So how would I power this GPU exactly?

Dimondminer11

So because of this gpu being as cheap as it is (980ti for $182) I am gonna buy it. But first I need to know if there is a way to use a 90 degree angle adapter to make the pci-e power pins actual pci-e connectors. This 980 ti was used in a server according to the seller.s-l1600.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

So because of this gpu being as cheap as it is (980ti for $182) I am gonna buy it. But first I need to know if there is a way to use a 90 degree angle adapter to make the pci-e power pins actual pci-e connectors. This 980 ti was used in a server according to the seller.

Looks like the original owner desoldered the power pins and just soldered in some males headers in its place.

You're gonna have to desolder in some new power headers.

That would be a hard pass from me personally.

Plus you can get working GTX 1070 cards for about 190-230 USD too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Looks like the original owner desoldered the power pins and just soldered in some males headers in its place.

You're gonna have to desolder in some new power headers.

That would be a hard pass from me personally.

Plus you can get working GTX 1070 cards for about 190-230 USD too.

Well to me it seems that it would just be the same thing right? just try and jam a pcie power connector on there (the correct direction obviously) and call it a day.

But yeah I could go about desoldering those pins. Thankfully they arent teeny tiny

1 minute ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Well to me it seems that it would just be the same thing right? just try and jam a pcie power connector on there (the correct direction obviously) and call it a day.

Well in theory you could just get a female PCIE 6+2 header to female *whatever fits on those pins on the board now* and call it a day.

But I am not familiar with the connection on the board currently and wouldn't want to mess with up to 225W of power like that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Well in theory you could just get a female PCIE 6+2 header to female *whatever fits on those pins on the board now* and call it a day.

But I am not familiar with the connection on the board currently and wouldn't want to mess with up to 225W of power like that.

Thats what I was thinking. I googled the model number and it just looks like an evga branded 980 ti founders edition board.

yea i agree with minibois it seems to much of a risk. there are better 1070 aib models for around the same money with better performance. its always better to go for the save bet xD 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

If you want to just plug the connector in directly, you could do that... Just make sure the clip is facing down.

2724-pcb-front.jpg

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

21 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

If you want to just plug the connector in directly, you could do that... Just make sure the clip is facing down.

2724-pcb-front.jpg

Well it doesn't matter now. I managed to find a bog standard PNY GTX 980 TI for $2 cheaper. I have now bought it. I'm pretty excited to have a 1440p med/high @ 60fps GPU now

18 hours ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Well it doesn't matter now. I managed to find a bog standard PNY GTX 980 TI for $2 cheaper. I have now bought it. I'm pretty excited to have a 1440p med/high @ 60fps GPU now

Congrats!

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms