2 GPU one PC for Streaming

startmenu
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
6 minutes ago, startmenu said:

hmmm i already have a GTX 1080ti but it struggle a lot when streaming and playing a triple A title on 1440p resolution that is why i am thinking on getting a second GPU to reduce the streaming encoding from my main GPU. 

The reason why using a second GPU for encoding actually performs worse is because when you're using the same GPU for both gaming on and encoding, the frames never have to leave VRAM -- the GPU can just access the frame-data directly in its own VRAM and encode them -- but when you're using two GPUs, the CPU has to first download each frame from the first GPU into system RAM, then upload that into the second GPU's VRAM for it to be encoded there. That's a LOT of extra traffic that can be avoided with a single GPU, like e.g. playing at 1440p resolution at 60FPS, that'd be 2560 * 1440 pixels by 4 bytes of data per pixel by 60 frames per second ~= around 843MB of data to download from one GPU, then upload to another, every single second.

Good Day!

I just want to get a feedback on this set-up where on your main PC you have two GPU one for gaming process (ex GTX 1080ti) and one for streaming (ex GTX 1650). Is this a viable option? I've search google and youtube and i can't seem to find a concrete answer but i heard from people that has this set-up that it works fine but i need to gather more info before jumping in to this train. 

Looking forward for your response!

1 minute ago, startmenu said:

this a viable option?

No not really considering the 1650 non super uses the old volta encoder which isn't really the best in terms of quality. Getting a 2080/2070 super and then using nvec will probably cost the same  and will be better. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, startmenu said:

Is this a viable option? I've search google and youtube and i can't seem to find a concrete answer but i heard from people that has this set-up that it works fine but i need to gather more info before jumping in to this train.

It works, but it actually performs worse than just using a single GPU for both gaming and streaming.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

It works, but it actually performs worse than just using a single GPU for both gaming and streaming.

even though the other GPU is dedicated as your stream encoder?

Just now, startmenu said:

even though the other GPU is dedicated as your stream encoder?

Yes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

No not really considering the 1650 non super uses the old volta encoder which isn't really the best in terms of quality. Getting a 2080/2070 super and then using nvec will probably cost the same  and will be better. 

hmmm i already have a GTX 1080ti but it struggle a lot when streaming and playing a triple A title on 1440p resolution that is why i am thinking on getting a second GPU to reduce the streaming encoding from my main GPU. 

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Yes.

Thanks for your feedback.. I will take note of this.

Just now, startmenu said:

GPU to reduce the streaming encoding from my main GPU. 

Well if you're using the hardware encoder. That has little to no performance hit on the GPU. So that won't help much really. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Well if you're using the hardware encoder. That has little to no performance hit on the GPU. So that won't help much really. 

Alright i will take note of this. Thanks for the feedback.

6 minutes ago, startmenu said:

The reason why using a second GPU for encoding actually performs worse is because when you're using the same GPU for both gaming on and encoding, the frames never have to leave VRAM -- the GPU can just access the frame-data directly in its own VRAM and encode them -- but when you're using two GPUs, the CPU has to first download each frame from the first GPU into system RAM, then upload that into the second GPU's VRAM for it to be encoded there. That's a LOT of extra traffic that can be avoided with a single GPU, like e.g. playing at 1440p resolution at 60FPS, that'd be 2560 * 1440 pixels by 4 bytes of data per pixel by 60 frames per second ~= around 843MB of data to download from one GPU, then upload to another, every single second.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

The reason why using a second GPU for encoding actually performs worse is because when you're using the same GPU for both gaming on and encoding, the frames never have to leave VRAM -- the GPU can just access the frame-data directly in its own VRAM and encode them -- but when you're using two GPUs, the CPU has to first download each frame from the first GPU into system RAM, then upload that into the second GPU's VRAM for it to be encoded there. That's a LOT of extra traffic that can be avoided with a single GPU, like e.g. playing at 1440p resolution at 60FPS, that'd be 2560 * 1440 pixels by 4 bytes of data per pixel by 60 frames per second ~= around 843MB/s of data to download from one GPU, then upload to another, every single second.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation and i really appreciate this!