Upgrade but no FPS Increase

Drakenthagod

So I upgraded graphics cards from a 1060 3gb to a ROG Strix gaming 8gb card. In the same games I played before even at same settings I get the same FPS . I even tried upping the settings to use more GPU to see if that helped FPS still the same. So did I just waste money? I get there maybe a bottleneck somewhere maybe even CPU but I still feel going up in literally 5GB difference in the cards and the 1080 definitely faster that even with a bottleneck I should still get a least a bit better performance.

i have a i5 6600k

the 1080

16GB DDR4 ram

750W power supply 

Did you clean out your drivers with DDU?

A girl who loves to love.

Have you e.g. enabled V-sync, thus capping your FPS at 60, if that's the refresh rate your monitor is running at?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

16 minutes ago, Drakenthagod said:

to a ROG Strix gaming 8gb card

A bigger frame buffer doesn't tell the whole story 

Ddu the drivers 

Check temps 

Also what games are you playing ? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 hours ago, Aimi said:

Did you clean out your drivers with DDU?

Forgot to say that but yes I did a clean uninstall with it and then downloaded the newest drivers again

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Have you e.g. enabled V-sync, thus capping your FPS at 60, if that's the refresh rate your monitor is running at?

No I made sure not that 

6 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

A bigger frame buffer doesn't tell the whole story 

Ddu the drivers 

Check temps 

Also what games are you playing ? 

I did the DDU. Games like Modern warfare , Rust, Ark, GTA V . Like I said I tried the same settings when I first got it because obviously I just wanted to see how big of a jump in straight up performance it would get even at the same settings. And it was basically the same FPS. In games like modern warfare I was on medium before with 1060 and I would get like 60 to 80 frames sometimes 90. Just depends on where I was in warzone . Same with the new card. The crazy thing is if I max out the settings I still get the same exact FPS anywhere from 60 to 90 and then like 120 in gulag 

4 minutes ago, Drakenthagod said:

The crazy thing is if I max out the settings I still get the same exact FPS anywhere from 60 to 90 and then like 120 in gulag 

Try a less cpu intensive game and try with the 1060 then the 1080 

And check the fps difference

Also monitor your temps to make sure your not thermal throttling

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Try a less cpu intensive game and try with the 1060 then the 1080 

And check the fps difference

Also monitor your temps to make sure your not thermal throttling

Any recommendations to try? and which temps am I more worried about CPU or the GPU? What is crazy in games like rust the cpu be at like 80% and the GPU about the same. Then like Warzone cpu 100% all times and then GPU from 60% all the way to 90 some % usage. I understand that my CPU might be bottlenecking it a bit but I still feel it should do better than a 1060 in all aspects. I’ll try other games like you said though 

Just now, Drakenthagod said:

Then like Warzone cpu 100% all times and then GPU from 60%

That would indicate a Bottleneck really

Just now, Drakenthagod said:

but I still feel it should do better than a 1060 in all aspects. I’ll try other games like you said though 

The thing is 

Your not gpu limited it's just 4 threads are not enough for almost anything 

Your heavily cpu bound 

Build Log: 

7 hours ago, Drakenthagod said:

So I upgraded graphics cards from a 1060 3gb to a ROG Strix gaming 8gb card. In the same games I played before even at same settings I get the same FPS . I even tried upping the settings to use more GPU to see if that helped FPS still the same. So did I just waste money? I get there maybe a bottleneck somewhere maybe even CPU but I still feel going up in literally 5GB difference in the cards and the 1080 definitely faster that even with a bottleneck I should still get a least a bit better performance.

i have a i5 6600k

the 1080

16GB DDR4 ram

750W power supply 

On modern games it's expected, i5 6600k its a HUGE bottleneck for 1080. It was a bottleneck even for 1060 on modern games. This means that anything better than a 1060 you will have NO BENEFITS at all. At least on modern games. Warzone, BF, Valorant, Wildlands, Assasins, The Division 2 and many many others.

VRAM doens't mean much about performance. It's usefull to use high resolutions only.

So it's pretty normal that you have the same performance than before. 6600k is a no go CPU for modern games. I recommend you to stop to try mitigation effort. It's useless, Maybe you can increase resolution to make 6600k botteleck less. But in the end you will have a very close fps anyway.

3 hours ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

On modern games it's expected, i5 6600k its a HUGE bottleneck for 1080. It was a bottleneck even for 1060 on modern games. This means that anything better than a 1060 you will have NO BENEFITS at all. At least on modern games. Warzone, BF, Valorant, Wildlands, Assasins, The Division 2 and many many others.

VRAM doens't mean much about performance. It's usefull to use high resolutions only.

So it's pretty normal that you have the same performance than before. 6600k is a no go CPU for modern games. I recommend you to stop to try mitigation effort. It's useless, Maybe you can increase resolution to make 6600k botteleck less. But in the end you will have a very close fps anyway.

I seen people with the same CPU get more frames than me like I know it’s a bottleneck of course it’s just Why don’t I get over 100 frames like them on the same games 

22 minutes ago, Drakenthagod said:

I seen people with the same CPU get more frames than me like I know it’s a bottleneck of course it’s just Why don’t I get over 100 frames like them on the same games 

Explain to me how a GPU that is know to bottleneck your old GTX1060 would have better framerates with GTX1080? I dont think you're paying too much attention to this. It's not possible, there's no miracle. Frames don't came from nowhere. This is a massively unbalanced rig for any modern games. Even MP games.

See it from yourself. Look at GPU usage on the games. There's no miracle. If you have lower GPU Usage or several drops, you need a better CPU and/or better memories. 

1 hour ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

Explain to me how a GPU that is know to bottleneck your old GTX1060 would have better framerates with GTX1080? I dont think you're paying too much attention to this. It's not possible, there's no miracle. Frames don't came from nowhere. This is a massively unbalanced rig for any modern games. Even MP games.

See it from yourself. Look at GPU usage on the games. There's no miracle. If you have lower GPU Usage or several drops, you need a better CPU and/or better memories. 

What are you missing ? I’ve watched videos with people with the same exact CPU I have same exact amount of ram and same exact 1080. Playing the same games that I am talking about and get more frames . It’s not like I’m playing better games than them I’m playing the same games that I see in the video with my same rig because I obviously looked it up to see what I should be expecting and I’m not getting nowhere near what they are getting. If you look up an i5 6600k and a 1080 witj 16Gb of Ram on youtube plenty of benchmarks with games running over 100 FPS . Even modern warfare 

17 hours ago, Drakenthagod said:

What are you missing ? I’ve watched videos with people with the same exact CPU I have same exact amount of ram and same exact 1080. Playing the same games that I am talking about and get more frames . It’s not like I’m playing better games than them I’m playing the same games that I see in the video with my same rig because I obviously looked it up to see what I should be expecting and I’m not getting nowhere near what they are getting. If you look up an i5 6600k and a 1080 witj 16Gb of Ram on youtube plenty of benchmarks with games running over 100 FPS . Even modern warfare 

It's very very very hard to find people with a RIG like you because, like I say, its very unbalanced, the bottleneck is absolutley huge and people know it already and try to avoid it. So it's hard to find anything useful on internet. But I find it.

Never seen a choppy and terrible gameplay like this. It's impossible to play. Look at GPU Usage drops reaching 60% just like I said. CPU Usage on 100% all the time causing micro stutterings simply because CPU is making GPU entrying on starving mode. All the time, can you see it???? GPU is basically saying: hey man, i'm here waiting for those draws, those volumetric effects, those IA calculations and those shadows calculations. C'mon! I need more. Sorry, man, this is the max I can do =/.

Performance can vary depending on 6600 clock and memory speed that is being used and resolution too, but this is pretty much what a 6600k can extract from 1080. You can tweak quality settings and things will not change much. In fact, in a situation like this, probably you can have even worst performance on low settings.

You're is missing something: the reality. It's hard, but it is what it is.

Answering your first question: Yes, you wasted money since you have the basically the 1060 performance on 1080 due to CPU limitations. Next time ask on forums before waste money and try to listen to them, something that youre not making now.

Thats it! Bye!