Zombie Mods - The TVR Sagaris.

ALXAndy

Nice, can't wait, I've been following since the i9 steambox and its nice to see how its progressed etc :)

Also, what happened to the colossus? Was that finished because I can't seem to find the topic :/

Yes it was finished mate :) I renamed it The Dark Carnival toward the end..

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60992-zombie-mods-the-dark-carnival-roll-up-roll-up/page-7

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

OK. So yesterday and today I decided to make the RAID box that can hold six 2.5" drives. At first I was scouring Ebay to see what I could find, but in the end I had a really good idea.

Some of you will remember the PSU that blew up during the last build of mine.. Basically I have used every single wire from the old one apart from the PCIE power plugs and 8 pin EPS. In fact no, I used the black EPS plug on my Dell PSU..

Any way, the only part of the PSU left was the box (shell) and the fan. So what better idea than to use the entire shell to make my RAID box?

The idea came from this thing. This is the platform the second CPU sits on if you fit one..

1_zps9b881e05.jpg

You can see I have modded it a little (the hole cut in it). OK, so here is one half of the PSU shell here.

2_zps13a659ef.jpg

That part screws down to the CPU platform. So basically I took the last of the SATA looms from the dead PSU and braided it and wired it into the box. I've fitted a Molex pass through on this.

3_zpsc9a86c31.jpg

OK, so that's the power string out of the way. Then I fitted the fan to the outside of the other half.

4_zpsc07fe2cc.jpg

That U channel really couldn't be better placed if I tried.. That will come in uber handy later :D

Fan on..

5_zps509c17a4.jpg

OK so mask the back side.

6_zps8ccd2c4d.jpg

Mark out where the drives will screw to the shell..

7_zps89bd5fcd.jpg

Then make a hole template for the drive holes..

8_zps9183b4cb.jpg

Mark and drill.

9_zpsac2221f3.jpg

Remove masking.

10_zpsdc8fd0ee.jpg

It's a little higgledy piggeldy but whatever, there's plenty of space for the drives to be clear. In case you were wondering the sixth drive sits on the bottom of the RAID box.

Fit the first drive (using the 8gb Samsung SSD for test purposes..)

11_zps8d0fc6ab.jpg

OK cool. Now to assemble the box with the drive in.

12_zps18d081fe.jpg

hehe that U channel is awesome :D So fit the platform.

13_zps3d7139d0.jpg

Reassemble some of the panels (not all ! some are awaiting laquer)

14_zpsca03767c.jpg

And.....

15_zps9507f1e9.jpg

And my RAID box is complete :) 

Please note. The box needs to be covered in black Dinoc but I'm all out.. Will order more on Tues.

I also need a fan grill to save me losing my fingers hehe.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I have a RM 750 and I hate to break it to you but the cables are bloody awful. I mean yeah, they're all black but they're as stiff as a board and really hard to work with. I ended up buying all braided extensions for mine.

I have an rm 859 and have no problems with my cables, and I have a prodigy m. They look great and the stay in place

• 3 months later...

haha it's been scrapped mate.

About three weeks ago I decided I needed more room in the workstation, so I broke down both the TVR and my Area 51 and put the hex cored Westmere rig (Dell board and CPU etc) into the Alienware.

Now that I have had my windfall and the purple monster is under way I have given the Alienware to my step daughter and her fiancee, the Dell is waiting to go to the local dump. Have stripped out everything mind you.

About three weeks ago I decided I needed more room in the workstation, so I broke down both the TVR and my Area 51 and put the hex cored Westmere rig (Dell board and CPU etc) into the Alienware.

Now that I have had my windfall and the purple monster is under way I have given the Alienware to my step daughter and her fiancee, the Dell is waiting to go to the local dump. Have stripped out everything mind you.

That's a shame. Looking forward to the purple monster though :)

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

oh damn, didnt realise you were doing another build is there a build log up or something up? :P