Hardline Tubing with Soft Tubing Fittings

Go to solution Solved by HM-2,
2 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

moral of the story keep the insert in until you are 100 % sure the bend is right otherwise it will kink and look super jank-y

Moral of the story is buy the right equipment in the first place, and use it properly.

14 hours ago, bowrilla said:

I'm sorry but I have to be frank: this is the perfect example of a tactical nuclear facepalm.

You have 2 GPUs in your system, you bought quite a hefty and expensive LianLi case, you bought a bloody distro plate and now you're cheaping out on the things that keep your rig functional or possibly destroy it.

You could have just painted a few fences or cut the lawn of some folks and get the money to have proper fittings. 

Seriously, this could be a LTT build video with Alex jerry rigging something for the fun. Difference probably is: they don't care if it breaks.

i did not cheap out .. i just modified mine to work with hard tubing and it works fine ... I got some o-rings from home depot and with a little bit of tubing and superglue .. i got all my fittings to work, but i ran out of out tubing due to bad bends ... I had one leak on the gpus... tightened the fittings and added a little silicone .... leak free .... and need to order 3 more tubes ... used soft tubing on the ones i did not have hard tube for .... fittings are fittings by the way ... o-rings are what make fittings not leak .. it you put enough o-rings in the right place, it will not leak ... i am not being ignorant or careless, i was just confident that i could make it work and i did... I did a hard tube build with white and blue 1/2 PET tubing from Home Depot with barbs where I heated the ends to force a super tight fit and then siliconed all ends, which was not even needed, that system was leak free 

7 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

i did not cheap out .. i just modified mine to work with hard tubing and it works fine ... I got some o-rings from home depot and with a little bit of tubing and superglue .. i got all my fittings to work, but i ran out of out tubing due to bad bends ... I had one leak on the gpus... tightened the fittings and added a little silicone .... leak free .... and need to order 3 more tubes ... used soft tubing on the ones i did not have hard tube for .... fittings are fittings by the way ... o-rings are what make fittings not leak .. it you put enough o-rings in the right place, it will not leak ... i am not being ignorant or careless, i was just confident that i could make it work and i did... I did a hard tube build with white and blue 1/2 PET tubing from Home Depot with barbs where I heated the ends to force a super tight fit and then siliconed all ends, which was not even needed, that system was leak free 

Looking forward to pictures of new hardlined system!

No , unfortunately i messed up a decent amount of the bends in the system ,,,, like functionally they were fine ... but cosmetically not so much .. i need longer than 12 " tube and thats what i bought !!! will buy the right fittings and right tubing and do it the right way 

1 hour ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

No , unfortunately i messed up a decent amount of the bends in the system ,,,, like functionally they were fine ... but cosmetically not so much .. i need longer than 12 " tube and thats what i bought !!! will buy the right fittings and right tubing and do it the right way 

On 6/29/2020 at 3:39 PM, JESUS IS LORD said:

i just modified mine to work with hard tubing and it works fine ... I got some o-rings from home depot and with a little bit of tubing and superglue .. i got all my fittings to work, but i ran out of out tubing due to bad bends ..

I thought you said your fittings worked fine? 

Almost like your failure to plan or listen to advice has resulted in you having to redo it. Twice.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

They did ... All the ones I used on the distro were modded soft tube .. which I used an extra oring on ... Those are leak free the ones without orings were being temperamental.. home depot was out of the size I needed... My main issue was gpu's vertically mounted in sli to cpu .. the bend was weird and my case would not shut .. this is what i have now .. mainly reverted to soft on everything but the distro ...

IMG_20200705_194834.jpg

I was able to bend soft tubing the same way per Alex on Ltt mentioned it on episode

On 6/8/2020 at 7:01 PM, JESUS IS LORD said:

IMG_20200608_185936.jpg

This was a fail .. not rated for temps, too thin and cracks

6 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

IMG_20200705_194834.jpg

Oh lordy that's one hell of a system... I was pretty sure the point of a distroplate is not to have distroplate-to-distroplate runs...otherwise why have plate if the tubes are doing the distributing...Is the reservoir in its permanent place already?...

The bends look like either you didn't use a silicon insert....or that you over heated them....

I assume the rgb... is only a placeholder... until you actually... finish the system too...

24 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

I was able to bend soft tubing the same way per Alex on Ltt mentioned it on episode

Care to... elaborate a little bit more?....If I am not mistaken, soft tubing... bends in its default state....

I bent the soft tubing on the gpu's to have 90's ... The kinks in the tubes were the first couple I did... I would have ran all to the distro but my tubes were only 12" and they would not reach ... I Am waiting on a fitting for the resivior to mount it to the pump properly... I am either going to buy new tubing that's the same as what I have and keep my fittings or just order all new and get the right length tubes.. I ordered 15 and messed up alot of them ... Hard tubing is an art form

"EVERYONE KNOWS" the more RGB, the higher your FPS and Better you will game... 

32 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

Hard tubing is an art form

Maybe ... You can help the audience ... by drawing out what you think your final runs are going to be ... Hard tubing is indeed an art form, and at the moment your art is rather ... informal ....

yes well the reason i did the distro the way i did is because i ordered 12" tubes because they were cheaper and my tubes would not reach from cpu to distro or gpu's to distro... Basically Res Feeds pump... Probably will wing it ,,, i am going to buy the bending kit its like 10$ and does perfect 90's 180" and 45% ... with the proper silicone insert ... and i am getting 500mm which is almost 20" tubes which should work ... the bent tubes happened because i had to reheat them and could not get the insert back in ... moral of the story keep the insert in until you are 100 % sure the bend is right otherwise it will kink and look super jank-y

2 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

moral of the story keep the insert in until you are 100 % sure the bend is right otherwise it will kink and look super jank-y

Moral of the story is buy the right equipment in the first place, and use it properly.

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264783868553

Ordered 20 . For $45.00 from China.. 16mm Fittings.   I am considering doing glass instead of Petg .. I can get it with pre bent 90's ... Has anyone used glass tubes? I saw Jayz 2 cents do it ... I was thinking about 1 bend rest fittings

Added ek cryo Neon Green ... Fixed the res somewhat... I had a scratch on my $150 case and then realised there was a pertective layer I never removed .. so it looks good so far ...

I am trying to decide wether to do glass tubes with pre bent 90's and 90' fittings to join everything  

Or 

PETG/Acrylic Tubes but this time buy an auto 90 to get perfect bends .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303241022110

IMG_20200706_164204.jpg

IMG_20200706_164211.jpg

On 6/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, JESUS IS LORD said:

-snip-

This thread....I have so much to say...I mean, Im pretty jank and off the wall but man this takes the cake.

The pic of that soft tubing management make my runs look like A1, The Goat, 110%, Most Excellent Soft Tubing runs ever - so thank you for that

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

so it looks good so far ...

I can't keep up with the ....'s anymore so will revert to typing normally, instead of always sounding like the post is being said on my dying last breath.

Based on your current demonstration of skill and artistic sense, I would highly recommend you stick to PETG and do not do glass.

My honest recommendation is that you get rid of that distroplate as it looks hideous in your case, it doesn't fit well where it stands, and looks like its adding unneccesary bulk because of the pump/res combo you've added in. Which is of course the exact opposite purpose of a distroplate to clean the look of the whole thing. Distroplate or cylindrical reservoir, choose one, not both.

Your GPU looks crooked in the bottom, I remember you saying if had something to do with the SLI setup and the vertical mount. Either get a proper vertical mount that can accomodate this and keep the GPU straight, or have it in the normal orientation plugged into the motherboard. At the moment it looks highly distracting.

But hey, at the end of the day, its  your system and you're the one who has to look at it, and so if you're satisfied with how it looks, you do you. But this system for me in its current state is being archived under the "not all custom loops look good" folder to use as a negative example for future builders.

4 hours ago, Tristerin said:

This thread....I have so much to say...I mean, Im pretty jank and off the wall but man this takes the cake.

The pic of that soft tubing management make my runs look like A1, The Goat, 110%, Most Excellent Soft Tubing runs ever - so thank you for that

Lol I like trying things ... The hard tubing I did the first time was blue a white and looked not shabby and was like 15$ total at home depot ...So people don't seem to realize all innovation comes from trying new things and if they don't work at least everyone else learns from my mistake ... The original idea was can you use soft tubing fittings with hard tubing ... The answer is Yes .. you have to cut off the Barb's, and use o-rings.. the only difference between mine and the legit ones is there is are two groves that hold two o-rings ... The fittings on my distro plate are modded soft tube fittings with O-Rings and 3/8 by 1/2" hard tubing.. 

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

I can't keep up with the ....'s anymore so will revert to typing normally, instead of always sounding like the post is being said on my dying last breath.

Based on your current demonstration of skill and artistic sense, I would highly recommend you stick to PETG and do not do glass.

My honest recommendation is that you get rid of that distroplate as it looks hideous in your case, it doesn't fit well where it stands, and looks like its adding unneccesary bulk because of the pump/res combo you've added in. Which is of course the exact opposite purpose of a distroplate to clean the look of the whole thing. Distroplate or cylindrical reservoir, choose one, not both.

Your GPU looks crooked in the bottom, I remember you saying if had something to do with the SLI setup and the vertical mount. Either get a proper vertical mount that can accomodate this and keep the GPU straight, or have it in the normal orientation plugged into the motherboard. At the moment it looks highly distracting.

But hey, at the end of the day, its  your system and you're the one who has to look at it, and so if you're satisfied with how it looks, you do you. But this system for me in its current state is being archived under the "not all custom loops look good" folder to use as a negative example for future builders.

I get it man ... I already bought the proper parts to Hardline it properly ... I do have my gpu's in Sli vertically mounted that's why it looks crooked ... I have two different GPU waterblocks and they are not the same height ... I want my system looking like a legit watercooling loop ...which it will when I am done

Questions for you guys .. things I could improve for the final build...

I have space behind my motherboard to mount the pump-res.. I was using the res+distro as easier way to fill the loop.. should I do that? 

I wanted to mount one of my gpu's behind the motherboard board, but I can't find an Sli bridge long enough... One of my GPU blocks is larger than the other and Sli is tight fitting ... If anyone can find me a long 10 to 15" Flexible Sli Bridge .. I could do that ...I believe Linus joined multiple bridges in one video to make a longer One and stacked one GPU on top of another... That's and option

My final build will be done with

16mm Petg tubes - 4 x 1000mm or 20" roughly

20 x 16mm Rigid Fittings

I got the silicone insert and 45, 90, 145 Degree bending kit to make perfect bends..

40 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

Just don't connect the two GPU's in a serial/parallel flow. You have a distroplate, use it. Use angled fittings so that they aren't connected to eachother so that at least its not crooked.

At this point there are so many f***ed up things about your system that means that no single suggestion from anybody is going to make it look good. The starting point is just too bad, I'll be looking forward to what kind of miracle you manage to pull off.

I'd seriously pull the whole thing apart and start again.

• Get rid of the extra res, the distro has fill ports so all it's doing is making everything messier.
  • Move back to horizontal GPU mounting, ideally with two matching blocks.
  • Plan your runs to use the minimum of both tubing and bends.
  • Don't chain components together, that defeats the point in having a distro plate. Every single component should connect to the distro and only the distro with the exception of GPUs in SLI.
  • Use proper angled fittings to avoid unnecessary bends or tubing runs