Looking to Laterally Upgrade to a Fully Modular PSU and Wondering about Cable Extensions

ThePUNisher96

Can anyone point me to a good fully modular PSU that's available for a decent price? My current PSU is a 650 watt non-modular Corsair CX PSU that works fine (I got it in mid-May when I built my PC and it was one of the best available and affordable options at the time) but I think it might be time for me to upgrade to a fully modular PSU because those extra cables in my case are kind of unsightly. My main requirements are that the PSU has to be at least 650 watts and has to be fully modular. Budget is ~US$120 - US$150

Also, are cable extensions just separate cables that you can buy for a PSU? How do those work?

9 minutes ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

My main requirements are that the PSU has to be at least 650 watts

What parts are you powering? Because almost every single GPU system will run on a decent  550. 

How do those work?

They plug to the atx end and then into the components. If you don't mind that I would suggest getting extensions as they'll the job. 

But to answer your question. 

US$120 - US$150

Straight power 11 550w/650w. 

Rm550x/650x. 

Can anyone point me to a good fully modular PSU that's available for a decent price

Cable mod. (expensive). 

Asia horse. 

Up hear. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I'm quite an advocate for the Corsair RM650x. Fully modular.

Pricing wise all PSUs are inflated right now but I've seen it listed around your budget right now.

PSU extensions are exactly how you said. They mate with the ends of your PSU cables and work just like extension cords. Cablemod makes some good stuff in that regard.

52 minutes ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

Can anyone point me to a good fully modular PSU that's available for a decent price? 

Also, are cable extensions just separate cables that you can buy for a PSU? How do those work?

Extensions are just that:  Extensions. 

If you're getting a fully modular PSU and want custom looking cables, buy cables for that PSU.

The problem with extensions is they make the total cable length ungodly long.  You'll need to hide all of that extra cable somewhere.  Also, the additional connector and wire length adds resistance which causes voltage drop, especially at high loads.  And since the sense wires terminate at the extension's connector, they're not going to be able to do their job of sensing the voltages at the load.

32 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Pricing wise all PSUs are inflated right now but I've seen it listed around your budget right now.

Only where people are able to price gauge.

3rd party sellers are the ones that are doubling prices.

Newegg, Microcenter and Amazon are reasonable and actually have some inventory.

You can also buy direct from Corsair.  They have the RM650x online for $124.99:  https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020178-NA

And the cable set for $109.99:  https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Premium-Individually-Sleeved-PSU-Cables-Pro-Kit-Type-4-Gen-4/p/CP-8920223

34 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Newegg, Microcenter and Amazon are reasonable and actually have some inventory.

I understand that markets fluctuate but it doesn't make me feel any less annoyed that I'm seeing RM650x going for a higher cost ($124.99) that what I paid for a RM850x a couple years ago. (~$105, I can't pull up the invoice at the moment to find the exact number).

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

me feel any less annoyed that I'm seeing RM650x going for a higher cost ($124.99) that what I paid for a RM850x a couple years ago. (~$105, I can't pull up the invoice at the moment to find the exact number).

You do realize covid and the pandemic messed everything up? Prices aren't normally this bad. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

You do realize covid and the pandemic messed everything up? Prices aren't normally this bad. 

Yes. I'm very aware why the prices are what they are right now. It doesn't exactly make me feel better about the situation though. Not sure why you feel the need to explain it to me.

21 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I understand that markets fluctuate but it doesn't make me feel any less annoyed that I'm seeing RM650x going for a higher cost ($124.99) that what I paid for a RM850x a couple years ago. (~$105, I can't pull up the invoice at the moment to find the exact number).

$105 is a hell of a deal any year you bought it.

RM850x has been $149 at Amazon since 4/2018.  

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Not sure why you feel the need to explain it to me.

Because. 

22 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

but it doesn't make me feel any less annoyed that I'm seeing RM650x going for a higher cost ($124.99) that what I paid for a RM850x a couple years ago. (~$105, I can't pull up the invoice at the moment to find the exact number).

^. You say this like it's the vendors fault or Corsair's. At least that's how I understood it. When it clearly isn't. 

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

$105 is a hell of a deal any year you bought it.

RM850x has been $149 at Amazon since 4/2018.  

Alright, I went through the trouble to VPN into my house to login to my Newegg account on a Window VM from my cellphone just so I could find what exactly I paid.

I underestimated...I paid $109.99+tax (so $118.79). This was on Dec 31st 2016. Guess I have to chuck the new price up to inflation & the pandemic.

13 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

^. You say this like it's the vendors fault or Corsair's. At least that's how I understood it. When it clearly isn't. 

I have to be honest. At times I pick words that make sense to me but people often misinterpret. That's my own fault for not clarifying.

I'm aware external forces can influence markets outside a vendors control. Just look at gasoline or diesel. The stations don't have 100% control over their own prices. The market, supply & demand influence cost. And, as you said, yes, COVID-19 is a major influence in the current inflation of computer parts as its impacted supply.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I underestimated...I paid $109.99+tax (so $118.79). This was on Dec 31st 2016. Guess I have to chuck the new price up to inflation & the pandemic.

That's a hell of a deal.  12/31?  Must have been some sort of after-Christmas sale.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's a hell of a deal.  12/31?  Must have been some sort of after-Christmas sale.

Perhaps. It was well worth it, it's been powering one of my servers like a champ all this time. Mini-redundant server PSUs are a whole other world of expensive so I'm glad it's been holding up.