$300 for TWO laptops?

NickHeavy

Do you want more for your money? Or are on a super tight budget? Does Walmart’s EVOO house brand compact laptops bring much in the way of value? WE go over them and definitely find out which one to avoid. Are they worth it for just windows 10 and the Office 365 subscription?

Buy EVOO 11.6" Ultra Thin Laptop

On Walmart.com (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/k31N

Buy EVOO 11.6" Convertible Touchscreen Laptop

On Walmart.com (PAID LINK); https://geni.us/xqhJ

5 minutes ago, iloveckm said:

as an owner of these two laptops, they died in months. not worth it

Is there no one year guarantee

What was the problem with it.

Create a post, might be fixeable

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

2 minutes ago, Anonymous015 said:

Is there no one year guarantee

What was the problem with it.

Create a post, might be fixeable

there was a cracking noise in both the laptops.

I dlon't know maybe the hard drive. But when I went to Walmart they kept avoiding the question and keep trying to sell me mousepads and keyboards. not worth

Watching this and seeing how both are faster than my laptop. 😫

Throw linux on there & see if it becomes much better or not.

If you're willing to spend around 250$ to 300$, you can get a lot more value buying some chinese brands. I got one for about 270 including shipping with 8GB ram, a quadcore celeron, touchscreen (2in1), usb-c charging, aluminium frame and a proper keyboard. Also, they don't break after 5 minutes. Mine still works after 1.5 years. Chris from techtablets.com does reviews of these all the time.

Lol those are terrible, get a used Thinkpad and it'll beat it in every way possible.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Hmm, I'm wondering if it would be faster with Linux. They say it's easier to run and I'm wondering if you can get a bit more usability out of them if you make the switch.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Some time last year, Walmart sold the Motile(tm) Ryzen 5 laptop for about 300$. Everything was fully upgradable (CPU aside, but it did have 2 m.2 slots) and a lovely little laptop, I wrote a review on it around that time. I use my daily, been super pleased with it, esp for the price I paid for it (at the time)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Say could you maybe do a test how well the blue machine does with in-home streaming such as Steam Remote Play, Parsec, Moonlight, etc?

31 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Some time last year, Walmart sold the Motile(tm) Ryzen 5 laptop for about 300$. Everything was fully upgradable (CPU aside, but it did have 2 m.2 slots) and a lovely little laptop, I wrote a review on it around that time. I use my daily, been super pleased with it, esp for the price I paid for it (at the time)

I tried to get my sister to go for a Ryzen based Lenovo instead of an Intel model that was another $100. I failed. :(

As far as cheap laptops go, I still use my RCA Cambio with the Atom and 2 GB RAM. Original Serious Sam runs fantastic. Fable TLC needs some reduced settings to run well. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, robotbreaker said:

If you're willing to spend around 250$ to 300$, you can get a lot more value buying some chinese brands. I got one for about 270 including shipping with 8GB ram, a quadcore celeron, touchscreen (2in1), usb-c charging, aluminium frame and a proper keyboard. Also, they don't break after 5 minutes. Mine still works after 1.5 years. Chris from techtablets.com does reviews of these all the time.

Or you could buy used 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Just buy used guys...

But I don't want to buy a used guy...who knows where he's been? 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I've owned what I think was either a rebrand of the blue one, or one with identical specs and an almost identical chassis. The base system there is painful, even for basic Windows 10 stuff like turning the computer on. When W10 was switched out for an XFCE-based Linux distro, there are no words for how amazing the improvement was. So much smoother, so much faster, but still useless for anything other than Open Office and Chromium. Forget about YouTube unless you were cool with watching everything in 720p at best. Still, as a basic productivity laptop, Linux made it extremely usable as a daily driver.

But not usable enough. It took about a week before it found its forever home.

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

Just buy used guys...

The problem with that attitude is that there are a lot--a lot--of people out there who won't touch a used laptop. If they're going to spend lots of money on a laptop, it's going to be one that comes to them brand new in a sealed box with a warranty. At the mid to high end, that's fine. I support that pattern of thought, and I'm the same way about hardware past a certain dollar value. It's the low end, where these laptops reside, where that's a bad idea 92.8% of the year. Might as well put out a few warnings, especially during back-to-school season when families are going to be looking for crap like this, but saying, "buy a used laptop" in a review video will instantly tune a lot of people out. Why buy a used T420 that will look and feel like a brick but last forever when there's a slim, lightweight laptop that will "work" for a few months then die unceremoniously but look damn good doing it?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I wish LTT had advised against people buying these laptops. The 32GB of storage is absolutely not enough to run Windows 10. I have a similarly speced HP Stream laptop and I cannot update the OS because Windows 10 alone takes about 22GB of the storage, 2GH is off limits for recovery partition, and another 3GB is just not available. So a barebones Windows 10 laptop with no apps or software, doesn’t have the 8GB free space to download and install a Windows update. I even tried deleting the virtual RAM/memory paging files and it couldn’t get there.

The average consumer is going to hate this when their apps stop running because they can’t update the OS. These 32GB storage laptops are not worth it. They shouldn’t even make these.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

I've owned what I think was either a rebrand of the blue one, or one with identical specs and an almost identical chassis. The base system there is painful, even for basic Windows 10 stuff like turning the computer on. When W10 was switched out for an XFCE-based Linux distro, there are no words for how amazing the improvement was. So much smoother, so much faster, but still useless for anything other than Open Office and Chromium. Forget about YouTube unless you were cool with watching everything in 720p at best. Still, as a basic productivity laptop, Linux made it extremely usable as a daily driver.

How on earth would even these basic laptops struggle with 1080P YouTube!? Surely, they’ve some form of hardware VP9 decoding. VP9 has only been a thing for near a decade. You sure that Linux install had the necessary graphics drivers to do hardware video decoding?

My own RCA laptop (Intel Atom z3735F) doesn’t have VP9 decoding, but forcing the browser to use h.264 allows 1080P 60 fps video to play flawlessly through Youtube. 

My eyes see the past…

11 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

How on earth would even these basic laptops struggle with 1080P YouTube!? Surely, they’ve some form of hardware VP9 decoding. VP9 has only been a thing for near a decade. You sure that Linux install had the necessary graphics drivers to do hardware video decoding?

My own RCA laptop (Intel Atom z3735F) doesn’t have VP9 decoding, but forcing the browser to use h.264 allows 1080P 60 fps video to play flawlessly through Youtube. 

Memory usage, I would imagine. That's not to excuse the Craperon graphics. A first-year art student could render faster than they do. But Windows 10 by itself will gleefully take up 4GB of RAM if you let it. On a laptop that only has 4GB to work with, well, that doesn't leave much for the iGPU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Memory usage, I would imagine. That's not to excuse the Craperon graphics. A first-year art student could render faster than they do. But Windows 10 by itself will gleefully take up 4GB of RAM if you let it. On a laptop that only has 4GB to work with, well, that doesn't leave much for the iGPU.

Probably being on 32-bit helps a bit, but not by a substantial amount I’d imagine. Granted, I’m not running more than a few tabs in Firefox at a time, though extensive browsing is kind of beyond the intended scope of this PC. I’ve my desktop if I need more power. 

Video decoding doesn’t require much memory, and the GPU performance is of little relevance. Either it works, or you’re decoding on the CPU (which Atoms and small-core Celerons are hard pressed to do at 1080P). Even outputting to an external display, playback exhibits no problems for me in all of Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube (h.264), all ran through the browser no less with not a dropped frame once it’s in full screen. 

Not saying these things are fast, or even reasonable for the non-techies, because you really need to run a pretty lean ship (software-wise) to squeeze usable performance from such low class of hardware. Would never recommend one of these cheap laptop for a primary computer.

However, someone that knows what they’re doing can get a lot of use out of very low end hardware. And for me, there’s a bit of fun in getting crap hardware to do something useful. 

3441F384-3154-4B29-9EDC-E735EF597EBF.jpeg

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

saying, "buy a used laptop" in a review video will instantly tune a lot of people out.

LTT has recommended used hardware multiple times in the past, I doubt that's the reason for not mentioning it here.

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

But I don't want to buy a used guy...who knows where he's been? 🤪

TRU

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

These laptops give a bad name to the IT industry. I know a lot of non-IT people who buy these kind of laptops for youtube and skype. They always come to me complaining it's unusable.