Escape From Tarkov RAM Speed tested

wildgg

Hey LTT,

INTRO:

This post won't be the most detailed post you have ever seen but nonetheless i wanted to share this piece of information.

It seems there's not allot of info out there about RAM speed difference for Escape From Tarkov.

I've read a few reddit posts about people asking if it's worth upgrading your RAM and most replies were: ''yes if you are using ryzen since AMD loves RAM speed.''

i definitely do agree with that statement and that is true for most games out there.

I couldn't find to much info about this topic my self so i'm hoping this topic will find it's way to those who need it!

My tests were based on a Intel platform using a i7 8700k @4.7ghz (all cores), Corsair Vengeance LPX, GTX 1080ti locked at 1930mhz.

Click HERE for the ingame graphics settings i used.

These numbers are based on the map: Customs i walked from Extracts: Crossroads to Military base CP.

before and after tests were run 7 times, i combined the 7 runs and took the averages (NOTE: all 7 runs were very close to eachother)

RESULTS:

16GB (2x8) 2400mhz

Average   : 102.5

Minimum  : 76.2

Maximum : 120

1% low     : 79.3

32GB (2x16) 3200mhz

Average   : 111.7

Minimum  : 90.6

Maximum : 120

1% low     : 84.7

Final word:

I have taken video recordings of the runs and put them side by side and i saw what my logs showed.

in general you will see an improvement of 10 fps, take in mind this might be different for your system!

yes the second test does have 16GB more RAM but in all my tests the total RAM usage did not go above 12GB so i don't believe that matters here.

hopefully this was somewhat usefull and thanks for reading :)

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

2x8GB vs 2x16GB on the same speed may have showed improvements because of Single Rank vs Dual Rank as Dual Rank has a bit better bandwidth.

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

2x8GB vs 2x16GB on the same speed may have showed improvements because of Single Rank vs Dual Rank as Dual Rank has a bit better bandwidth.

not sure what you mean with Rank?

both kits were in dual channel if you're refering to that.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

memory sticks can be single rank and dual rank ... i think also quad rank exists but rare and they're not supported well. 

Basically there's some time needed for the memory chips to process a request for data and start transmitting the data to the cpu.

With dual rank sticks it's possible for the memory controller to start transferring data from one rank on the stick and place a command to get data from the other rank on the same stick ... this way when its done transferring from the first rank, the other rank is almost (or already) ready to start transmitting its own data.

This way, a few nanoseconds worth of latency are shaved off, so you get slightly more bandwidth overall.

Dual channel is separate, it's paralleling requests, reading two sticks simultaneously ... but if both sticks are single rank, the cpu's memory controller places a request for data on both channels (both sticks) and then has to wait a few nanoseconds until both sticks are ready to send their burst of data to the memory controller.

single rank is easier to drive, easier on the memory controller, so that's why they're better for overclocking and getting high frequencies ... but dual rank sticks have the potential of a bit better bandwidth (minimal though)

1 hour ago, wildthing said:

not sure what you mean with Rank?

both kits were in dual channel if you're refering to that.

Typicaly Single Rank memory has the ICs (the chips) only on one side of the stick and Dual Rank has the ICs on both sides. There are few exception though, and there are Dual Rank sticks that have ICs only on one side.

That said, having more RAM improves the bandwidth a bit at the cost of a lower OC potential since you need to push more ICs to higher frequency and it also has a bigger impact on the memory controller.

For motherboards with 4 slots:

If you have two Single Rank sticks in Dual Channel then you run Single Rank configuration.

If you have four Single Rank sticks in a Dual Channel then you run Dual Rank configuration.

If you have two Dual Rank sticks in Dual Channel then you run Dual Rank configuration.

If you have four Dual Rank sticks in Dual Channel then you run Quad Rank configuration.

For comparison, I have 4x16GB Dual Rank sticks (so Dual Channel in Quad Rank configuration). I get about 4GB/s to 5GB/s higher bandwidth on average (Aida64 memory benchmark) than 2x8GB Single Rank at the same speed and latency.

For example:

Both the Copy and Latency is whats most important for games.

this is a 3800MHz CL14 Samsung B-die in Dual Channel/Single Rank

image.png.c15dca04c6e62b80baa256c07ee15be5.png

This is my 3733MHz CL16 Micron E-die (lower clock, worse latency) 4x16GB Dual Channel/Quad Rank

image.png.63eddaf9aeac655ad51ac7288f2ee6ea.png