why air conditioning comsumes so much power?

dfsgsfa

basic mech is just a pump and a fan , what else use so much power?

2 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

What type of air-conditioning are we talking about? There are several different kinds. The more efficient ones are the dual-type systems that are split into one indoors- and one outdoors-part.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

f air-conditioning are we talking about

just general household types

12 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

what else use so much power?

Nothing since there's nothing else.

But the "pump" (compressor) needs to be fed with about 1/3rd the energy it transfers across. Since there's a lot of energy to transfer across, it needs quite a bit of power.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, dfsgsfa said:

just general household types

Like I said, there are multiple different kinds and there are a lot of people that use single-box designs, for example, which are a whole lot less efficient.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

people that use single-box designs, for example, which are a whole lot less efficient.

single box isnt efficient? why?

it should be most simple in design

Because unless you add ducting to make them take their cooling air from outside like I do they take it from inside, which means that same amount of air needs to enter the room from outside again - which is usually warm and what you're trying to fight in the first place.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2436427

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

fan and pump isnt air conditioning. it is a cooler than can only go to ambient temperature.

Air conditioning needs a compressor and cooling fluid that has the correct boiling temp and heat transfer capability this can go under ambient and works like your refrigerator.

this is also why it draws out the moisture in the air because when you go under ambient less water can be in the air and water also goes to the coldest surface.

this is a very crude explanation but its easy to find more info on the subject. this video explains it pretty good.

Just now, dfsgsfa said:

single box isnt efficient? why?

it should be most simple in design

Here's a video that explains the issue with single-box designs pretty well and, while the video talks about portable units, the same design-issue applies to non-portable, single-box designs as well:

3 minutes ago, Ajukrezi said:

fan and pump isnt air conditioning. it is a cooler than can only go to ambient temperature.

Air conditioning needs a compressor and cooling fluid

The compressor assembly is commonly called "heat pump", that's what was referred to.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

The compressor assembly is commonly called "heat pump", that's what was referred to.

nope

its called air conditioning. also it the same when your car has A/C.
heat pump is also a air conditioner but has the possible to invert the flow, and therefor producing heat. but there are plenty air conditioners that cannot produce heat.

TBH the terms for it might be different in america but in europe at least that the terms. 

Heat pump is just that - something that can move heat against the natural flow. The fact that most people mostly see the term associated with the common appliance you use for building heating/cooling (becasue it uses a heat pump) doesn't mean a portable AC isn't one. A fridge is also using one. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Heat pump is just that - something that can move heat against the natural flow. The fact that most people mostly see the term associated with the common appliance you use for building heating/cooling (becasue it uses a heat pump) doesn't mean a portable AC isn't one. A fridge is also using one. 

well as said the terms for it might be different but that is the definition here.

the portable AC is also using that principle..

but AC or air condtioning is the principle that i showed in the video above. that unit shown is a heat pump yes..
but if a car has AC is has that what i showed in the video. so cooling that can go sub ambient. 

heat pump here in denmark is the term used for the appliance... Air conditioning is used for the term to cool air sub ambient.
also the term HVAC (Heating Ventilation Air Condition). so the term Air condition is the cooling of air to sub ambient.

and yes there is alot of appliance naming that used terms for it,, the same back in the days for Ipods for all mp3 players etc.
but i do think we agree on all functions, its only the terminology that confuses due to appliance naming.

28 minutes ago, Ajukrezi said:

nope

Yep.

"Heat pump" is a physics term referring to a device that moves heat against natural flow, an AC unit is a heat pump. It doesn't even have to be a compressor based system; a thermoelectric element is also considered a heat pump.

14 minutes ago, Ajukrezi said:

heat pump here in denmark is the term used for the appliance... Air conditioning is used for the term to cool air sub ambient.
also the term HVAC (Heating Ventilation Air Condition). so the term Air condition is the cooling of air to sub ambient.

In most languages that I know, heat pump has two meanings; 

- a heating system that can be reversed (consumer language)

- a device that moves heat against natural flow (technical language)

This is at the very least the case in English, Dutch and German and I bet in Danish too. 

56 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

The efficiency of one of these things is often expressed as a so called COP (coefficient of performance), which is a number that indicates how much heat is moved per unit of energy consumed. A COP of 1 would mean for every joule of energy used you move 1 joule of heat, a COP of 7 would mean for every joule of energy used you move 7 joules of heat. A typical AC has a COP of 3-4 meaning you need 33-25% as much energy as the heat you want to move. So if you want to move 4000 joules per second from the room (4kW) with a COP of 4 you need to supply the AC unit with 1kW of power.

56 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

But the "pump" (compressor) needs to be fed with about 1/3rd the energy it transfers across. Since there's a lot of energy to transfer across, it needs quite a bit of power.

So exactly this :)

@akio123008 i think you are hitting it spot on.

which means @Kilrah is also right.

just me that got Kilrahs statement a bit upside down in my head :).