[Recommendation] PSU under 100$

AndrewR.

Hi Guys,

I'm currently building a new PC which will run a Ryzen 5 3600 + RX 580 8 GB + 16 GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz and I'm having a hard time picking the correct PSU and I was wondering if you guys can help me out with some suggestions.

As the title says it must be under 100$ and I don't care if it's modular or not. I've read the PSU Tier list but it's a lot of information and confused me even more, for example I noticed that Segotep GP-G series is noted in gold which means is a good PSU but Seasonic S12III is not? Did I misunderstood that?

USD? CX550, TX550M or RM550x, though there is a worldwide PSU shortage at the moment so I don't guarantee you'll be able to find either of these.

I'd go for at least a B+ tier unit from the tier list for those parts, but a B should do as well.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Yes, Segotep GP-G is the same PSU as Enermax Platimax DF, just with a different brand and (probably) different fan.

Seasonic S12III is a weird cheap design outsorced from Rui Sheng Yuan. Not as bad as the S12II, but it's kinda meh.

Idk about $ pricing but in germany the seasonic s12III 650 W or the Corsair RM650 is a good deal for about 65 €.

Especially the Corsair unit with 10 years warranty.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

Yes, Segotep GP-G is the same PSU as Enermax Platimax DF, just with a different brand and (probably) different fan.

Seasonic S12III is a weird cheap design outsorced from Rui Sheng Yuan. Not as bad as the S12II, but it's kinda meh.

So you believe Segotep GP750G to be a good option for the price? I also found CoolerMaster MASTERWATT 550W and Cooler Master MWE V2 Bronze 550 at a pretty decent price.

4 minutes ago, AndrewR. said:

So you believe Segotep GP750G to be a good option for the price? I also found CoolerMaster MASTERWATT 550W and Cooler Master MWE V2 Bronze 550 at a pretty decent price.

Why do you need 750W? Even if you upgrade to an RTX 2080 Ti you won't need it. Masterwatt and MWE V2 are good but I doubt any of them is better than the segotep apparently. Where are you from anyway?

That's the name of it, it's actually a 650W PSU

Located in Romania

3 minutes ago, AndrewR. said:

That's the name of it, it's actually a 650W PSU

Located in Romania

Wait, oh. OK then. Just make sure Segotep support exists in Romania. Like in Malaysia they didn't even bother responding me with questions.

Ok, after some more research I managed to find a Corsair TX550M, takes longer to deliver being at the supplier and not at the online shop itself.

Would 550W 43A on a single 12V rail be enough for that r5 3600 and rx 580 8 GB? I don't plan doing any OC

3 minutes ago, AndrewR. said:

Ok, after some more research I managed to find a Corsair TX550M, takes longer to deliver being at the supplier and not at the online shop itself.

Would 550W 43A on a single 12V rail be enough for that r5 3600 and rx 580 8 GB? I don't plan doing any OC

That's plenty for your system. And your PSU's choice is decent so i think you're good, even if you plan to upgrade to say a 2070 super, you won't need to swap your PSU.

Did a bit of research for TX550M and apparently it can get louder than usual PSU's, is that correct? I do believe that can cause some discomfort for me :(

5 hours ago, AndrewR. said:

Did a bit of research for TX550M and apparently it can get louder than usual PSU's, is that correct? I do believe that can cause some discomfort for me :(

It's not that it's loud, but it isn't quiet either.

nEAs5e9D2zawPPZbivzBZT-650-80.png

Mg8AA3xpRdgkcyAYrFve2X-650-80.jpg

As you see, RPMs even at low load are quite high (that's 40°C ambient test tho, it would be lower under normal ambient), and it reaches 25dBa under ~300W load while other high-end PSUs barely reach that level at full load. But we don't know how Segotep performs noise wise and you don't have much other choices apparently.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

31 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's not that it's loud, but it isn't quiet either.

It's definitely fine, about as loud as my GPU

@AndrewR. You wouldn't be able to hear it unless you are building a silent PC. You would hear your RX 580 fans more than the PSU fan.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

NZXT E650 if you mange to get hold of now.

I got one surplus, just knew the low prce (80€) would not be long.

I edit my posts more often than not

There are a few other options like SilentiumPC, a few 80+ Bronze Seasonic, FSP, Cooler Master, Super Flower, Thermaltake. Nzxt is rare here, as most of their products.

Apparently Segotep is dead silent even in full load, I've asked around in a local group

So frustrating getting a PSU :)) so many options