Gpu question

GeneralGusher

Hey I was just wondering what is a difference between say a gpu with 2gb and the same gpu with 4 gb?

4 minutes ago, GeneralGusher said:

Hey I was just wondering what is a difference between say a gpu with 2gb and the same gpu with 4 gb?

Larger/more complex texture capacity, IIRC.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

The 4GB one has 2GB of extra VRAM to store things like textures in it. If you run out of VRAM, some stuff will get dumped to make way for new textures. That can cause things like textures popping in and out, or just tank your frame rate.

There's no standard amount of VRAM you need, because how much you use depends on the game and what graphics settings you choose. Usually the amount a card comes with is good for what graphics you can reasonably achieve with it.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, GeneralGusher said:

If your looking for a new card, 6GB is pretty much the minimum in 2020 because im sure that if you are looking for a new card you would want it to be good for a couple of years so it would be able to run newer games that you find interesting so you would not need to look for a new one that early.

But 4GB is really better then 2GB.

2GB of vram is not enough to hold even basic titles at high quality or high res like gta v and similar games.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

13 minutes ago, GeneralGusher said:

say a gpu with 2gb and the same gpu with 4 gb?

4 gigs basically will store / render more textures etc. 

And you won't start page filing to the ram as quickly or ever depending on the workload compared to 2 gigs.

2 gigs is just to small of a frame buffer. I would argue 4 is as well depending on your workload. But avoid 2 gig cards. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

A GPU's VRAM is used to store the frame buffer, 3D data (e.g. vertices) and textures. Basically anything the GPU needs to render an image every frame.

Most of it will be used for textures. So depending on how much VRAM you have, the number of (high resolution) textures it can store is limited by that.

If you don't have enough you may not be able to select higher texture quality. For example in Doom 2016 you can only select the highest detail level with 8 GB of VRAM. It can also affect performance, since the game may need to swap out or reload textures if they don't fit completely into VRAM.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

26 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

A GPU's VRAM is used to store the frame buffer, 3D data (e.g. vertices) and textures. Basically anything the GPU needs to render an image every frame.

Most of it will be used for textures. So depending on how much VRAM you have, the number of (high resolution) textures it can store is limited by that.

If you don't have enough you may not be able to select higher texture quality. For example in Doom 2016 you can only select the highest detail level with 8 GB of VRAM. It can also affect performance, since the game may need to swap out or reload textures if they don't fit completely into VRAM.

29 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

4 gigs basically will store / render more textures etc. 

And you won't start page filing to the ram as quickly or ever depending on the workload compared to 2 gigs.

2 gigs is just to small of a frame buffer. I would argue 4 is as well depending on your workload. But avoid 2 gig cards. 

34 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

If your looking for a new card, 6GB is pretty much the minimum in 2020 because im sure that if you are looking for a new card you would want it to be good for a couple of years so it would be able to run newer games that you find interesting so you would not need to look for a new one that early.

But 4GB is really better then 2GB.

2GB of vram is not enough to hold even basic titles at high quality or high res like gta v and similar games.

39 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The 4GB one has 2GB of extra VRAM to store things like textures in it. If you run out of VRAM, some stuff will get dumped to make way for new textures. That can cause things like textures popping in and out, or just tank your frame rate.

There's no standard amount of VRAM you need, because how much you use depends on the game and what graphics settings you choose. Usually the amount a card comes with is good for what graphics you can reasonably achieve with it.

40 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Larger/more complex texture capacity, IIRC.

Ok. Thanks guys. I’ll keep this in mind when I get my new gpu because o have a 2gb rn

12 minutes ago, GeneralGusher said:

Ok. Thanks guys. I’ll keep this in mind when I get my new gpu because o have a 2gb rn

2gb and 6gb or above is a night and day difference.

you cant even compare those difference.

its like buying a second hand 2008 civic vs buying a brand new 2020 lamborghini huracan evo.

YES, ITS THAT DIFFERENT.

i suggest you save for a 6GB+ gpu

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

10 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

2gb and 6gb or above is a night and day difference

They are but not because of the VRAM. This is kind of a silly misconception. If you added some extra VRAM or a 750 Ti for example, that really wouldn't make it any faster. The VRAM is only going to be a problem when you're already running into other issues.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They are but not because of the VRAM. This is kind of a silly misconception. If you added some extra VRAM or a 750 Ti for example, that really wouldn't make it any faster. The VRAM is only going to be a problem when you're already running into other issues.

of course its not only about vram.

but this is basically what he asked.

i wont say my rtx 2080 is better then my old gtx 650 just because he has 8GB vram compared to 2GB

it has more cuda cores,a better processor, capable of higher clocks, faster memory, higher bandwidth, more transistors, better architecture, better cache, it has tensor cores and rt core which the 650 doesn't have it has a lot more shading units and theres more and more to cover.

i know that vram is not the most important thing dude.

he just asked about vram so i gave him the basic :)

cant really compare a 2012 mid range gpu to a 2018 flagship gpu ;)