High quality 500w PSU safe?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
On 7/27/2020 at 3:41 PM, TofuHaroto said:

the psu will power it just fine. 

It's not enough... 

Is a high quality 500w Psu from be quiet safe for use with a r7 1800x and vega 64? It'd only be temporary till the prices for power supply are lower again, so non-oc or even slight underclock is fine for the short period

which "high quality" unit?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

brand, efficiency and wattage are not quality.

is it a pure power 11 500w?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

brand, efficiency and wattage are not quality.

is it a pure power 11 500w?

Yes

10 hours ago, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

Yes

the pure power 11 should be more than fine. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, Oswin said:

which "high quality" unit?

pure power 11 500w

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

the pure power 11 should be more than fine. 

by "more than fine" do you mean it would also work with overclocked cpu/gpu?

1 minute ago, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

by "more than fine" do you mean it would also work with overclocked cpu/gpu?

Yes.

do you mean it would also work with overclocked cpu/gpu?

the wattage is fine, and yes it should be enough. 

Build Log: 

Just now, nox_ said:

Yes.

Really? Be quiets own calculator says for this configuration overclocked you would need 650w. Or is that just extra high as a precaution?

Be quiets own calculator

wattage calculators are not right most if not all the time.

Build Log: 

Just now, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

Really? Be quiets own calculator says for this configuration overclocked you would need 650w. Or is that just extra high as a precaution?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-11.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64,5173-17.html

Just take a look at power consumption, no need to worry.

wattage calculators are not right most if not all the time.

And if something goes wrong the psu would protect other parts from being damaged and only kill itself, right?

Now now, while I agree that with most systems a suprisingly low wattage PSU can be enough, with Fury, Vega and similar class GPUs you have to think about the power spikes.

There are issues with Seasonic PSUs that have a precise over power protection circuit and shut off the system when such a spike occurs, even with a unit twice as powerful as yours.

I'm not saying it won't work, but that others here should do a bit more research and check the OPP limits on the Bequiet PSU and measured power spikes on a Vega 64 before going with the same old advice.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

And if something goes wrong

the psu has the proper protections. 

what do you mean by "goes wrong" exactly?  

Build Log: 

Just now, DJ46 said:

Now now, while I agree that with most systems a suprisingly low wattage PSU can be enough, with Fury, Vega and similar class GPUs you have to think about the power spikes.

There are issues with Seasonic PSUs that have a precise over power protection circuit and shut off the system when such a spike occurs, even with a unit twice as powerful as yours.

I'm not saying it won't work, but that others here should do a bit more research and check the OPP limits on the Bequiet PSU and measured power spikes on a Vega 64 before going with the same old advice.

According to the link nox send the power spike is only 380w for 50ms, so I guess it will work...

the psu has the proper protections. 

what do you mean by "goes wrong" exactly?  

If it does draw more power than the psu can handle

If it does draw more power than the psu can handle

then OPP protection will trigger and the psu will shut it self off. 

Build Log: 

then OPP protection will trigger and the psu will shut it self off. 

And that sudden power loss wont damage the pc?

nope for the most part.

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

You could lose some data if you're unlucky, but if you don't have an important and unsaved document open while gaming the risk is minimal.

Your PSU does seem to have the required OPP headroom, but I have to wonder how the 12V rails are setup and which connectors are on which rail. One goes up to 336W and the other to 240W, so if both GPU power connectors run from one rail there could be an issue.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

the 1800x can draw up to 140W under extreme load.

the vega 64, up to 300W.

the rest of your system- no more than 50W

So in total you're looking at 500W max under torture load (prime 95 + Furmark)

(accidental post)

On 7/24/2020 at 1:13 PM, nox_ said:

Sorry for reviving this thread a few days later, but I just wanted to ask if it makes a difference which Vega 64 I'm using or if they all have the same power draw. My vega 64 is a sapphire nitro+ (the original version of this even came with 3x8pin power) and Im not sure if the link you send applies to this aswell. 

My vega 64 is a sapphire nitro+ (the original version of this even came with 3x8pin power) and Im not sure if the link you send applies to this aswell. 

the psu will power it just fine. 

Build Log: