Please help, I don’t know if this build will bottleneck

Brodi Freeman

Hey guys, I am brand new to pc building and I have recently heard about bottlenecking and was wondering if anybody could help me out on the subject. These are the pc parts I am looking to buy with a budget of around $1000 to $1500 (preferably on the lower end of that budget):

- AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core 16 thread CPU (I don’t know what any of those mean 😂😂)

- MSI GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 GPU

- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2x8gb) DDR4 3200MHz RAM

- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2

Those are the main parts that I am thinking of getting and I was just wondering if the cpu and gpu I picked out was a good combo or if there will be some bad bottlenecking in this build, thanks.

Budget ? 

What are you using it for ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

That’s definitely not a bottleneck 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 hours ago, Brodi Freeman said:

Hey guys, I am brand new to pc building and I have recently heard about bottlenecking and was wondering if anybody could help me out on the subject. These are the pc parts I am looking to buy with a budget of around $1000 to $1500 (preferably on the lower end of that budget):

- AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core 16 thread CPU (I don’t know what any of those mean 😂😂)

- MSI GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 GPU

- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2x8gb) DDR4 3200MHz RAM

- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2

Those are the main parts that I am thinking of getting and I was just wondering if the cpu and gpu I picked out was a good combo or if there will be some bad bottlenecking in this build, thanks.

You will be fine with this system. CPU or memories will not bottleneck GPU at all at 1080p, 1440p or 4k.

All builds bottleneck.

I know mine does.

You could do with more GPU but if the 2060 is the only one that fits in your budget at least you know that you can upgrade later on and still have a good setup. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

1 minute ago, jones177 said:

All builds bottleneck.

I know mine does.

You could do with more GPU but if the 2060 is the only one that fits in your budget at least you know that you can upgrade later on and still have a good setup. 

When we're talk about bottleneck on gamer build, we're usually talking about CPU bottlenecking GPU. Bottleneck needs a parameters to even make any sense.

So the parameters are games and resolution for gamer build. That's why we can measure and say if there's a bottleneck or not. 

29 minutes ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

When we're talk about bottleneck on gamer build, we're usually talking about CPU bottlenecking GPU. Bottleneck needs a parameters to even make any sense.

So the parameters are games and resolution for gamer build. That's why we can measure and say if there's a bottleneck or not. 

To me a bottleneck is still a bottleneck even when it is the GPU.

My setup has both CPU and GPU bottlenecks. For CPU I bottleneck at 4k in games like GTA 5 and at 1440p in games like SOTTR. GPU bottlenecks are when I use RT or play RDR 2.  

All the bottlenecks are not a problem because the refresh rates of my monitors are lower than the bottlenecks.

If I used a 1440p 144hz monitor the CPU bottleneck would be a problem since it is usually in the 130fps range on AAA games. For GPU it is at 4k well over 60fps so it will be a problem when I upgrade to 4k 120hz.

There are no upgrades for me yet to get rid of my bottlenecks but the OP has a chance to have a more balanced system if they went with something like a 2070s.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 minutes ago, jones177 said:

To me a bottleneck is still a bottleneck even when it is the GPU.

My setup has both CPU and GPU bottlenecks. For CPU I bottleneck at 4k in games like GTA 5 and at 1440p in games like SOTTR. GPU bottlenecks are when I use RT or play RDR 2.  

All the bottlenecks are not a problem because the refresh rates of my monitors are lower than the bottlenecks.

If I used a 1440p 144hz monitor the CPU bottleneck would be a problem since it is usually in the 130fps range on AAA games. For GPU it is at 4k well over 60fps so it will be a problem when I upgrade to 4k 120hz.

There are no upgrades for me yet to get rid of my bottlenecks but the OP has a chance to have a more balanced system if they went with something like a 2070s.  

Yeap, 100% right. That's exaclty why I have mentioned that bottleneck needs a parameter to be measured. What game and what resolution are needed.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:02 AM, gloop said:

What country are you in and what are you using it for?

@gloop I am mainly using it for gaming

On 6/29/2020 at 6:02 AM, gloop said:

What country are you in and what are you using it for?

@gloop I am in the United States

23 hours ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

@rodrigoxm49 Ok I am mostly using it for fortnite. I might also play call of duty modern warfare and Minecraft lol. Also I don’t know much about resolutions. I want the most FPS I can get but I also want my game to look nice so I don’t know if I should use 1080, 1440 or 4K (and I don’t really know the difference between them) 

On 6/29/2020 at 6:06 AM, TofuHaroto said:

Budget ? 

What are you using it for ?

@TofuHaroto I am using it for gaming

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

1 minute ago, Brodi Freeman said:

am using it for gaming

Get a 3600 and a 2070 super / 5700xt 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Brodi Freeman said:

is that a ryzen 5 3600

Yes it is

Build Log: 

56 minutes ago, Brodi Freeman said:

@rodrigoxm49 Ok I am mostly using it for fortnite. I might also play call of duty modern warfare and Minecraft lol. Also I don’t know much about resolutions. I want the most FPS I can get but I also want my game to look nice so I don’t know if I should use 1080, 1440 or 4K (and I don’t really know the difference between them) 

You need to know the resolution first. And that's depends on your TV/monitor.

About 3600. Dont do it if you have money to buy Ryzen 3700. It have 2 cores and 4 threads more and it will make HUGE difference in modern games that will be launch on new consoles.

4 hours ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

You need to know the resolution first. And that's depends on your TV/monitor.

About 3600. Dont do it if you have money to buy Ryzen 3700. It have 2 cores and 4 threads more and it will make HUGE difference in modern games that will be launch on new consoles.

Ok thanks for the help

-= Locked for Moderation =-

-= Topic Cleaned =-

This will not be a Tit-4-Tat discussion on the semantics of bottlenecking. Continuation of the removed derailment will be met with issued warnings.

Stay on topic, if you wish to discuss, do it in another, new topic.

@Brodi Freeman your question has been answered,

That’s definitely not a bottleneck 

~ @Drama Lama

The system parts you have chosen will work well together, that GPU and CPU pairing should not give you issues.

Edited by SansVarnic
-= Topic Cleaned =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER