Powerline adapter causing CAFCI breakers to trip.

YuppityYap

I've noticed that recently my NEATGEAR 2000mbps powerline adapters have been causing my CAFCI breakers to trip after around 5-6 hours of use. I've tried to return them and I even got some TP LINK ones on amazon- same result. I'm just wondering if there is anyway to fix this except for going for the traditional ethernet cable running throughout my house?

If you have coax run through your house you can use Moca 2.0 adapters. I’ve been using them for 3 weeks now without issue and had a rock steady connection throughout my house. They are pricey, but way better than power line.

If you do grab them make sure you have a coat splitter that supports the full frequency range. Also i’ve seen the occasional person complain that they had to workaround it for cable tv/ caller ID on the tv. that was not the majority of people though. 

26 minutes ago, YuppityYap said:

I've noticed that recently my NEATGEAR 2000mbps powerline adapters have been causing my CAFCI breakers to trip after around 5-6 hours of use. I've tried to return them and I even got some TP LINK ones on amazon- same result. I'm just wondering if there is anyway to fix this except for going for the traditional ethernet cable running throughout my house?

This is the first time I have heard of this happening.

My best advice is to contact Netgear and explain the issue. 

Honestly I cannot think of a reason this could be happening, I'm stumped.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I could understand Powerline AV2 devices (which is anything faster than 500Mbps IIRC) causing GFCI outlets or RCD breakers to trop, because AV2 includes the use of the ground wire for communication, but I don’t immediately see why that would trip a CAFCI breaker. 

I would say either try a much slower powerline kit (like 200Mbps or 400Mbps) or if you have Coax available use a MoCA 2.5 adaptor like the GoCoax MoCA. MoCA 2.5 is a huge improvement over MoCA 2.0, and generally more widely available.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

13 hours ago, Sorenson said:

If you have coax run through your house you can use Moca 2.0 adapters. I’ve been using them for 3 weeks now without issue and had a rock steady connection throughout my house. They are pricey, but way better than power line.

If you do grab them make sure you have a coat splitter that supports the full frequency range. Also i’ve seen the occasional person complain that they had to workaround it for cable tv/ caller ID on the tv. that was not the majority of people though. 

I guess I'll have to start saving for the coax moca 2.0 adapter then. I've seen them online before and they seem pretty good, but sadly I'll have to go back to my subpar wifi connection until I can afford them.

8 hours ago, brwainer said:

I could understand Powerline AV2 devices (which is anything faster than 500Mbps IIRC) causing GFCI outlets or RCD breakers to trop, because AV2 includes the use of the ground wire for communication, but I don’t immediately see why that would trip a CAFCI breaker. 

I would say either try a much slower powerline kit (like 200Mbps or 400Mbps) or if you have Coax available use a MoCA 2.5 adaptor like the GoCoax MoCA. MoCA 2.5 is a huge improvement over MoCA 2.0, and generally more widely available.

Isn’t there a concern that Moca 2.5 will interfere with DOCSIS 3.1? MOCA 2.0 supports theoretical speeds up to 1 gigabit. For most people on a ~100-300 megabit connection there’s no real point in upgrading IMO.

Just now, Sorenson said:

Isn’t there a concern that Moca 2.5 will interfere with DOCSIS 3.1? MOCA 2.0 supports theoretical speeds up to 1 gigabit. For most people on a ~100-300 megabit connection there’s no real point in upgrading IMO.

Could I get a link please? I cant find it

6 minutes ago, YuppityYap said:

Could I get a link please? I cant find it

The person who pointed me towards MOCA mentioned it was a theoretical problem. According to the manufacturer’s website of a Moca 2.5 device it can coexist with docsis 3.1. You can also change the extended bands it’s operating on so I wouldn’t be too worried.

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

Moca 2.0 uses 1Ghz to 1.5 Ghz, Im pretty sure Moca 2.5 uses the same, its just that Moca 2.0 does channel bonding with 2 channels and Moca 2.5 does 3 to 5 channels. Technically speaking at least the Actiontek Moca 2.5 adapters support all lower Moca standards. 

ALSO most cable providers still don't use over 1 Ghz, even with Docsis 3.1 service. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

MoCA 1.0 overlapped in frequencies with DOCSIS. MoCA 2.0 and 2.5 use higher frequencies that aren't used by DOCSIS. DOCSIS (and cable TV in general) is limited to 1GHz because that's the most that can be used for long distance coax runs. When you're within the lengths of a single house you can use up to 2GHz. Actually MoCA has more in conflict with Satellite TV than anything from a cable provider, because satellite TV uses frequencies around 2GHz.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: