What's the best Email provider?

Question is in the title. Like what's the most safe/secure? I remember a while back yahoo had tons of account details leaked or something, well where am I least likely to have that happen and make sure things are as secure as possible for sending sensitive information?

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Like what's the most safe/secure?

The one you host yourself.

But that takes skills and knowledge.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Choose a reputable hosting provider, buy a domain, and pay for private email hosting. That's your best option.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

where am I least likely to have that happen and make sure things are as secure as possible

well if we knew which service provider was the weakest, that means we know their vulnerabilities isnt it? and that's not good

imo there's no security on the internet and everything is breach-able.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

TBH that would probably be hosting your own Email domain. There's security in anonymity. If you're a small fry and nobody knows about you they have no reason to try and hack you. Though this comes with many challenges that most people wouldn't go through the hassle of setting up.

As for commercial options really any of the big players are fine. It doesn't matter how tight security is someone will find a hole somewhere and exploit it eventually but out of all of them I haven't heard significant leaks happening to gmail.

Host your own.

Otherwise, i've been using Hotmail for useless stuff, and gmail for my primary mail. Dont use email that often tho.

Hosting your own mail server is something I don't recommend at all. It takes a lot of knowledge to make it secure. And even then, one could argue that a team of experts at a major provider can, in most cases, provide better security than you can maintain. Also, in my experience, it's expensive in low volumes.

5 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

Hosting your own mail server is something I don't recommend at all. It takes a lot of knowledge to make it secure. And even then, one could argue that a team of experts at a major provider can, in most cases, provide better security than you can maintain. Also, in my experience, it's expensive in low volumes.

No, hosting one's own mail server isn't sensible unless you really know what you're doing.

But you can pay many webhosts to manage it for you. That's probably the most secure option if you're prepared to pay.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

If you are willing to pay just go with a nice O365 solution and call it a day.

25 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

No, hosting one's own mail server isn't sensible unless you really know what you're doing.

But you can pay many webhosts to manage it for you. That's probably the most secure option if you're prepared to pay.

I think I might try either Protonmail or Yandex mail.

BTW I really appreciate the laptop-only lifestyle. Can I ask what laptop you use? Also what does your docked cooling setup consist of?

Just now, nox_ said:

Yandex is Russian secret service bitch pretty much, nothing is secure there.

I know, but I was thinking on one hand atleast MY government wouldn't have access to it. Not that I'm doing anything to garner the attention of my government.

*paranoid eye shifting*

1 minute ago, nox_ said:

Yandex is Russian secret service bitch pretty much, nothing is secure there.

Yup, and Protonmail is blocked in Russia, that should thell how the things are ... of course if the Russian governemnt isn't hiding their priorities.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yup, and Protonmail is blocked in Russia, that should thell how the things are ... of course if the Russian governemnt isn't hiding their priorities.

VPN is the only choice for proton in Russia. It's also not particularly user friendly, but it is secure.

23 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I think I might try either Protonmail or Yandex mail.

Oh yes I forgot about Proton, they might be a good shout

23 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

BTW I really appreciate the laptop-only lifestyle. Can I ask what laptop you use? Also what does your docked cooling setup consist of?

I have answered that in a status message.

pythonmegapixel

Fastmail has been around forever: https://www.fastmail.com/privacy-and-security/

It's not free, but that's the cost of them not collecting your data or serving ads to you.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20