Hardline Tubing with Soft Tubing Fittings

Go to solution Solved by HM-2,
2 hours ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

moral of the story keep the insert in until you are 100 % sure the bend is right otherwise it will kink and look super jank-y

Moral of the story is buy the right equipment in the first place, and use it properly.

I have done this before with barb fittings and silicone ...  

since then i replaced all the fitting with soft tube compression fittings and now i want go full hardline....

My System takes approx 30 fittings... I have a

10 for waterway/distro block , 2 for CPU, 6 for 2 GPU'S in SLI, 4 for Pump and Rad, 4 For 2 x 360 rads, 4 for ssd waterblocks  

I was just curious if they sell a hard tubing that is 3/8 id 1/2 od ? I know they typically only go by outer diameter 

The tubing in the photo is what i used to do my system its a flexible hard tubing from home depot. 

Did not bother doing bends as it flexes , but i want to do petg tubing without splurging on all new fittings..  

white-proline-polyethylene-pipe-pe014017025c-64_1000.jpg

you would break the hardline tube trying to get it over a barbed fitting...

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Actual hardline tubing will crack and shatter on barbed fittings.

okay ive read all the comments, the way you get it to not crack is heat it up the end and then put it on really fast.it will form the tube to the fitting for a really tight fit.. other than that, it is a normal bends and so fort... 

the tubing is PET i believe .. might be similar to PETG .... I also used blue and white PET tubing in 10ft section but it only works on 1/2 or 3/4 barb fittings... 

my main concern would be the size ... hard tube runs in mm and soft tube in inches ... but i need some clear hard tubing that is 3/8 id by 1/2 od .... I did not bother hard bending anything in my current setup, but it was $10 bucks for 25 feet for 3/8 id 1/2 od compression fittings.. if you have 1/2" regular barbs ... they sell white, red, and blue PET tubing for $3.00 for 10 feet so price wise its extremely cost effective .. sell it at Home Depot..   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pc-1-2-OD-3-8-ID-DIAMETER-12-LONG-THIN-WALL-CLEAR-ACRYLIC-PLEXIGLASS-TUBES/302242942134?hash=item465f154cb6:g:oT0AAOSwnCFbxLqO

found this ... which could work ... i am mainly looking for something i can buy alot of at around $20 or $30 total... 

like physically hard tube or soft performs no different ... its all bling .... 

note to self, don't use soft tubing on a distroblock, it realy looks crap :D

and your gpu's are blocking airflow for your bottom radiator, this is actually a setup i would try to make upright SLI.. 

• 2 weeks later...

The tubing i used did not work ... it was rated for cold but not heat... since i did not bend the tubes it cracked.. it was super thin and cheap ... i did order clear acrylic tubes for watercooling 3/8id 1/2 od with an insert... and so far i attempted one .. it looks like i just need to sand the out side where the fittings attach and it should work or i will be swapping them for 1/2 barbs with a bit of silicone to form a seal ... YES i agree the soft tube looked very janky ... so the fittings for soft tubing were way cheaper than hard tubing fittings even if ordering from china, so thats why i got them and as i was ordering them i was like I am definitely gunna wanna hard tube this as soon as i get all these and after 3 months of waiting from China.... sure enough... I wanted to hard line it ....

10 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Buy cheap, buy twice. Classic

well it would have been fine if i stuck with soft tubing

5 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

well it would have been fine if i stuck with soft tubing

But then you'd be stuck with this 😂

IMG_20200608_185936.jpg

I think if you were to rearrange your soft tubing a bit more so that it isn't so intestine-y, maybe the allure of hard line would be much less. 

I'm fairly sure the core issue here is that you've plumbed your distro plate wrong. I've only got familiarity with the EK flow routing for the O11D/XL but I'm pretty sure it should be:

Top two ports for top rad (with a front fill between then IIRC)

Second two ports for CPU block

Next 4 dependent on GPU arrangement

Bottom two for lower rad

Detailed info should come with your plate.

That would massively reduce your hosing runs. When planned and configured correctly soft tubing can and does look great with a distro.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

On 6/25/2020 at 6:47 PM, HM-2 said:

I'm fairly sure the core issue here is that you've plumbed your distro plate wrong. I've only got familiarity with the EK flow routing for the O11D/XL but I'm pretty sure it should be:

Top two ports for top rad (with a front fill between then IIRC)

Second two ports for CPU block

Next 4 dependent on GPU arrangement

Bottom two for lower rad

Detailed info should come with your plate.

That would massively reduce your hosing runs. When planned and configured correctly soft tubing can and does look great with a distro.

Yeah i redid it ... the correct way ... I wanna hard tube it ... 

So the only real issue I am having is the compression fittings I have are 3/8 id 1/2 od for soft tubing .... the Acrylic rigid tube i got is 3/8 id 1/2 od however the compression fittings do not want tread because i have to heat up the ends of the tubing to make it fit on the barbs, which makes the od slightly larger ... i tried sanding the od around the fitting portion with no luck .... any thoughts ..

I am trying to avoid spending $100 in fittings + returning the tubing I got + losing money on the fittings I have + buying new tubing

I have a total of 30 or 32 fittings because the distro plate takes 10 by itself... 

There's not really many other options. Heating and stretching the tubing over your existing compression fittings is likely to cause stress cracking or other failures. And the costs of a leak when it's operating are huge compared to a hundred dollars of fittings and twenty bucks of PETG.

Anything you do to try and "force" the OD/ID to fit compression fittings is going to thin the tubing walls at the fitting junctions, which creates potential points of failure. We're not talking about a cheap system here looking at your pics so I'm totally lost as to why you're so eager to cheap out on the two components that stops the whole thing being very expensive landfill.

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

11 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

There's not really many other options. Heating and stretching the tubing over your existing compression fittings is likely to cause stress cracking or other failures. And the costs of a leak when it's operating are huge compared to a hundred dollars of fittings and twenty bucks of PETG.

Anything you do to try and "force" the OD/ID to fit compression fittings is going to thin the tubing walls at the fitting junctions, which creates potential points of failure. We're not talking about a cheap system here looking at your pics so I'm totally lost as to why you're so eager to cheap out on the two components that stops the whole thing being very expensive landfill.

because a simple option which ive done sucessfully was used 1/2 blue peg from home depot ... bent it and forced it on with a snug fit and siliconed the seam and that held fine ... i am just trying to avoid buying more fittings ... its $100 just for fittings when i have tons of fittings now ... 

Think of it this way- $100 of fittings now means you probably won't have to buy hard-line fittings for future builds either.

When you bought all those previous fittings, did you think "I'm not going to spend this money, I'll just buy some bits from the hardware store and zip tie everything together"?

It seems so counterintuitive to be obsessed enough with the aesthetic look of hard tubing to want to put completely unsuitable stuff in your system and risk a calamitous failure when you could spend a small amount of money and have no problems.

5 hours ago, HM-2 said:

Think of it this way- $100 of fittings now means you probably won't have to buy hard-line fittings for future builds either.

When you bought all those previous fittings, did you think "I'm not going to spend this money, I'll just buy some bits from the hardware store and zip tie everything together"?

It seems so counterintuitive to be obsessed enough with the aesthetic look of hard tubing to want to put completely unsuitable stuff in your system and risk a calamitous failure when you could spend a small amount of money and have no problems.

what i am saying is I am very handy and will make it work with what i have and I think i found a solution .... i took a hack saw and cut off the barb .... so now it looks exactly like a 1/2 od hard tube compression fitting and now i am going to go get some rubber washers at home depot to make it leak proof... it should convert my barbed compression fittings into regular 1/2 od compression fittings with a little elbow grease ...

28 minutes ago, JESUS IS LORD said:

good luck. Normally a soft tube compression fitting compresses the outer collar against the tubing via the inner barb. If you've cut that off, you don't have anything to compress against.

Furthermore, a hardline compression fittings has an inner O-ring (sometimes two) which acts in the same way as a push-in fitting, and then another O-ring that sits on the lip of the inner ring, and this is what is compressed by the outer collar to give it that extra seal. You currently have none of those.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

All this to what ? save a $100  ?  lol

This is the equivalent of a guy who buys a Ferrari and then tries to save money by changing his own oil with the leftover Toyota oil bottle he had laying around..

also, that's not how distro plates work, those outlets are specifically supposed to go to certain components, looks like you just said "screw it, it's a free for all"

I'm sorry but I have to be frank: this is the perfect example of a tactical nuclear facepalm.

You have 2 GPUs in your system, you bought quite a hefty and expensive LianLi case, you bought a bloody distro plate and now you're cheaping out on the things that keep your rig functional or possibly destroy it.

You could have just painted a few fences or cut the lawn of some folks and get the money to have proper fittings. 

Seriously, this could be a LTT build video with Alex jerry rigging something for the fun. Difference probably is: they don't care if it breaks.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

21 hours ago, SuperStreetFighter said:

-

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

-

Hopefully he had the brains to only cut one of the fittings and try his great idea out first, otherwise he probably would be without any kind of fittings. Although I guess that then would mean he would have to go out and buy a new set of fittings.....maybe that is for the best 😂