IS 230 watt enough?

Naeem Hossain
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You could also just go by those two lines to keep things simple. 

5v + 3.3v + 12v combined load = 200w

5v + 3.3v combined load = 95w

200w - 95 w = 105 watts  on 12v

A bit off topic, but I strongly suspect that the power supply is even worse in reality, and probably has a couple 3A or 4A diodes on the heatsink, instead of a proper rectifier package for 10-15A (more than the 9A rating for safety)

So guys hope your doing great..i wanna get a Zotac gtx 750 gpu for my pc currently using a Geforce 210.

my system has:

CPU; Intel Core 2 duo E6500 @ 2.9 ghz

Ram; 4gb ddr3

Mobo:Esonic g41(mini atx i belive)

SSD; Normal 240gb ssd

PSU: 230 watts

Pci: single port ethernet card

and a DVD-Rw drive

{i am willing to not use the dvd drive anymore}

so can can my 230 watt psu handle the gtx 750?

it could 

but it might be a little tight 

if this is not an oem build just upgrade your psu 

even something like a vs450 will be A HUGE upgrade 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

It will be be sufficient given your current specs, but I recommend getting a 80+ certified power supply with a capacity of 450 Watts. You don't loose performance or damage your components by getting a higher Watt PSU.

Newbie. Please forgive me if I say anything wrong. 

Just now, Akshay07V said:

80+ certified power supply with a capacity of 450 Watts.

that doesnt really mean anything lol

efficiency has nothing to do with quality  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you want your components to run without a problem in the long run you Must get 80+ , otherwise your power supply will end up not being able to supply the rated power to your components

If you want your components to run without a problem in the long run you Must get 80+ , otherwise your power supply will end up not being able to supply the rated power to your components

it doesnt work that way lol

80 plus just means it can supply X amount of power with X amount of lost wattage due to heat 

there are many 80 plus titanium psus that have crap soldering quality and end up being bricked in a couple of months 

Build Log: 

34 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

it doesnt work that way lol

80 plus just means it can supply X amount of power with X amount of lost wattage due to heat 

there are many 80 plus titanium psus that have crap soldering quality and end up being bricked in a cou

Edit: sorry for the wrong info *deleted now*

13 minutes ago, Akshay07V said:

FYI :

80+ certification means that the given power supply can supply the advertised power to your components for more than 80% of the time in which you use the pc,

Silver,gold and titanium are the additional efficiency ratings where the deviation in power delivery is smaller.

edit: nvm no its not 

i should have actually read it 

Edited by TofuHaroto

Build Log: 

FYI :

80+ certification means that the given power supply can supply the advertised power to your components for more than 80% of the time in which you use the pc,

Silver,gold and titanium are the additional efficiency ratings where the deviation in power delivery is smaller.

Whats the point of having a 1000 Watt power supply if it cannot supply the advertised power for even 80% of the time.

15 minutes ago, Naeem Hossain said:

So guys hope your doing great..i wanna get a Zotac gtx 750 gpu for my pc currently using a Geforce 210.

my system has:

CPU; Intel Core 2 duo E6500 @ 2.9 ghz

Ram; 4gb ddr3

Mobo:Esonic g41(mini atx i belive)

SSD; Normal 240gb ssd

PSU: 230 watts

Pci: single port ethernet card

and a DVD-Rw drive

{i am willing to not use the dvd drive anymore}

so can can my 230 watt psu handle the gtx 750?

e6500 - 20-30 watts

ram - 2-3 watts

mobo - maybe 10w 

ssd - 2 watts

dvd rw - up to 10w when writing discs , around 5w maybe when playing discs

fans , cpu cooler : 1-2 watts each

Your pc now probably uses around 60 watts, most of that from 12v output.

You have to figure out how much power your power supply can actually give on 12v output, because power supplies output multiple voltages like 3.3v and 5v and 12v.

It will be written on the power supply label. It will say 12v and some number with A after it, that's current.  12v multiplied by current value will give you the power the power supply can give on 12v.

The label may also say "total ouput on 12v should not exceed this many watts." <- that's the number you care about.

Your 230w psu  may output 230 watts in total, but a portion of that 230w can only be given on 3.3v and 5v, which your video card can't use. So it's important to actually know how much is left after you take out what your pc consumes now (around 50-60 watts for the processor, fans, dvd writer)

So for example, if the power supply says maximum 180w on 12v, then you should assume you have around 180w - 60w (current estimation) - around 10-20w for safety = 100 watts for the video card.

You can probably buy any video card that doesn't have 6 pin pci-e connectors, the sweetspot being 1650 or 1650 super ... a video card without extra pci-e connectors will use less than 75 watts, so even if your computer now consumes close to 100 watts (really far fetched, unlikely), the psu should still have enough power left for such a video card.

2 minutes ago, Akshay07V said:

FYI :

NO ... what?!

80% rating simply means that the amount of power given to components will be at least 80% of the total amount of power taken from the mains outlet , the difference being waste in the form of heat. 

So for example, a 400w 80% bronze efficiency psu will be able to give 400 watts to the components, and will do it with at least 80% efficiency which means it will actually consume:

400w .... 80%

? w  ...... 100%

= > ? w = 100 x 400 / 80 = 500w .... so the power supply took 500 watts from the mains and wasted 100 watts as heat in order to produce 400 watts that went to components. 

9 minutes ago, Akshay07V said:

FYI :

I've never heard this before in my life, genuinely would like to know where you learned this.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, Akshay07V said:

FYI :

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

yep i know that LMAO

o.O

That's incorrect. 80+ Certification is a measure of efficiency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

o.O

That's incorrect. 80+ Certification is a measure of efficiency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

yes i just noticed that 

my bad i didnt read it i kind of schemed through it 

i feel really dumb right now 

Build Log: 

Really sorry guys .I was wrong.

Thanx for correcting me tho.

14 minutes ago, Akshay07V said:

FYI :

That's not what it means. Efficiency is about how much power it will need to draw. If it's 80% efficient, then that means at 230W it will draw 287.5W from the wall.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

29 minutes ago, Akshay07V said:

It will be be sufficient given your current specs, but I recommend getting a 80+ certified power supply with a capacity of 450 Watts. You don't loose performance or damage your components by getting a higher Watt PSU.

28 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Can you find the word quality in my reply dude?

No.

Because I was never talking about it in the first place

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

e6500 - 20-30 watts

ram - 2-3 watts

mobo - maybe 10w 

ssd - 2 watts

dvd rw - up to 10w when writing discs , around 5w maybe when playing discs

fans , cpu cooler : 1-2 watts each

Your pc now probably uses around 60 watts, most of that from 12v output.

You have to figure out how much power your power supply can actually give on 12v output, because power supplies output multiple voltages like 3.3v and 5v and 12v.

It will be written on the power supply label. It will say 12v and some number with A after it, that's current.  12v multiplied by current value will give you the power the power supply can give on 12v.

The label may also say "total ouput on 12v should not exceed this many watts." <- that's the number you care about.

Your 230w psu  may output 230 watts in total, but a portion of that 230w can only be given on 3.3v and 5v, which your video card can't use. So it's important to actually know how much is left after you take out what your pc consumes now (around 50-60 watts for the processor, fans, dvd writer)

So for example, if the power supply says maximum 180w on 12v, then you should assume you have around 180w - 60w (current estimation) - around 10-20w for safety = 100 watts for the video card.

You can probably buy any video card that doesn't have 6 pin pci-e connectors, the sweetspot being 1650 or 1650 super ... a video card without extra pci-e connectors will use less than 75 watts, so even if your computer now consumes close to 100 watts (really far fetched, unlikely), the psu should still have enough power left for such a video card.

This is my power supply label. What do you think its enough?

IMG_20200604_211653.jpg

15 minutes ago, Naeem Hossain said:

Hell no, that's a 108W psu at best.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

4 minutes ago, Naeem Hossain said:

IMG_20200604_211653.jpg

Wow, that must be old.

According to the label it can only output a maximum of 9A on the 12v rail, which is 108w. CPU and GPU are powered by 12v. Effectively that's a 100w PSU. 

Probably not worth spending money upgrading such an old system with a core 2 duo CPU. Save your money and buy something else, even like an old Dell office PC with a 3rd gen i5 or such would be an improvement.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

That power supply can provide 12v x 9A = 108 watts   on 12v

Considering your system currently already uses around 50-60 watts out of that, according to my estimations, you're left with around 40 watts for a video card.

The power supply is too weak. It's not worth searching and buying a video card that consumes so little power, because you lose too much performance.

Rearrange your budget to buy a better power supply with enough power on 12v (don't just look for a high number of watts on the label, must be enough watts on 12v output) and then you'll be able to buy used video cards that are cheap but use a lot of power and have decent performance.

According to the label it can only output a maximum of 9A on the 12v rail, which is 108w. CPU and GPU are powered by 12v. Effectively that's a 100w PSU. 

how did you understand the label lol 

it took me forever to figure out its layout 

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

how did you understand the label lol 

it took me forever to figure out its layout 

The table is the same layout as what other PSUs use?

20200605_014850.thumb.jpg.a00fccb86af7badb9654ee9e824769f9.jpg

The table is the same layout as what other PSUs use?

20200605_014850.thumb.jpg.a00fccb86af7badb9654ee9e824769f9.jpg

Oh I was reading it side ways lol...

Build Log: