Do Water cooling justice!

Jamil

and again Linus completely fails to explain what water cooling is and why its used, and uses misleading research and results to give the impression that water cooling is bad.

there's 2 things to water cooling. "series vs parallel" this refers to how the loop is setup

"Location" this refers to were you have your fans and radiator

in more detail: when water cooling what you'r trying to do is 2 things, A: MOVE heat away from the computer, and B: dissipate that heat in a timely manner at an optimal location.

firstly if you just need to cool normally, a normal computer then by any means use 1 water radiator or just radiator with fans.(even in that setup water is better, especially for gaming were hardware is not always working at 100%, meaning the temperature is stabilized, and fans can then work much better at dissipating the heat instead of regular radiator without water)

but lets say you are crazy enough to want OPTIMAL cooling, then you'd need to A: use long pipes that lead the cooling either outside or for those that live on the sun, in a cooling room.

secondly, dont make a fucking pipe and put each radiator in front of each other, put them in a grid next to each other so fans can work together.

and regardless of setup, water is always slightly better, but yes, setup matters but whoever wrote this episode(i apologize for being angry) is a fucking moron for not outlining this very clearly.

i want to see an episode were this is utilized to some extreme extend, or at least prove me wrong, because you cant.

When did he say watercooling was bad?

All I remember I’m him saying is that Air Cooling performs the same (and sometimes better) for cheaper and more reliability. 

Didn’t TechQuickie also make an episode on why Watercooling is better?

6 minutes ago, gloop said:

Didn’t TechQuickie also make an episode on why Watercooling is better?

Yep.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

the entire video is about water cooling yet from start to finish it fails to mention even ones that the setup is outright stupid.
its basically Politic language, meaning you cleaverly leave out or suggest in such a strong way that it makes those who'd benefit from the content misunderstand the entire premise.
in short, the message of the video becomes unclear.

The only part of you post that has any real merit is when you said,"they should do a better job out lining the pros and cons, and when a setup would be better or worse."

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

12 minutes ago, Jamil said:

the entire video is about water cooling yet from start to finish it fails to mention even ones that the setup is outright stupid.
its basically Politic language, meaning you cleaverly leave out or suggest in such a strong way that it makes those who'd benefit from the content misunderstand the entire premise.
in short, the message of the video becomes unclear.

Assuming we are talking about the same video, todays video where he tests for the second time wether stacking radiators is beneficial, then I think you misunderstood the point of the video. It wasn't a video for people that are looking to get into water cooling, to explain the pros and cons, but rather a video to answer a very specific question that I mentioned earlier. The setup is not stupid in their scenario (in a server chassis where you can't just add radiators to the top or bottom), which you would have caught if you watched the first video they did on this topic. By the way if you haven't watched the first video, once you do the video you are talking about will make more sense. Here's the first one.

1 hour ago, Jamil said:

<snip>

Not sure where you get this from but Linus has been promoting water cooling for most of his YT career. Whole house water cooling, water cooling the mod den, his personal rig is water cooled, he slaps a radiator into half of all the builds he makes.... etcetera.

I think you missed the point of the episode and why he did it.

But just for sake of argument, which episode are you referring to, it helps to know.

*edit

But anyhow lets break this down a bit;

1 hour ago, Jamil said:

and again Linus completely fails to explain what water cooling is and why its used, and uses misleading research and results to give the impression that water cooling is bad.

in more detail: when water cooling what you'r trying to do is 2 things, A: MOVE heat away from the computer, and B: dissipate that heat in a timely manner at an optimal location.

His more recent videos were not for addressing this, Linus has gone into length in previous videos explaining this point. He is well aware.

1 hour ago, Jamil said:

but lets say you are crazy enough to want OPTIMAL cooling, then you'd need to A: use long pipes that lead the cooling either outside or for those that live on the sun, in a cooling room.

His video on whole house water cooling covers this and the failure that it was. He went into why it failed and what should have been done better. Yes it could have been done better and either way it failed to show positive results he was looking for but he also learned a lot from it.

1 hour ago, Jamil said:

secondly, dont make a fucking pipe and put each radiator in front of each other, put them in a grid next to each other so fans can work together.

and regardless of setup, water is always slightly better, but yes, setup matters but whoever wrote this episode(i apologize for being angry) is a fucking moron for not outlining this very clearly.

i want to see an episode were this is utilized to some extreme extend, or at least prove me wrong, because you cant.

I will assume you are referring to this video;

image.png.1048765ec59cbe6476248e19df5941ed.png

Have you watched the latest video where he stacked 7 radiators where-in the fans were working together, moving the air in the same direction... He included the heat bleed to the last radiator when moving air from hottest to coolest and the coolest to hottest. He then did a dual radiator test.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 hours ago, Jamil said:

but lets say you are crazy enough to want OPTIMAL cooling, then you'd need to A: use long pipes that lead the cooling either outside

Unless you have an extremely high heat load i.e. an entire server rack dissipating 6kw+ of heat circulating water outside the chassis to another location be that inside or outside is unnecessary and won't actually amount to much. Not to mention if it actually did you're putting your system at condensation risk from circulating in below ambient water in to what is likely to be a reasonable humidity percentage and warmer ambient temperature room and chassis more so.

Even with insulated pipes depending on how far you are running them they still conduct thermal energy so the water will either be cooling or warming depending on circumstance negating all the effort you did to circulate the water to somewhere outside the chassis. Then because you went to all the effort it is now more impractical than it already is with a custom water loop to move the computer around or service it.

So you either have no real gain in temperature reduction which for AMD will result in no frequency gain and even less so for Intel as their's are a bit less temperature sensitive. Unless you are benefiting in the area of 20C or better then there is no performance gain to be had, no tangible longevity increase either so all you get to show for it is a bit lower temperatures and a whole list of downsides which are more impactful than anything you have gained, the big one being condensation risk.

All you need is clean airflow to the radiator and to be expelling the air going through the radiator directly outward of the chassis, that's it. Truly that simple. If you don't have a GPU water block then you just need to look at your chassis airflow path and speed to make sure either the air going to your radiator is not being significantly impacted by the GPU if it's venting in to the chassis and if it is the solution to that is actually just more airflow to expel the air outside the chassis more quickly which will lower the chassis ambient temperature. Water cooling is not that complicated and as long as you avoid air flow restrictions and drawing through high ambient temperature air there is extremely little to be gained, improvements of less than 5C just do not matter.

If you want to be optimal go with a chassis that has airflow partitions or specific ways to expel GPU heat without affecting something like a CPU radiator. An example of that is the chassis I use which is the LD PC-V8, I've put in 2 quad rads in the bottom chamber and 1 quad at the top of the chassis. Everything is water cooled, even the RAM. I know the top rad does nothing, in fact it likely has a negative heat impact but since it's so minor I do not care, the build was literally for aesthetics. I did later however change the bottom rads to triples since it was just too annoying to access the fittings etc.

At some point things become such a minor difference it is purely a discussion on theory rather than practical benefits, theory is great but in real situations if nothing will be gained from it then it's not worth stressing over.

11 hours ago, Jamil said:

[angry ranting]

You completely missed the point of the video.

12 hours ago, Jamil said:

there's 2 things to water cooling. "series vs parallel" this refers to how the loop is setup

"Location" this refers to were you have your fans and radiator

firstly if you just need to cool normally, a normal computer then by any means use 1 water radiator or just radiator with fans.(even in that setup water is better, especially for gaming were hardware is not always working at 100%, meaning the temperature is stabilized, and fans can then work much better at dissipating the heat instead of regular radiator without water)

If you're talking about the stacked rads I'm sure the point was stacked rads don't do as much as people think. Other than that WC is a little bit pointless outside of niche examples. I have an AIO becuase I wanted a change but it's not giving me significantly better temps than a £40 Air cooler for more than double the price. Would never do a custom loop because they cost a small fortune and today when chips are already close to max speed out of box what's the point? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

5 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

If you're talking about the stacked rads I'm sure the point was stacked rads don't do as much as people think. Other than that WC is a little bit pointless outside of niche examples. I have an AIO becuase I wanted a change but it's not giving me significantly better temps than a £40 Air cooler for more than double the price. Would never do a custom loop because they cost a small fortune and today when chips are already close to max speed out of box what's the point? 

I've done a few AliExpress custom loops... they still work. Kinda... ;)

48 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

I've done a few AliExpress custom loops... they still work. Kinda... ;)

Wouldn't trust the health of my PC with AliExpress tbh ;)

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?