Steam Family Sharing to all.

digitalnav

Valve has opened up Steam Family Sharing to all.

Share your computer?
Now share your games too.

Steam Family Library Sharing allows family members and their guests to play one another's games while earning their own Steam achievements and saving their own game progress to the Steam Cloud. It's all enabled by authorizing shared computers and users.

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

DS Article: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/steam-family-sharing-share-your-steam-library-with-friends-and-family-idnum183/

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Is not that nice unless you have multiple accounts with games spread across them because:

CAN TWO USERS SHARE A LIBRARY AND BOTH PLAY AT THE SAME TIME?

No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

If you (like me, and I'm sure many others) have most of your games on a single account, sharing would mean that you can't play any of the games on your account while the other person is playing so it's moot.

-------

Current Rig

-------

WHAT? THAT'S AWESOME!

10 people, 5 can use my Steam library at a time. That's more people than I thought.

Not at a time, only 1 at a time read my post. 5 can be activated but if anyone uses it it's blocked for all others.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yay, now peseants can't say we can't share games on PC

I wish people would stop saying things like this. It's gotten to the point now where even if it's intended to be humorous it fails to be. Plus frankly it's boring.

On topic - awesome. Nice to finally have it. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Is it just me,  am I the only one that thinks Steam needs to improve the service? Mainly, how many users can play a game on one Library at a time. Come on, only 1 person can use a Library at a time. Whats the point in sharing the damn game then? They should have made it at least 2 people can share a library at one time, and I would have been happy. But this just doesn't make any sense to me. I know I won't be using this service at all.

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

Is not that nice unless you have multiple accounts with games spread across them because:

If you (like me, and I'm sure many others) have most of your games on a single account, sharing would mean that you can't play any of the games on your account while the other person is playing so it's moot.

You need to read better. The account holder (The sharer) takes priority. If you access your library, they are given a few minutes to buy the game or quit. And they can't boot you offline if you're playing. It will simply be "unavailable" to them.

But i partially realize what you're saying. Can't play together, which sucks, but after all, you paid for a single license, the fact that others can play your games at all is a pretty awesome thing.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Good, but without the ability to sell my Steam purchased games, valve are still just sort of being back in my 'Epic' books!

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

You need to read better. The account holder (The sharer) takes priority. If you access your library, they are given a few minutes to buy the game or quit. And they can't boot you offline if you're playing. It will simply be "unavailable" to them.

But i partially realize what you're saying. Can't play together, which sucks, but after all, you paid for a single license, the fact that others can play your games at all is a pretty awesome thing.

So then why not allow them to play the games you aren't playing?

I can play CS:GO while someone plays Half Life. 

It still means if I let someone use games on my account they will rarely be able to use em since I would be playing something. And this is also true if you ask for someone else's game: it will be difficult to find available time to play it. You'd have to befriend people on radically different time zones and things like that.

And I agree that it's a good thing, certainly better than the alternative for digital games which is nothing (except for gog.com of course). Yet people get too exited as you can see in this thread thinking they will be able to just play lots of game from others without issue, it's not that simple.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So then why not allow them to play the games you aren't playing?

I can play CS:GO while someone plays Half Life. 

Not possible, check what valve said this works on an account level: If I am using my library (meaning any game on my steam collection) nobody else can use it at the same time even if it's for different games. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Very Cool

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I understand not being able to play the same game, but why is their entire library unavailable if they are playing a game? That doesn't make much sense, if they are playing Assassin's Creed and I want to play one of their other games like Dark Souls, why can't I do that while they play a completely different game, and why aren't those other games open to all five PC's with sharing enabled?

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

It still means if I let someone use games on my account they will rarely be able to use em since I would be playing something. And this is also true if you ask for someone else's game: it will be difficult to find available time to play it. You'd have to befriend people on radically different time zones and things like that.

And I agree that it's a good thing, certainly better than the alternative for digital games which is nothing (except for gog.com of course). Yet people get too exited as you can see in this thread thinking they will be able to just play lots of game from others without issue, it's not that simple.

I agree. The way I would have liked it, is if they allowed access to games simultaneously, just not the same game.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Not possible, check what valve said this works on an account level: If I am using my library (meaning any game on my steam collection) nobody else can use it at the same time even if it's for different games. 

No, I was giving a suggestion and an example.

To me, it's my account, I pay for a license for each game, right? So why can't I play CS:GO while a friend uses my license for Half Life or Super Hexagon?

Okay so in the dark days of discs how many people could legally (without creating ISOs) play from the same disk at the same time? Although I think Valve should have made it game dependent instead of library dependent...

Okay so in the dark days of discs how many people could legally (without creating ISOs) play from the same disk at the same time?

A more fair comparison would be if I could lend someone my game disc (PC game or console game) or trade in for the weekend without losing access to all of my other games since I didn't lend all those other discs.

It would be fair to choose "I want to lend this game(s) out" and voluntarily loose the ability to play with that license so that someone else can use it but not simultaneously since I still have lots of other games. But to say "If they want to play a game you lend, even if it's just one, you can't be using any of your other 100 titles otherwise they won't have access" drastically reduces the usability of the feature.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Because of the fact that I share a library, rather than a title, it deters me from using this feature at all. If it becomes "I play X while he plays Y from the same library," I'll be happy.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Because of the fact that I share a library, rather than a title, it deters me from using this feature at all. If it becomes "I play X while he plays Y from the same library," I'll be happy.

Let's be fair, when you give a game to your friend, do you give him a single disc, or your entire library?

Lol. "Hey friend, I'd love to give you a game, but the only way I can give it to you is if I also give you 156 other games. So just know that I thought of you."

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Hey, it's better than what we had previously, so this is still a positive move in my book.

If I were to share my library with somebody else, my Steam account would need to be online for them to access it, correct? 

Is it true that to set this up, you need to go to your friend's house (or other family member's computer) & log in with your account, to authorise their machine? You can't just pick their name from your friends list, or whatever? 

Because, that's a bit ridiculous. I mean, I can't figure out any other way to get it working, & according to a few websites I've been on, that does appear to be the case. Why do we have to do that?! Sure, it could be simpler for us to just give our friends our login details but....
1 - Why wouldn't we have just done that in the past? If that's what we have to do, we might as well just not have family sharing.
2 - I'm fairly sure it's against the Steam TOS to give out private account details.