Everytime I press my start button, my PC hangs, then I reset it and it works fine...why does AMD have to be like this?

Ryzen 9 3900x....every, single, time.  I turn the machine off, I turn it on again in the morning...nope.  Not this time, try again sucker.

Fine, I press reset, it works absolutely fine.

I never had this problem using intel, press the power button, have a PC that works (or don't and diagnose the problem) but never turn it on and nope, do you work in IT? Do you like to hear the words "turn it off and back on again"? because that is what you are hearing in your head right now as you reach for the reset button isn't it?

Is it the memory? Is it that you are OC'ing it to 3600, even though it says 3600 on the memory itself? Is that what causes it?

It is really irritating.

1st off: Why are you blaming the cpu? And more importantly, the manufacturer?

2nd: What have you tried for troubleshooting thus far?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

5 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

OC'ing

> Memory training issues.

Yes. You are OC'ing. Max spec for a 3900X is 3200 MT/s. Most can do 3600 with the right kit. Manually tune your timings so it doesn't have to work as hard training up the DIMM's, or drop that speed down a bit.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

How did you set your ram to 3600? did you enable DOCP or did you just change the timing to 3600?

If it doesn't turn on at all, is the power button broken?

In my experience, when memory is oc'ed (even to it's spec 3200) it will refuse to boot/not POST. 

Try getting rid of the memory OC, and see if that fixes it. If it does, make sure the Infinity Fabric is set to a stable speed (it should be fine at 1800mhz)

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

22 hours ago, Slottr said:

1st off: Why are you blaming the cpu? And more importantly, the manufacturer?

2nd: What have you tried for troubleshooting thus far?

1, Because this is common, like memory lane failures because the CPU is not down tight enough, or LTT putting in a CPU for his gaming rig in the last video and it not working.  Why would I blame corsair on the RAM or PSU, when no one has a problem with them? Why would I blame Nvidia for the GPU when rarely does anyone have a problem with them?

Why wouldn't I blame the part that litters the internet with its problems?

2, Everything is brand new, and works just fine.  It is just posting from cold that is the problem and pressing the reset button is an instant fix.  The bios IS at default except for DOHP or whatever it is called, there is currently no overclock on the system, the bios is upto date.

22 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Yes. You are OC'ing. Max spec for a 3900X is 3200 MT/s.

Yet the entire system is built around an infinity fabric that runs best at 1800mhz, and requires 3600 DDR memory for a 1:1 ratio - which is recommended?

It is like selling a car that and rrcommending you use 98 super unleaded, but only supporting 90 unleaded.  It don't make sense.  If that is the problem, fine I can live with pressing two buttons to boot.

But that is the CPUs fault, that is the CPUs problem.

22 hours ago, Sorenson said:

did you enable DOCP

Yes

21 hours ago, piratemonkey said:

If it doesn't turn on at all, is the power button broken?

In my experience, when memory is oc'ed (even to it's spec 3200) it will refuse to boot/not POST. 

Try getting rid of the memory OC, and see if that fixes it. If it does, make sure the Infinity Fabric is set to a stable speed (it should be fine at 1800mhz)

It turns on, pauses, gets stuck, you press the reset button and everything works fine.

I am not going to take off the overclock to 3600, because that is a 1:1 with the 1800 mhz IF.  I will live with it if necessary.

Just pointing out, never had this issue with Intel, I would press the power button, my pc would work - and yes, I had OC'd memory in that system too.

24 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Yes

Overclock it manually. In my experience it's much more stable.

25 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

It turns on, pauses, gets stuck, you press the reset button and everything works fine.

Besides everything working fine (unless it boots into BIOS safe mode), that's how every bad memory overclock has gone for me. 

If you refuse to try a troubleshooting step, there's not much me (or others) can help you with

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

1 minute ago, piratemonkey said:

Overclock it manually. In my experience it's much more stable.

Besides everything working fine (unless it boots into BIOS safe mode), that's how every bad memory overclock has gone for me. 

If you refuse to try a troubleshooting step, there's not much me (or others) can help you with

I already guessed it was the memory, but it is a minor issue that isn't worth digging around to try and fix.

Just pointing out, this is an AMD annoyance.  The IF is 1800, it is recommended that you run 3600 for a 1:1 ratio, you do, using the stock XMP/DOCP on the motherboard and when you do, you get problems.

If I had set it up manually, tinkered with it myself, to get it where it was...then yeah sure, that isn't AMDs fault.

I bought RAM rated for 3600, I used the XMP/DOCP that is on the board, and I have problems.

There is one door that problem falls at, and that is AMD's door.

If it was just me, then sure, who knows, but it isn't just me, some people can't even get 3600 to work at all.  It is a ridiculous crapshot of how lucky you are to get the most out of your CPU based on the IF.

1 minute ago, Dravinian said:

Just pointing out, this is an AMD annoyance.  The IF is 1800, it is recommended that you run 3600 for a 1:1 ratio, you do, using the stock XMP/DOCP on the motherboard and when you do, you get problems.

XMP (Intel's memory pre overclock) can be just as bad. Nearly everyone recommends that you overclock memory manually. Just copy the DOCP settings (voltage, frequency, timings) and you should be fine. 

8 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

It is a ridiculous crapshot of how lucky you are to get the most out of your CPU based on the IF.

That's how Ryzen and silicone lottery works bud

Just now, piratemonkey said:

XMP (Intel's memory pre overclock) can be just as bad. Nearly everyone recommends that you overclock memory manually. Just copy the DOCP settings (voltage, frequency, timings) and you should be fine. 

That's how Ryzen and silicone lottery works bud

I will look into it next time I reboot, I mean, I just don't want to shut down to do it now.

I also want to put back in place my memory overclock on timings which went for a burton when I updated the bios - though that was a good update, it pushed the CPU to be as good as it was with the overclock I had running on it, nice revision.

I will look at doing it manually tomorrow when I reboot in the morning, and if it works I will let you know.  Cheers.

46 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

It is like selling a car that and rrcommending you use 98 super unleaded, but only supporting 90 unleaded.

Point to me one place AMD recommends 3600 MT/s? This isn't even an accurate analogy. This is the equivalent of buying a car based on everyone saying it'll do 150, but the manufacturer says 120.

50 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Yet the entire system is built around an infinity fabric that runs best at 1800mhz, and requires 3600 DDR memory for a 1:1 ratio

It will run 1:1:1 at under 3600 MT/s. Dropping the uncore down is what allows the memory controller to achieve even higher speeds. Again, completely out of spec. Certain motherboards can still force a 1:1 ratio, if you really must have it.

My entire point here, is that if your system operates normally at 3200 MT/s, It is operating within spec, and is not faulty. AMD doesn't advertise speeds over 3200 MT/s, AFAIK.

Also, try disabling fast startup, if you're using Windows 10. Windows does silly stuff when it's "shutdown"

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

16 hours ago, Dravinian said:

I already guessed it was the memory, but it is a minor issue that isn't worth digging around to try and fix.

If I had set it up manually, tinkered with it myself, to get it where it was...then yeah sure, that isn't AMDs fault.

I bought RAM rated for 3600, I used the XMP/DOCP that is on the board, and I have problems.

There is one door that problem falls at, and that is AMD's door.

If it was just me, then sure, who knows, but it isn't just me, some people can't even get 3600 to work at all.  It is a ridiculous crapshot of how lucky you are to get the most out of your CPU based on the IF.

You’re kind of crapping on AMD when you’re probably using ram that is optimized for XMP. I’ve had issues on intel where my computer was buggy AF from the RAM, and was fixed by swapping to XMP2. If you don’t want issues you should get the RAM that is “compatible with ryzen” or manually overclock it.

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

You’re kind of crapping on AMD when you’re probably using ram that is optimized for XMP. I’ve had issues on intel where my computer was buggy AF from the RAM, and was fixed by swapping to XMP2. If you don’t want issues you should get the RAM that is “compatible with ryzen” or manually overclock it.

Now that was worth looking into, took awhile, but yes, apparently the RAM I have is neither on the QVL list or on the AMD compatible list....great.

It could also be the motherboard vendor's fault.  Are you on the latest BIOS for your board?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

9 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Now that was worth looking into, took awhile, but yes, apparently the RAM I have is neither on the QVL list or on the AMD compatible list....great.

you should grab Dram calculator for ryzen https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ and follow hardware unboxed's video on how to use it. I hope this helps. 

On 7/9/2020 at 5:44 PM, Dravinian said:

Ryzen 9 3900x....every, single, time.  I turn the machine off, I turn it on again in the morning...nope.  Not this time, try again sucker.

I never had this problem using intel, press the power button, have a PC that works (or don't and diagnose the problem) but never turn it on and nope, do you work in IT? Do you like to hear the words "turn it off and back on again"? because that is what you are hearing in your head right now as you reach for the reset button isn't it?

Is it the memory? Is it that you are OC'ing it to 3600, even though it says 3600 on the memory itself? Is that what causes it?

It is really irritating.

it's more likely to happen on zen builds but this is on the motherboard, i'd update to the latest bios, if nothing else works, just...don't turn ur pc off i guess, better than spamming that reset button everyday.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, xg32 said:

it's more likely to happen on zen builds but this is on the motherboard, i'd update to the latest bios, if nothing else works, just...don't turn ur pc off i guess, better than spamming that reset button everyday.

Bios is updated, actually was a good bios update helped the CPU run a lot better, this was after De8auer pointed out that no-one was getting their advertised speeds and a new update was released, from memory it was to do with AGESA? or something, whatever it was it helped the system run a lot better.

The weird thing is, if I do a restart, I don't have a problem.  It is just a cold start that really causes an issue.

But yes, luckily, I rarely turn the PC off, because I usually have it doing something in the background over night.

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

you should grab Dram calculator for ryzen https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ and follow hardware unboxed's video on how to use it. I hope this helps. 

I did this once before awhile back, before the bios update, and got the timings a little tighter.

I have actually written to the company who built it asking why they installed RAM that is not on the QVL or on the AMD compatibility list...I am not expecting much but it will be interesting to see what they have to say for themselves...these are the same people that put the RAM In Slot 1 and 2, when the Motherboard manual specifically sets out 1 and 3 (like almost every motherboard on the consumer market).   That was an easy fix, but this could be a ball ache to fix.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:44 PM, Dravinian said:

It is really irritating.

When I cold boot my Intel the board shuts off and starts up 3 times and goes into windows just fine. 

I'm not sure if it's normal, we figured its memory training or something. 

It's annoying as hell so I post my Ryzen machine and it works just fine. 

Shrugs. Even my car has quirks....