is it possible to bend the motherboard pins while cleaning thermal paste ?

Sarah242
Go to solution Solved by RejZoR,

Socket_LGA_1366_open_R7309468_wp.jpg

If you look closely at the right side of the socket (which would be bottom side on your photo), the contacts are pointing from right side to the left. Left side is making the contact, right side is the base of the contact. What you'e seeing outside is the pin base.

and while the cpu is installed ?

I removed the cooler from my motherboard because I want to ship

and while im cleaning the cpu from the thermal paste with QTips

my hand slipped to the bottom of the cpu where I can clearly see motherboard pins

I don't want to re attach the cooler again and test

so im asking is it possible to bend the motherboard pins while cpu is installed ?

it is an image from google not my image

install-intel-cpu-motherboard-100748992-large.jpg

1 minute ago, Sarah242 said:

so im asking is it possible to bend the motherboard pins while cpu is installed ?

it is an image from google not my image

The only way to know for sure is for you to remove the CPU from the socket and take a picture, but the answer is likely no. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

59 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If the CPU was in the socket the whole time, probably not.

yes it was in the socket but why these pins are visible in the bottom they should be covered by the cpu right ?

Just now, Sarah242 said:

yes it was in the socket but why these pins are visible in the bottom they should be covered by the cpu right ?

Nope. The picture says a thousand words. The bottom row of pins can stick out below the CPU slightly. If all you did was a gentle brush from a Q-Tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol, they're probably thanking you for the bath.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Nope. The picture says a thousand words. The bottom row of pins can stick out below the CPU slightly. If all you did was a gentle brush from a Q-Tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol, they're probably thanking you for the bath.

I will apply thermal paste and test it just for my OCD 

Just now, Sarah242 said:

I will apply thermal paste and test it just for my OCD 

Yeah, unless you want to pull the CPU out and check visually (and I'm guessing you don't right now), testing it is the only way to be sure. If all you want to do is see it POST, don't waste the thermal paste just yet. Just hold the cooler down on it with firm pressure, and that'll keep temps down just long enough for you to see it POST and power it off again.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

If you leave the retention arm locked down you have nothing to worry about. If you undo the arm and the CPU is freely wiggling around while you're cleaning it then there's the very real possibility with enough force that you could damage the pins if you pop the CPU up while wiping the sides or as you said manage to jab a Q-tip under the CPU.

Remove the CPU. Inspect all the pins in the suspect area. If everything still appears aligned you may have dodged a bullet.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

If you leave the retention arm locked down you have nothing to worry about. If you undo the arm and the CPU is freely wiggling around while you're cleaning it then there's the very real possibility with enough force that you could damage the pins if you pop the CPU up while wiping the sides or as you said manage to jab a Q-tip under the CPU.

Remove the CPU. Inspect all the pins in the suspect area. If everything still appears aligned you may have dodged a bullet.

the retention arm was locked down .

4 minutes ago, Sarah242 said:

the retention arm was locked down .

Good. If you're worried about it pop the CPU out and look at the pins. Since they were under pressure and you can't fit a Q-tip under the CPU when it's locked down they're probably fine but it's worth making sure.

@Sarah242

It never hurts to do a visual inspection. Visual inspections save lives.

Just be careful, the best time to damage a processor/motherboard is when the processor is removed from the socket.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Socket_LGA_1366_open_R7309468_wp.jpg

If you look closely at the right side of the socket (which would be bottom side on your photo), the contacts are pointing from right side to the left. Left side is making the contact, right side is the base of the contact. What you'e seeing outside is the pin base.