For perfomance , mATX vs ATX,is there a difference?

SSOB
Go to solution Solved by tech.guru,

opinions do not equal facts. I stand by everything I said.

but I am glad some people agree with you.

however, if I was going to spend 2k-3k for a no compromise pc for the best frame rates.

i would not put a high end graphic card (if it will even fit) nto a small form factor where there is little air it can move and will throttle if it can not be cooled.lso almost all matx and small form factor motherboard have two memory slots. if i was to select a motherboard that required heavily multi tasking where i knew i might want to upgrade memory later i would not select a motherboard with just two slots available.

also as i mention, alot of matx mb manufacturers make compromises for the size of the board and one of the common things is not being to put as good audio chipset.  most people do not have a dedicated audio card and it would be surprising the difference in terms of sounds of games which have been more cinematic feel.

I also mentioned less m.2 slots and sata connectors etc. none of this is factually incorrect.

i admit there is a vocal small form factor community i get that, and I own one myself as a home theatre/general gaming pc.

it is not the best option for her use case and requirements who want ultimate performance. its just a fact mb make compromises on these boards to cram things into such a small space

Is there a big difference these days in mATX and ATX?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a big difference these days in mATX and ATX?

• Yes ofc! Better Overclocking, power delivery etc!
    • No, ofc not, the designs of the PCB's are equal, only if you need to run more expansion cards I.e. if you need more than 3 PCIe slots

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, SSOB said:

😆😆

200% mad in the head :( 

Ok ok. Lets not go that route man. 

She choosen his suggestion. You aint loosing anything on it. 

I didnt read the other thread.

Wanted to come with facts about overclocking and the differences.

If the board someone needs works best full sized, thats ok too.

Dont sweat it. You got your poll results. Nuff said.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Lol, read it, the guy (don't think it's a girlneither) didnt even CHOOSE anything LOL

Interested in Business and Technology

1 hour ago, SSOB said:

All boards released in 2015 otr so or newer aren't different from their ATX counterparts anymore!

1. Not entirely true, but for the most part, outside of expandability, they're not really different in any meaningful way. The chipsets are the same. You could make broad generalizations and say that mATX boards typically have lesser VRMs and are aimed at a more budget-minded audience. You'd be more right than wrong, with mATX boards typically costing less than ATX boards of the same tier. If you're determined to spend a shit-ton of money on a mATX board with high-end VRMs and BIOS reset buttons and light-up POST codes, it can be done.

2. You're being a child about this.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Besides, He's lying as well, read the whole topic, never did the OP say that he needed any expansioncards neither more than 2 NVMe SSD's hes a big delusional liar and I'm lmfao behind my kb bro, I'm smiling loooool 😆

yes, mad to look at everything objectively weigh the pros and cons of different options and try to find the best option for what the person asked for.

you guys have tried and failed find technical arguments and think im attacking the matx standard and saying its inferior. 

its not but its not the best option for what she wanted, she started out with standard mid atx board and case. you geared her that matx direction I wanted to make her aware of the pitfalls. you want to pretend there isnt any and mid atx boards and micro atx boards are the same.

they are not there are tradeoffs, and i have said enough things about some of the tradeoffs instead of looking at the things i mentioned you are now calling me sick attacking me personally.

its really sad you cant get rid of your bias and look at things objectively to provide the best solution for people who are asking for advice.

Just now, aisle9 said:

1. Not entirely true, but for the most part, outside of expandability, they're not really different in any meaningful way. The chipsets are the same. You could make broad generalizations and say that mATX boards typically have lesser VRMs and are aimed at a more budget-minded audience. You'd be more right than wrong, with mATX boards typically costing less than ATX boards of the same tier. If you're determined to spend a shit-ton of money on a mATX board with high-end VRMs and BIOS reset buttons and light-up POST codes, it can be done.

2. You're being a child about this.

1. Don't think you read the topic bro. I am saying  mATX is 100% identical to ATX  , the guy @tech.guru says that ATX gives you more FPS, which I will now highlight as the answer cuz I'm done with this topic lol.

2. You would be 100% right LOL

5 minutes ago, SSOB said:

1. Don't think you read the topic bro. I am saying  mATX is 100% identical to ATX  , the guy @tech.guru says that ATX gives you more FPS, which I will now highlight as the answer cuz I'm done with this topic lol.

2. You would be 100% right LOL

dude i never said matx gave more fps again generalization.

i said you make compromises when you chose an matx board, in terms of upgradability and some of features such as the audio chipset.

im not going into everything but if you look at her requirements,

gaming and multitasking

as i mentioned you selected a micro atx case and micro atx motherboard

i stand by my statement its a poor choice for her use case.

specifically the limited ram slots on the motherboard (2) and the fact you selected an intel and older radeon vii graphic card over her orginal 2080 ti.

if she chooses to follow you thats her choice but i hope she asks for a second opinion from somebody she knows and trusts and who doesnt have same bias you do.

Thread locked.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450