For perfomance , mATX vs ATX,is there a difference?

SSOB
Go to solution Solved by tech.guru,

opinions do not equal facts. I stand by everything I said.

but I am glad some people agree with you.

however, if I was going to spend 2k-3k for a no compromise pc for the best frame rates.

i would not put a high end graphic card (if it will even fit) nto a small form factor where there is little air it can move and will throttle if it can not be cooled.lso almost all matx and small form factor motherboard have two memory slots. if i was to select a motherboard that required heavily multi tasking where i knew i might want to upgrade memory later i would not select a motherboard with just two slots available.

also as i mention, alot of matx mb manufacturers make compromises for the size of the board and one of the common things is not being to put as good audio chipset.  most people do not have a dedicated audio card and it would be surprising the difference in terms of sounds of games which have been more cinematic feel.

I also mentioned less m.2 slots and sata connectors etc. none of this is factually incorrect.

i admit there is a vocal small form factor community i get that, and I own one myself as a home theatre/general gaming pc.

it is not the best option for her use case and requirements who want ultimate performance. its just a fact mb make compromises on these boards to cram things into such a small space

Is there a big difference these days in mATX and ATX?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a big difference these days in mATX and ATX?

• Yes ofc! Better Overclocking, power delivery etc!
    • No, ofc not, the designs of the PCB's are equal, only if you need to run more expansion cards I.e. if you need more than 3 PCIe slots

This poll is closed to new votes

Sooooo, I've been in a discussion recently in this topic: 

Now for the OP to not create confusion I've opened this topic. The person I am having this discussion with says that an ATX board is ''always better'' for ''overclocking'' and more. If anything the money saved on the extra PCB can go to better VRM components... Now Not to get too deep into this. Apart from extra expansion cards, I honestly see no problem  whatsoever  with even the most high end builds using MicroATX!

What do you think?

Interested in Business and Technology

1 minute ago, CircleTech said:

No, the performance of both designs are idential. the only difference is mATX will have less expansion.

@tech.guru Oh, would you look at that...

1 minute ago, Hakemon said:

Only limitation I can see with Micro ATX vs full size ATX (my board is micro ATX), is that some a few micro's have 4+1 VRM's which limit overclocking potential.

All boards released in 2015 otr so or newer aren't different from their ATX counterparts anymore!

2 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

No, the performance of both designs are idential. the only difference is mATX will have less expansion.

(L)  a normal person , finally, LOL

Generally most of the Full ATX boards at the higher end tier will cater to Overclocking Enthusiasts with nifty buttons to work with. LN2 switch, slow mode button, retry OC button, MemOK button while mATX boards may only feature a few of these nifty options if any at all.

I think the form factor should be fitted to case size desired. The average Joe Gamer don't need enthusiast grade overclocking boards unless wanting to get into competitive benchmarking.

1 minute ago, Hakemon said:

Well with that attitude if you're going to be rude, tata.

Sorry, too many posts in the topic I posted with the guy, beaming it off on you guys, Sorry again! But kinda got me mad lol

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Generally most of the Full ATX boards at the higher end tier will cater to Overclocking Enthusiasts with nifty buttons to work with. LN2 switch, slow mode button, retry OC button, MemOK button while mATX boards may only feature a few of these nifty options if any at all.

I think the form factor should be fitted to case size desired. The average Joe Gamer don't need enthusiast grade overclocking boards unless wanting to get into competitive benchmarking.

do you see this my bro? @tech.guru

1 minute ago, SSOB said:

do you see this my bro? @tech.guru

Oh!!

I missed something in the other thread. Is it juicy? Should I take the time to read it?? 

14 minutes ago, SSOB said:

The person I am having this discussion with says that an ATX board is ''always better'' for ''overclocking'' and more.

MATX boards are generally lower quality and cheaper than their ATX counterparts.

But this doesn't mean anything. ^^^^

Strictly talking about form factor, there is no difference when both boards are using the same components.

If anything the MATX board will have slightly better PCIE signal quality due to having less slots to wire up. (using b350 and x370 PCIE4 bioses as an example here)

There are top tier MATX motherboards like the ASUS GENE series. There is simply less high end options.

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

There are top tier MATX motherboard like the ASUS GENE there is simply less of them.

Oh god a Maximus IV Gene. That board was so fucking cool man. 

I don't like the Z490, there's no ROG red involved. It looks like a low end board visually. (imo)

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh god a Maximus IV Gene. That board was so fucking cool man. 

I don't like the Z490, there's no ROG red involved. It looks like a low end board visually. (imo)

ROG = red for me as well. Man them days when the first ITX boards got released under ROG, Really fell in love but at the time 400 bucks!!

micro ATX is where I wish most boards+case went as it has plenty for mos peoples needs. HEDT is what needs the ATX and E-ATX boards. GPU, PCIE wifi/faster networking with 4-6 sata ports and 2 m.2 can all fit on a mATX board

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

micro ATX is where I wish most boards+case went as it has plenty for mos peoples needs. HEDT is what needs the ATX and E-ATX boards. GPU, PCIE wifi/faster networking with 4-6 sata ports and 2 m.2 can all fit on a mATX board

100% agreed!

Please read this brother @tech.guru

however, if I was going to spend 2k-3k for a no compromise pc for the best frame rates.

i would not put a high end graphic card (if it will even fit) nto a small form factor where there is little air it can move and will throttle if it can not be cooled.lso almost all matx and small form factor motherboard have two memory slots. if i was to select a motherboard that required heavily multi tasking where i knew i might want to upgrade memory later i would not select a motherboard with just two slots available.

also as i mention, alot of matx mb manufacturers make compromises for the size of the board and one of the common things is not being to put as good audio chipset.  most people do not have a dedicated audio card and it would be surprising the difference in terms of sounds of games which have been more cinematic feel.

I also mentioned less m.2 slots and sata connectors etc. none of this is factually incorrect.

i admit there is a vocal small form factor community i get that, and I own one myself as a home theatre/general gaming pc.

it is not the best option for her use case and requirements who want ultimate performance. its just a fact mb make compromises on these boards to cram things into such a small space

1 minute ago, tech.guru said:

also as i mention, alot of matx mb manufacturers make compromises for the size of the board and one of the common things is not being to put as good audio chipset.  most people do not have a dedicated audio card and it would be surprising the difference in terms of sounds of games which have been more cinematic.

Looking at the poll, not ''some'' people agreed.

All  people agreed...

Edit: just read this and dude....

Please guys, I cannot do it anymore I need help, please educate the lad,

@GDRRiley @ShrimpBrime @CircleTech

And yeah shrimp, read the topic, you'll get a laugh out of it I guess lol :P 

Just now, SSOB said:

ROG = red for me as well. Man them days when the first ITX boards got released under ROG, Really fell in love but at the time 400 bucks!!

Haha yea. But worth it. Especially back then when OC was for gamers to achieve better clocks. 

Now.... set the cpu in. Turn it on. It boosted it's self. You gamed. You turned PC off. 

OC forums went dead. It's a thing of the past. What maybe some actual 2000 ACTIVE benching enthusiasts left today. 

Just now, SSOB said:

Looking at the poll, not ''some'' people agreed.

All  people agreed...

majority does not determine facts :)

facts are facts. opinions are another matter.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Haha yea. But worth it. Especially back then when OC was for gamers to achieve better clocks. 

Now.... set the cpu in. Turn it on. It boosted it's self. You gamed. You turned PC off. 

OC forums went dead. It's a thing of the past. What maybe some actual 2000 ACTIVE benching enthusiasts left today. 

Oh well, Gucci belts aren't worth it, Ferraris neither 😛 

1 minute ago, tech.guru said:

majority does not determine facts :)

facts are facts. opinions are another matter.

almost all matx and small form factor motherboard have two memory slots

Well FACTUALLY speaking most MATX motherboards that are not the literal cheapest model, have 4 dimm slots.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Well FACTUALLY speaking most MATX motherboards that are not the literal cheapest model, have 4 dimm slots.

Bro don't make @tech.guru mad , he's a ''professional'' this isn't a ''hobby'' for him 

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Looking at the poll, Not even one person voted for yes, Lol! Come on lads we can do this :P :P 

Just now, SSOB said:

Bro don't make @tech.guru mad , he's a ''professional'' this isn't a ''hobby'' for him 

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

He's wrong to lean on cooling excuse and putting a high end video card into a smaller board. In fact, I'm trying to re-read it to get his point of view..... but so far all I can think of is fucking spot fans and shit. No, that's not exactly how that works. 

Again. Case design and orientation. This makes a HUGE difference for gamers, general dudes.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

He's wrong to lean on cooling excuse and putting a high end video card into a smaller board. In fact, I'm trying to re-read it to get his point of view..... but so far all I can think of is fucking spot fans and shit. No, that's not exactly how that works. 

Again. Case design and orientation. This makes a HUGE difference for gamers, general dudes.

When he mentioned '' Less USB ''

I lost it :P 

As if the I/O shield is larger or smaller with ITX to even E-ATX

L0L

6 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

ummm, while the matx can have four alot of people who go and buy matx are to place in cheaper end pcs from experience. these are placed in oem pcs like dell and others who are looking for the cheapest option to keep costs low when margins are thin.

while i wouldnt take as official source, i did find this which agrees

https://pcgamehaven.com/matx-vs-atx-motherboard-what-should-you-use-for-a-gaming-pc/

One of the first (and easily the biggest) differences that anyone will notice between an mATX and an ATX motherboard is the size. Most micro-ATX motherboards will often have less available ports and headers than an ATX board, a good example would be how many RAM slots there are – most micro ATX motherboards will usually have 2, ATX motherboards will almost always have 4. This limits how much potential RAM there can be, as more RAM requires more RAM slots.