Best motheboard for these requirements?

Hey everyone,

I made a similar post about this yesterday, but I've refined my question, so hopefully this will be a more straightforward and easy thing to answer.

Basically, I want a Mini-ITX motherboard for a Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, with a max memory of 64GB or larger. It needs to have at least 2 m.2 m-key slots, and it needs to have enough headers to support my case's USB-C, Headphone jack, and USB-A. USB-C headers (or usb 3.2 gen 2) on mini-itx motherboards seem really rare, so this narrows down the list a lot.

Also, as far as the ports that I actually use on my computer, obviously I use 2 DP cables out of the graphics card for each of my monitors, but as far as the motherboard, I use: An ethernet cable, 1 USB-A port for my mouse dongle, 1 USB-A for my keyboard dongle, 1 USB-A for my microphone, and occasionally I need to plug in a USB-A drive or whatever, but that's obviously not a permanent thing. Likewise, I occasionally need to charge my headphones with a USB-A port, but again that's pretty quick.

It would also be nice if the board had good WiFi in case there were times when I didn't have ethernet available.

Finally, I need at least 2 sata 6gb headers but that's really easy to find on almost every motherboard.

So yeah, what suggestions do you all have?

i think the only board that i can think of at least that might support everything that your looking for is the asus crosshair 8 impact but its a mini dtx board meaning its slightly longer then mini itx but still smaller then micro atx

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Impact/

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

Yep. It’s easier alright.  I’m strongly suspecting you are SOL.

miniITX has only two memory slots.  All miniITX won’t do it at all without 32gb ram sticks.  For a 3950 you need x570 or b550.  Some b550 have  a 3.2 gen2 header.  If they do they will have only one on the back.

i would suggest looking at the most expensive models and see if they even have what you want.  They still probably won’t though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

i think the only board that i can think of at least that might support everything that your looking for is the asus crosshair 8 impact but its a mini dtx board meaning its slightly longer then mini itx but still smaller then micro atx

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Impact/

My case doesn't support mini-dtx, according to their website. How is this board? Will it work with me needs and be a good overall board? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XBH8TW/asus-rog-strix-b550-i-gaming-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-rog-strix-b550-i-gaming

46 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep. It’s easier alright.  I’m strongly suspecting you are SOL.

miniITX has only two memory slots.  All miniITX won’t do it at all without 32gb ram sticks.  For a 3950 you need x570 or b550.  Some b550 have  a 3.2 gen2 header.  If they do they will have only one on the back.

i would suggest looking at the most expensive models and see if they even have what you want.  They still probably won’t though.

I found one model that seemed to meet all of my requirements, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XBH8TW/asus-rog-strix-b550-i-gaming-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-rog-strix-b550-i-gaming . Is this good and will it be able to do everything I want well, or should I pick up a different board?

7 minutes ago, Duranson said:

I found one model that seemed to meet all of my requirements, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XBH8TW/asus-rog-strix-b550-i-gaming-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-rog-strix-b550-i-gaming . Is this good and will it be able to do everything I want well, or should I pick up a different board?

Looks like it will.  That memory is going to be pricey.  Iirc the b550 itx strix is an ok board.  B550 seems to be highly thought of though there are complaints about its high price. I could be wrong about the quality though.  There should be reviews of it. You may want to read a few.

From what I can see it ticks your boxes.  I don’t anticipate another board that will to be all that much cheaper.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That's a nice board. 

Great, and you think it will be fine with a Ryzen 9 3950x?

9 hours ago, Duranson said:

Great, and you think it will be fine with a Ryzen 9 3950x?

Yes. 8+2 power phase will handle it no problem.

9 hours ago, Duranson said:

Great

If it can handle a 3900x ( which it can) it will handle a 3950x. Current output is very similar between these two chips. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

The X570-I (at least at MSRP) is only $20 more than the B550-I, and I'd argue it's more than worth that small difference, even if it's just for the VRM.

The B550-I has a 4 phase VRM with 45/50A DrMOS power stages, whereas the X570-I has the same power delivery as on the Crosshair VIII Impact, which is on 70A smart power stages.

Considering this will likely be in a cramped ITX case, I'd spend the extra $20 for the better power delivery. Not to say that the B550-I won't handle a 3950X, but when overclocked/PBO especially it will most likely put out more heat than the X570-I would.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

13 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The B550-I has a 4 phase VRM with 45/50A DrMOS power stages

Correct me if I'm wrong but the I uses 4 phase 50A with doublers afaik.  ( I forgot which it could be 6617's but I could be wrong.)

Edit. 

I just double checked and it looks like it doesn't. So my bad lol. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the I uses 4 phase 50A with doublers afaik.  ( I forgot which it could be 6617's but I could be wrong.)

ASUS doesn't use doublers. They do have some weird phase counts because of the lower-end controllers that they use if I'm not mistaken, though they still have some very solid VRMs despite this, on their higher-end boards especially.

Either way, the power delivery on the B550-I will run a 3950X but will put out more heat compared to the X570-I, probably not by an amount that will affect other components in the case by a significant margin but still.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

ASUS doesn't use doublers

I edited my post. I was wrong. My bad. 

Build Log: