 1080p. Even with the huge pixel difference if you put them side-by-side on the same TV I bet you most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you are looking up close, like say at a monitor, you could probably tell the difference but from a few feet away? Highly unlikely.

Going from 1920x1080 to 960x1080 is WAAAY more than 1000 pixels. 1920x1080 is 2,073,600 pixels. 960x1080 is 1,036,800 or exactly half of 1080p. Even with the huge pixel difference if you put them side-by-side on the same TV I bet you most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you are looking up close, like say at a monitor, you could probably tell the difference but from a few feet away? Highly unlikely.

I was referring to lines of pixels not pixel count.

Hail Sithis!

I was referring to lines of pixels not pixel count.

I see. I wasn't just talking about Shadow Fall's weird resolution. A few applies very well to going from 1920x1080 to 1920x900 or the 600-whatever p last gen games ran at. One example being off doesn't discount the entire statement.

this resolution race on the console is absurd, ofc i wanted this new gen to be faster because more complex and detailed games can be made but to rage because is not running at a native res feels stupid, if i were to buy a console the last thing i would care is if a game runs at a native resolution, because it would still looks pretty good compared to last gen, i would only care if the jaggies were like they are now on ps3 and 360 because that just to fucking distracting, but atm they aren't  

Agreed, but yet you reap what you sow: they are the ones who created the hype and the next gen talk and HD gaming this and that yet they can't deliver on the hardware they could afford to promote.

Sorry but for both Sony and MS: Cry me a fucking river, after all they've done to undermine PC gaming, all the devs they stole away, all the games they withheld, I am supposed to be understanding of a problem of their own creation? 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Agreed, but yet you reap what you sow: they are the ones who created the hype and the next gen talk and HD gaming this and that yet they can't deliver on the hardware they could afford to promote.

Sorry but for both Sony and MS: Cry me a fucking river, after all they've done to undermine PC gaming, all the devs they stole away, all the games they withheld, I am supposed to be understanding of a problem of their own creation? 

I find it funny that MS is trying to cover up the fact that the PS4 is faster in every single way compared to the Xbox one. Microsoft makes ridiculous claims that the 32mb of esram makes up for the difference in performance. The PS4 has a 50% performance advantage over the One in GPU alone! not to mention faster ram and a higher CPU clockspeed. But MSoft made the Xbox one out of magic so it wins automatically. 

If Microsoft keeps up it's inability to stay competitive and offer appealing services they won't make it in this industry as is.

Hail Sithis!

I find it funny that MS is trying to cover up the fact that the PS4 is faster in every single way compared to the Xbox one. Microsoft makes ridiculous claims that the 32mb of esram makes up for the difference in performance. The PS4 has a 50% performance advantage over the One in GPU alone! not to mention faster ram and a higher CPU clockspeed. But MSoft made the Xbox one out of magic so it wins automatically. 

If Microsoft keeps up it's inability to stay competitive and offer appealing services they won't make it in this industry as is.

Don't get me wrong, I agree and do think Microsoft is the biggest of the two evils. However Sony it's by no means in the clear either and I trust them as far as I can throw them. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't get me wrong, I agree and do think Microsoft is the biggest of the two evils. However Sony it's by no means in the clear either and I trust them as far as I can throw them. 

Oh yeah, I hope I didn't come off praising Sony in any sort of way. They are both assholes!

I stand by the prediction that by 3 years both consoles will have implemented similar always on DRM schemes. I mean I still find it insane that you have to be an Xbox Gold Sub to use Netflix etc.

Hail Sithis!

Again on a tv I don't sit close enough to really tell the difference between varying resolutions

This really is a big point to make and and accept, most non-pc users wouldn't care anyway,... but the further away you are, and most likely being a couch gamer you ARE a little further away then the difference is not that bad on 50" panels or less, only when viewing up close do you see a real benefit/difference in a very detailed 720p or 900/1080p comparison, I'm also talking with a difference in seating space of about 7ft or more for a huge panel, and 4-5ft for a smaller panel.

Only when you within 2ft would you see the minor difference of 900vs1080 and 720p aliased  edges are obviously more apparent the closer you are.

Apart from all this.. Minimum fps constant 1080p 55-60fps is a mean feat for a console regardless without limiting scene detail, 720p FULLY High detailed scenes at 60fps I'd be happy with mainstream (this generation, knowing the issues of pushing 60fps@1080p)

If only they get it right the next time.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

well that a fair point but i'm not defending them since the media is the one keeping this fire alive after MS and sony started it, and after everyone knows the damn differences at this point, still they are bloody articles about games not able to this or that which is silly at this point 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Wow, that's actually less pixels than 1600*900... Pathetic.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Sort of like saying that well-formed feces at least looks better than diarrhea.

I really do say this with a straight face, because I recall a few years back, after playing PC games consistently for 2 years at 1920x1200 and 60 FPS, I decided to play the newest Gears of War game at the time.  I was shocked to see how bad it looked, yet nothing had changed.  It was always the 30 FPS locked / frame dipping graphics in addition to upscale 720p image on my large, nice looking 1080p HD 46 inches.  It truly looked bad once you are used to the good stuff.

So, when the statement is made "because it would still looks pretty good compared to last gen", it is hardly an improvement when your reference point is also trash.  Here's another one for you: at least Miley Cyrus sounds better than Justin Bieber (both are well below the bar).

Next Gen consoles that run games on lower resolution than phones good work Micro$oft and Sony.

And why are they even complaining??
Last Year they where playing games at 640p/30FPS/lower player count/DX9/settings under low and now there bitching about not having 1080p.
They are the last people allowed to complain about game visuals they are the ones that where holding games back for the last 8 Years.

How can you even be so stupid to pay $60 for dumped down games and pay for a so called "online service" while they aren't even the ones running the servers.

RTX2070OC 

Sort of like saying that well-formed feces at least looks better than diarrhea.

I really do say this with a straight face, because I recall a few years back, after playing PC games consistently for 2 years at 1920x1200 and 60 FPS, I decided to play the newest Gears of War game at the time.  I was shocked to see how bad it looked, yet nothing had changed.  It was always the 30 FPS locked / frame dipping graphics in addition to upscale 720p image on my large, nice looking 1080p HD 46 inches.  It truly looked bad once you are used to the good stuff.

So, when the statement is made "because it would still looks pretty good compared to last gen", it is hardly an improvement when your reference point is also trash.  Here's another one for you: at least Miley Cyrus sounds better than Justin Bieber (both are well below the bar).

i made my comment coming from the ex-console player that i am, ofc if you ad the pc element is going to look, feel and play like shit compared to a proper made PC game but, if for whatever reason you wanted one of these console the last thing i would care if the damn thing were running a render resolution that is lower to the display resolution besides it does still look pretty good compared to last gen ONLY, not when compared to even a low end pc here bf4 on 360 vs the xbone to prove it

p3aNQa3.png 

before you ask, yes i made a quick google search because i'm busy atm 

i always laugh when i see(especially lately w these next gen consoles) all the resolution and fps talk. on PC id really rant about it but on console? naaah console is just something i just wana lay back and play the games without worrying about how it runs(unless its VERY bad/unplayable). 

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M