Would windows 10 professional work on a server?

Would windows 10 professional 64bit work on a Dell PowerEdge T110 with the drivers? As I am looking to buy one.

Drivers that work on Windows Server should generally also work on Windows. You may be missing some Windows features that are more specific to a server role though. Depends on what you want to do with it whether that is an issue or not.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Yes, it would work. If you don't need any Windows Server specific features, a desktop OS is fine.

Btw, the T110 is quite old, so if you want to make it useful, try to upgrade it where possible.

CPUs for those are very cheap, RAM is also easy to find.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

16 minutes ago, JarredLucusFeutrill said:

Would windows 10 professional 64bit work on a Dell PowerEdge T110 with the drivers? As I am looking to buy one.

It's a very old machine that is basically just a lga 1156 optiplex but what if serverized. How much are you getting this for and what are you planning to do with it? Also what config is it?

43 minutes ago, JarredLucusFeutrill said:

Also bear in mind Dell Servers are LOUD.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Also bear in mind Dell Servers are LOUD.

Depends greatly on the model and configuration.

I've handled T110 and T410 servers before and they are not loud at all unless you fill them up with third party components like graphics cards and whatnot,

which isn't typically what anyone should do, and even then, there are workarounds.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The only real difference I can think of that you can't fix with 3rd party software is that windows server supports more RAM than win10. However that only goes for >256 gig or something insane like that.

26 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

there are workarounds.

If the workarounds are anything like for the PowerEdge 2900 fans, it requires some skill to do, as well as (IIRC) some tinkering with the BIOS to get it to accept the modded fans.

All the same, no one will want that system sitting next to them in the days of near-silent PCs, for any length of time.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

23 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If the workarounds are anything like for the PowerEdge 2900 fans, it requires some skill to do, as well as (IIRC) some tinkering with the BIOS to get it to accept the modded fans.

All the same, no one will want that system sitting next to them in the days of near-silent PCs, for any length of time.

Keep in mind the 2900 series were loud because

a) rack server

b) very hot and very high power consumption

The later servers using newer Intel platforms were much quieter in operation.

The workarounds for the later Dell servers only involve a BIOS setting (Third party PCI fan response) or an edit directly to the iDRAC via powershell. And these

scenarios only apply to high fan speed due to installation of third party cards.

Also don't force the power profile to max performance, but to balanced instead.

The 2900 series is too old to benefit from any of these tips. The T110 is a newer architecture machine overall. My current gen T140 is much closer to it than it is to the old ass 2900s which nobody should keep using.

45 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

2900 series

Ah, my bad, I'd forgotten they were rack mounted, as the one I have is a tower (gen III perhaps)

But yeah, 1U rack units are certainly noisy.

It's good to know the latter servers don't require any BIOS mods, it's almost like Dell anticipated this and made it easier to quiet.