Cablemod made in china?

jasonc_01

Gotta say I'm fairly disappointed to find out that the extremely expensive "custom" cable I ordered from Cablemod are made in China.

Not because being made in china is necessary bad, it's because these fucking cables cost more than the power supply. Not a cheap power supply either, an sf750 platinum. Given the price and currency I thought I was paying an Uber premium because they were made in USA, higher labor cost and a boutique custom product. Not so

The reality as far as I can see given how the configurator works, since custom length was not an option,  is that they have all the different lengths in both materials and in every color premade in bulk. 

I wouldn't have ordered these had I known I was paying $250 Canadian rupes for mass production "custom" cables made in china. I would have just ordered pre sleaved and crimped wires and re-pinned my own cables for $30.

Sorry a bit of a rant but I didn't find this out until I got the "your order is complete" email and saw that DHL was shipping out of Hongkong. 

So just an FYI for anyone who's looking at cablemod "custom" cables and expecting super premium boutique built cable sets.

I don't feel I'm getting my monies worth.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

10 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

cable I ordered from Cablemod are made in China.

im sorry but what? even premium products are assembled/ produced in china.

how is this disappointing? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I have some cablemod pro cables, the white/black full kit for my PC. They are nice, but yes, they did ship from China, to the UK, to Cablemods hub in Germany, back to the UK and finally to where I am, a nice extra long trip.

A lot of premium things are made in China.

Your paying a premium for the brand name and aesthetics, not really anything else.

I am really not sure why your surprised.

gotta get that spy chip to the US somehow

jokes aside, is the quality not up to your expectations?

personally dont care where my product is from, as long as the quality meets my expectations

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

27 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

gotta get that spy chip to the US somehow

jokes aside, is the quality not up to your expectations?

personally dont care where my product is from, as long as the quality meets my expectations

No it's not that, it's if I'm paying premium boutique made in America price than that what I expect. To find its not boutique, mass production made in chine for boutique price is a little shity. Had I know I would have ordered from someone like solo sleeving, or again made it myself. 

I just don't see the value when I find out it probably only cost $10 USD make, the shipping was more than the cost of making the product. 

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

1 minute ago, jasonc_01 said:

To find its not boutique, mass production made in chine for boutique price is a little shity.

so i guess you're paying for the workmanship, instead of the product, is what you're saying

yea i get that u want to support local businesses and what not

but again, if the quality is the same, i wouldnt mind personally

unless like your case, i want to support certain aspects of a business but end up it's no different from the others

29 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

so i guess you're paying for the workmanship, instead of the product, is what you're saying

yea i get that u want to support local businesses and what not

but again, if the quality is the same, i wouldnt mind personally

unless like your case, i want to support certain aspects of a business but end up it's no different from the others

Well the workmanship on something "custom" is the product, thats what you paying for in a custom product. That workmanship. 

This has none, the sleeved and crimped wires lengths are mass produced and worker just picks the length and colors and puts it in the connector. 

I can buy 30cm crimped wires nylon sleeved for $.59 cad a piece. 

I used to race Honda's, had a 99 hatch with a k series swap. When I was building it and looking at headers, I could have got a ktuned made in china header for under $500 or a DTR Danny tran racing header for $1500. I paid the premium price to get a premium custom made to order header. 

I paid the premium price for my hellcat for the 707hp. 

It's not the product it's the value. 

1 minute ago, jasonc_01 said:

This has none, the sleeved and crimped wires lengths are mass produced and worker just picks the length and colors and puts it in the connector.

so what if the cables are mass produced? so what if the cables length are standard?

in the end, the product is still within spec

are the colors wrong? probably not because that would be a whole other issue

i think it's all about mentality, im not the type of person to buy a product over another just because it have an apple sticker on it but cost slightly more

also, machined parts are more often more precise than handcrafted ones

how precise can you cut a wire to exactly 300mm+-0.1? how fast can you do it?

if a machine can do it better, and faster, why isnt machined parts better?

43 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

so what if the cables are mass produced? so what if the cables length are standard?

in the end, the product is still within spec

are the colors wrong? probably not because that would be a whole other issue

i think it's all about mentality, im not the type of person to buy a product over another just because it have an apple sticker on it but cost slightly more

also, machined parts are more often more precise than handcrafted ones

how precise can you cut a wire to exactly 300mm+-0.1? how fast can you do it?

if a machine can do it better, and faster, why isnt machined parts better?

It's not about mentality.

I don't expect to get a mass produced product made in china with 7-10 x mark-up when I pay the price of domestically produced custom products. 

I'm not sure what why you can't understand. 

I can't make myself, custom length cables and sleeve and crimp the ends and repin my cables for $250. 

I can however order the same premade material they use and repin my own cables for less than $75, and have done so before.

20180818_135112.jpg

7 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

I don't expect to get a mass produced product made in china with 7-10 x mark-up when I pay the price of domestically produced custom products.

so why would you pay more if it's manufactured in the US?

Because I expect manufactured in US to made, not assembled. 

3 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

Sorry a bit of a rant but I didn't find this out until I got the "your order is complete" email and saw that DHL was shipping out of Hongkong.

Um.... 2-3 week lead time and $20 flat rate shipping. Does that not make it obvious that it's coming from abroad?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

33 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

Because I expect manufactured in US to made, not assembled. 

you mean "because i expect it to be handmade in US, not assembled."?

i dont think cablemod says they handmade them in the US, maybe handmade in china because custom colors and all

also, "i expect" is not a good way to go about things

ever heard of a saying, assume = make an ASS out of U and ME

So I see some arguments for "why do you care if it's made in China", which of course makes sense, the fact that something is made in China doesn't mean it's bad stuff and you may still have to pay a price. (I mean an iPhone is also made in China after all)

However, if you only accepted the high price because you thought it's made in the US, in other words, thinking "ah crap this is expensive, but I guess it's made in the US so any cheaper probably wasn't possible", I can totally see you'd feel ripped off finding out the stuff gets made in China after all. At the end of the day making things in China is much cheaper.

13 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Um.... 2-3 week lead time and $20 flat rate shipping. Does that not make it obvious that it's coming from abroad?

I totally agree with this though, you could have found out beforehand.

43 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

No not at all. Many parts that I order for my hellcat are made to order with 4-6 lead time and flat rate shipping from the us.

2 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

No not at all. Many parts that I order for my hellcat are made to order with 4-6 lead time and flat rate shipping from the us.

I expect most of them are significantly larger than some cables, mind.

1 hour ago, jasonc_01 said:

Do cablemods advertise their product as "made in the US"? I don't believe so.

I have no idea why you assumed they would be based solely on the price; plenty of other companies you could have gone with.

If you care that much about buying from the US, then actively seek out companies that produce in the US rather than just naively assuming they must.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

35 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you mean "because i expect it to be handmade in US, not assembled."?

i dont think cablemod says they handmade them in the US, maybe handmade in china because custom colors and all

also, "i expect" is not a good way to go about things

ever heard of a saying, assume = make an ASS out of U and ME

Does custom made not infer hand made? They kinda go together in most instances.

3 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

I expect most of them are significantly larger than some cables, mind.

Do cablemods advertise their product as "made in the US"? I don't believe so.

I have no idea why you assumed they would be based solely on the price; plenty of other companies you could have gone with.

They don't actually advertise any details about the company at all.

I'm using Made in US ubiquitously btw, insert Canada, eu, UK, Australia ect. 

BTW:  All of your parts are made in China.

Also, 50% of what you're paying for is materials.  The fact that the cables are made in China does not change the cost of the materials used.  The Corsair sleeved cables are expensive too.  Why?  Materials.

You're not paying made in US pricing either.  I know a cable manufacturer her in the U.S.   It costs almost $200 to make.  Not so much because of labor, which is double, but because of parts and supply chain.  Why?  Because the sleeves, pins, connectors, etc. are all made in China.  This also means you need to add a 25% tariff to that.

31 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

BTW:  All of your parts are made in China.

Also, 50% of what you're paying for is materials.  The fact that the cables are made in China does not change the cost of the materials used.  The Corsair sleeved cables are expensive too.  Why?  Materials.

You're not paying made in US pricing either.  I know a cable manufacturer her in the U.S.   It costs almost $200 to make.  Not so much because of labor, which is double, but because of parts and supply chain.  Why?  Because the sleeves, pins, connectors, etc. are all made in China.  This also means you need to add a 25% tariff to that.

I think your off the mark, I made my own for my last build. It took me a couple hours and maybe $35 cad in wires and combs retail, and the most time consuming part was unpinning my connectors.

1 hour ago, jasonc_01 said:

Does custom made not infer hand made?

i dont think so

you can pick color and the factory will make one

it's custom for you, but not hand made necessarily

38 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

I think your off the mark, I made my own for my last build. It took me a couple hours and maybe $35 cad in wires and combs retail, and the most time consuming part was unpinning my connectors.

You used the paracord sleeve and the non-heatshrink ends?  

Because $35 sounds pretty cheap.  I know people that make their own that are dead-ringers for Cablemod and the sleeves alone were almost $50 (wires and terminals cost hardly anything).

EDIT:  Also, why did you first say $75 and now say $35?  Which is it?  $75 or $35?

3 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

Does custom made not infer hand made?

No.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

You used the paracord sleeve and the non-heatshrink ends?  

Because $35 sounds pretty cheap.  I know people that make their own that are dead-ringers for Cablemod and the sleeves alone were almost $50 (wires and terminals cost hardly anything).

EDIT:  Also, why did you first say $75 and now say $35?  Which is it?  $75 or $35?

Same like a modmesh so nylon mesh sleeve.

No heat shrink, the wires come sleeved and pinned already. The time consuming part was unpinning my oe cable for the ends, more my fault for buying the cheapo pinning tool. Much easier with the genuine pin tool. 

When I said $75 I was including the time to actually make the cable, if I had just said $35 then ppl will say  you have to add your time right.

Edit: from performance PC's I can buy 4 packs of modflex pre sleeved and pinned, 8" pack is $1.95. So that's $12 for wire to do a 24 pin retail, and $1 for a cable comb retail.