Can you remove OEM keys

SomeonesDad

From the information that i gathered about OEM keys, they stuck with the motherboard, meaning if you need to upgrade your motherboard, you need a whole new key. Now if i want to change my operating system with the same motherboard or i just want to sell the motherboard, is it possible to remove the oem key that is stuck in the motherboard itself

Another question, do oem versions allowed to get win10 updates?

-Main PC-

CPU Ryzen 3 3100 | | Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | | GPU PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 | |RAM 16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3000MHz | | PSU Corsair CX550 80+ Bronze | | SSD Kingston A400 240GB | | HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM  | |Case Phanteks P300

-Laptop-

HP Elite 820 G4

Intel I5-7200U

Intel HD 620

8GB DDR4

500GB SSD

4 minutes ago, SomeonesDad said:

if i want to change my operating system with the same motherboard or i just want to sell the motherboard

There's nothing that prevents you from changing your OS.

4 minutes ago, SomeonesDad said:

Of course, they'd be pointless otherwise.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Some yes some not but mostly yes

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 hour ago, SomeonesDad said:

is it possible to remove the oem key that is stuck in the motherboard itself

Why would you want that? Only thing you'd do is reduce the value of the mobo. Having keys doesn't prevent anything.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

And you can change motherboard. Read what Microsoft says about significant hardware change and follow steps (linking to Microsoft Account).

9 hours ago, SomeonesDad said:

From the information that i gathered about OEM keys, they stuck with the motherboard, meaning if you need to upgrade your motherboard, you need a whole new key. Now if i want to change my operating system with the same motherboard or i just want to sell the motherboard, is it possible to remove the oem key that is stuck in the motherboard itself

Let me clarify a few things for you.

OEM Licenses are installed by OEM system manufactures (OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture) these are designed for single system installation.

Non-OEM Licensee are literally the same thing except they can be used for up to 5 systems.

Once an OEM License is used (Windows 10) it "attaches" itself to the motherboard so it knows if it has been installed before so it cant be used again, same with Non-OEM except with its increase to 5 installations.

The "Key" is not left on Mother board, it is contained with your OS on your Hardrive. You can sell or dispose of the motherboard without needing to remove it.

But that doesnt go without saying this, you will need to contact Microsoft if you replace your Mobo so they can reset the Key for you when install it if the key refuses to work with the new board, (the board need to be the same as the one being replaced btw)

9 hours ago, SomeonesDad said:

Yes, of course. You can upgrade your version to whichever version you want, you just need to purchase the corresponding key for that version.

All Versions get systematic updates per each version.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

54 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

The "Key" is not left on Mother board

It is. You can take a machine with an OEM key, reinstall a fresh Windows on it offline and it'll automagically be fully activated.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

16 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It is. You can take a machine with an OEM key, reinstall a fresh Windows on it offline and it'll automagically be fully activated.

That is not correct, when you activate Windows 10 it records the hardware signature (device ID) it is then compressed into a numerical identifier and placed in the MS Activation servers and attached to your MS account. This information is also kept in a file in the OS, I cannot remember specifically how but its for activation verification.

@GoodBytes

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It works even without an MS account, and requires no online check. 

I recently got some old business machines, they were decommissioned years ago, were ran on Linux by the next owner for a couple of years, and as I reinstalled Windows on them they were fully activated out of the box. 

It's easy to see a machine has an OEM key stored in the UEFI as when you install Win10 you will not get the dialog box to select a version (Home/pro etc, with the "I don't have a key" choice), it'll automatically install and activate the version that matches the stored key. This is way before an account is added and with no internet connection.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Ok so they are some confusion in this thread. Let me clarify things.

The Basics

Windows has 3 main licenses (you have more, like for enterprises via Volume license and Educational, but I won't cover those as this is outside the needed scope):

• OEM
  • System Builder OEM
  • Retail / Upgrade

OEM

These licenses cannot be acquired by any of us. These are for "Microsoft trusted partners" only, which are the large OEM manufactures like Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, and many others. They get special license rights that vary based on the system size and price. The price also can periodically changes to adapt to current market situation.

For them, the licenses of Windows 8/10 is embedded in the UEFI chip. When you install Windows 10, it will detect the key and resume the installation. While in the end the license will be activated by default, it is by assumption, and there is always an online check that will need to take place. The license is non-transferable and is stuck in the UEFI chip.

System Builder OEM

This is also called by the community in general and computer part retailers as simply as "OEM", but it is not be confused with the OEM above! System Builder OEM licenses are sold by select retailers who sales to system builders  such as DIY like us who build computers and those who build and sale computers at a small scale). The price of the license fits between OEM and Retail license. You do get a code and a disk. The code is NOT stored in the motherboard UEFI. In fact, ASUS, AsRock, Gigabyte, MSI and so on, none of them have this capability. This is not something that Windows can even do. 

These licenses are also non-transferable and you have no installation and getting started support from Microsoft, nor a nice box, just a folded piece of cardboard with disk, or USB drive with a code (or just a code and you have to get the license), hence the reduce price.

Retail / Upgrade

This is the license you can purchase at any retail stores who wishes to sale licenses of Windows. You have the nice box, support from Microsoft to install it and get started with the OS if you need it and it is transferable. Cost more.

Now that the basics are set, let's dive in a bit more.

Details

OEM, license are, as mentioned, in the motherboard UEFI. The license can transfer hands (person), technically, but cannot be transferred to another motherboard or used in another system. So if you have a Dell laptop (for example), and you build your own desktop system to replace your laptop, you cannot transfer it. If you try, it will not work. You need to purchase a new license of Windows 10, if you want that OS.

System Builder OEM, this license, which one WE can go and buy from your local computer store of choice (also Amazon and other online retailers that sales computer parts have it), this one, once you activate Windows, it ties the license with the motherboard serial number and other system hardware IDs and various serial numbers that it gathers. It also associate it with the the first Microsoft linked account created on the system (For local accounts, those not-MS linked, Microsoft servers still does the association between hardware ID it made and the license # in its servers. But now, it is more picky for hardware changes, where you may need to re-enter the product key to reactivate the OS, if you do some hardware changes between your last shutdown and re-install of the system.

To repeat myself: all this tying of information is all stored in Microsoft servers. Nothing is physically stored on the computer. This is why, if you re-install Windows, and you pick in the Windows installation panel when it asks for a key "I don't have one", assuming you did no upgrade your hardware (or minimal one) in between your last shutdown and re-install, you'll automatically have Windows activated once you are online (if you are not online, it will go in trial mode until you go online to do the activation). If you have a Microsoft linked account and did upgrade in between your last shutdown and before re-installing Windows, Windows Activation Server will do the association between you and the system (it will go: "Meh.. close enoughhy, probably the same system, motherboard is identical, so all good!) and activate Windows. Yes, you can switch between Local account and Microsoft linked account, and that will adjust the license in Windows Activation Servers. You don't need to do anything, it does it automatically. And of course, you still have the product key if anything as your backup. That is why you should not throw it away.

Retail / Upgrade. This license allows transfers of system. The exact, latest, details are unknown, but you should be able to do a transfers per month and 5 re-installs per month. After that, you'll need to do a phone activation. As long as Windows 10 is activated on 1 system at a time, Windows Activation is happy. The linking of product key with your account and hardware from "System Builder OEM" still takes place. You are not loosing this feature. The only difference, is that the first account creator account on the system, will gain the license.

What to do if you are selling your system/motherboard?

Regardless of your license:

Format (to remove your personal data that can still be recovered, even if you delete them), then clean install Windows, but when you get to the OOBE (where you have Cortana talking), stop there, lie the above. OR, if you want to setup things first on that newly re-installed system, resume, and once done, run Sysprep, this will delete the main account of the system, and return it back to the OOBE state, however, changing such as driver and software installation will not be removed. More details and limitation mentioned in the linked doc. If you have or had a Microsoft linked account, once the previous step is done, go to https://accout.microsoft.com, then go (on the blue top bar) to "Device > Manage", then find your computer you want to remove, and pick the menu button ( ⁞ ) and pick "Remove PC". Now, if I a not mistaken, you are ready to sale the system.

If you are selling just the motherboard, not the entire system. But want to transfer your license (if it is a retail, as you can't in the others as per license agreement). Simply go to https://accout.microsoft.com, then go (on the blue top bar) to "Device > Manage", then find your computer you want to remove, and pick the menu button ( ⁞ ) and pick "Remove PC". And don't give them the product key, use it on your new system or motherboard.