Laptop CPU getting very hot while charging

mgaffar

Hi,

New here but having an issue with my new laptop. I got a 2020 model of the 13inch hp envy x360. This has the ryzen 7 4700u in it.

Im having an issue with the CPU getting extremely hot while the laptop is plugged in/charging.

On battery power, the cpu temps are sitting between 47c - 55c while im watching a Twitch stream and browsing the web (approx 15 tabs open in chrome)

As soon as I plug in the charger the cpu temps shoot up massively and sits at around 90c doing the same tasks. On a couple occasions it even hit 106c.

Any ideas on how to stop my cpu melting while the laptop is charging?

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

When it's plugged in it turobs higher and uses more power just set your power plan by clicking on the battery icon in the taskbar and change it not to the highest setting but in the middle somewhere

Just tried plugging in and setting the power plan to 'best battery' and it still gets hot, as soon as the charger is plugged in the cpu temps start creeping up almost instantly.

Are you certain it's the CPU and not the battery?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Are you certain it's the CPU and not the battery?

I've got core temp running, and the numbers i posted are what it is showing for cpu temp.

Are you seeing higher frequencies when you have the charger plugged in? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Are you seeing higher frequencies when you have the charger plugged in? 

Yup. On battery power frequencies are around 1400mhz on all cores and voltage is around 0.7. When plugged in some cores fluctuate and go as high as 4200mhz, the voltage also reaches 1.3+ volts.

1 minute ago, mgaffar said:

Yup. On battery power frequencies are around 1400mhz on all cores and voltage is around 0.7. When plugged in some cores fluctuate and go as high as 4200mhz, the voltage also reaches 1.3+ volts.

So it is boosting with the added power budget, could be something you need to adjust in the bios if you can't manage it through windows power plans

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, mgaffar said:

Yeah, that's normal then. If you want, you can create a new power plan based on the best battery/max battery/whatever it's called one and lower your maximum processor utilization from 100% to a number that gives you good performance without roasting your weenee.

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

So it is boosting with the added power budget, could be something you need to adjust in the bios if you can't manage it through windows power plans

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Yeah, that's normal then. If you want, you can create a new power plan based on the best battery/max battery/whatever it's called one and lower your maximum processor utilization from 100% to a number that gives you good performance without roasting your weenee.

Thanks guys, ill give these suggestions a try later. The reason I was worried is I checked the amd site for the max temp of this cpu and it states 105c, mine reached 106c on a couple occasions and even 109c at one point, when i was only watching a twitch stream.

1 minute ago, mgaffar said:

Thanks guys, ill give these suggestions a try later. The reason I was worried is I checked the amd site for the max temp of this cpu and it states 105c, mine reached 106c on a couple occasions and even 109c at one point, when i was only watching a twitch stream.

Check the usage in a resource monitor like AIDA64 or HWMonitor while it's charging. It should start to throttle when it gets up that high. A cheap laptop stand shaped in a way that lets airflow in might also not be a bad idea. The real value in laptop stands isn't the fan underneath it that puts on a show and does nothing. It's raising the laptop off the table and onto a mesh or curved surface specifically designed to let air flow in and out clearly.

If all else fails, you might want to just get on the phone with HP. They should have suggestions on keeping it cool, and might be very helpful.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

A cheap laptop stand shaped in a way that lets airflow in might also not be a bad idea. The real value in laptop stands isn't the fan underneath it that puts on a show and does nothing. It's raising the laptop off the table and onto a mesh or curved surface specifically designed to let air flow in and out clearly.

2-in-1, intake and exhaust right next to each other at the rear of the laptop. Not that a stand won't do anything at all, but it won't do much.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W