Subscription mania: Twitter exploring the usage of subscriptions

Summary

The subscription mania has been a thing for quite some time now with companies introducing all kinds of services with notable examples like Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass for games and Netflix as one of the frontrunners of the streaming services. Now, with Twitter seeing a little less income than a year before due to advertising boycotts and other possible factors, they are looking for more ways to gain more money. Recently when CEO Jack Dorsey was talking to investors, he said that Twitter was exploring additional ways to make more money from it’s users which includes the consideration of a subscription model. Dorsey did mention that tests are likely to happen this year of various approaches.

Quote CNN: 

"You will likely see some tests this year" of various approaches, Dorsey told analysts on an investor call held to discuss the company's second quarter earnings results. Dorsey said he has "a really high bar for when we would ask consumers to pay for aspects of Twitter," but confirmed that the company is seeking to diversify its sources of revenue in what are "very, very early phases of exploring."

Quote Windows Central: 

Twitter was one of many social media platforms hit by advertising boycotts during protests last month, noting that ad revenue fell 15% in the last three weeks of June alone. Twitter was rocked last week by a major security breach on its platform. Seemingly, hackers paid off Twitter employees to give them access to various accounts, using some high profile accounts to advertise a Bitcoin scam. According to Twitter, at least one elected official had their DMs accessed during the breach.

Personal opinion: It’s not new seeing more corporations looking for subscription methods to implement which tend to look more lucrative for some people, however I should mention that it does look worrying that a lot of companies are looking for these kinds of payment options, especially on large social media networks. Whether if this actually gets implemented, it's uncertain if it will be for existing features or for new ones. Time will tell eventually. 

Sources

https://www.windowscentral.com/twitter-exploring-subscription-option-improve-revenue-streams

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/23/tech/twitter-subscription-earnings/index.html

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

calling it now.

you will need a subscription to

1. send DMs to anyone.
  2. get a new badge that will replace the "verified tick"
  3. unlimited retweets (because they would be restricted to a certain amount each month)
  4. change your @ name more than x times a y
  5. follow people who have set their profile to "subscribers only"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Give me the @everyone

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I really doubt that's something people would want to pay for, but another stronger reason to boycott. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

30 minutes ago, Arika S said:

calling it now.

1. send DMs to anyone.
  3. unlimited retweets (because they would be restricted to a certain amount each month)

With the catastrophically terrible ways Twitter is ran, they should contract EA to turn it into a microtransaction mini-game system. It'll be less stupid that what will likely happen.

Twitters reputation is in tatters and a lot people now only go on the platform to keep up with drama. This seems like an odd time to try and get users to pay them.

My guess if they think they can allow users to set tweets to sub only and the drama brigade will then have to pay to access it. All I see happening is them alienating the people keeping them in business at all.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

YIKES

Imagined subbing for Twitter or any social media. It's already a cancerogenic cesspool among everything else. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

calling it now.

1. send DMs to anyone.
  6. upload large photos/videos/artwork
  7. edit tweets

Added 2 more :P

Absolutely hate that idea. I don't like the idea of making Twitter a paid service all of a sudden. I mainly use Twitter nowadays to keep up with sports, tech companies, the occasional celebrity, YouTuber, a whole variety of people, and I'm not sure I'd mind leaving if I'd had to pay for certain features.

7 hours ago, Arika S said:
  • send DMs to anyone.
  • get a new badge that will replace the "verified tick"
  • unlimited retweets (because they would be restricted to a certain amount each month)
  • change your @ name more than x times a y
  • follow people who have set their profile to "subscribers only"

I hate that this sound accurate to what a sub model would look like.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Twitter realized they have a huge man-child and woman-child problem, so now they plan to thin the horde through paid subscriptions.

Honestly, Facebook should do this, as well.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, Techstorm970 said:

Honestly, Facebook should do this, as well.

Facebook Gold was actually a meme in the late 2000s.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti